Pink Floyd - The Early Years 1965-1972 Box Set - Realiz/ation (Content, tracks, etc. ONLY!)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stereoptic, Nov 2, 2016.

1. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

Yeah, I meant no issues on the 1965 vs the previous vinyl/itunes release. One day I'll definitely look into trying to match the best bootleg source and patch out the tape damage.

Sorry, can't help you on the blu-ray question. I don't have the set. A friend sent me the Syd audio to check out and compare. Won't be able to check out the videos until I visit him and am not sure when that might be. He doesn't have a blu-ray player or I'd ask about the jittering.

2. bcaulf

bcaulf Forum Resident

AFAIK, no, but this was just discovered today. Maybe somebody will figure out a way to do it with more time.

3. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

I have the box but not a BD drive. This is depressing :(

Hopefully a Meddle box set is in the works.

4. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

The complaint is about 1967 BBC tracks, not the other years.

5. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

Isn't the 1974 version available as an extra on the diector's cut DVD?

6. Sander

Sander Senior Member

Yes, the original concert film is available as an extra on the DVD (just checked).

andrewskyDE and bobcat like this.
  7. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

Is it a new stereo mix?

makedatmusic likes this.
  8. Sander

Sander Senior Member

My impression is also that these two video's look better than on the Dark Side Immersion.

It would have been nice to have the entire Live at Brighton Dome as an audio CD in this set, but that would have meant including an early version of Dark Side of The Moon (or Eclipse as it was then called) and I guess they didn't want't to go there.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2016
    andrewskyDE likes this.
  9. RobCooper

RobCooper Cobwebs & Strange

Just to say, these covers are greatly appreciated - ripping my box set to FLAC at the moment and these look great as the album art!

saundr00 and andrewskyDE like this.
  10. Yayastone

Yayastone Forum Resident

Sorry for the glare.. *BONUS Disk*

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 13, 2016
  11. fjtull

fjtull Forum Resident

Where did you buy your box set from? Thanks

12. Sander

Sander Senior Member

Darn, I really want to hear this new stereo mix (I don't have surround capability). I'm going to have to buy one of those stand alone Blu-ray players so that I can extract the audio. What an unexpected treat!

13. Mark R Jones

Mark R Jones Beatles fan from 10 years old

At 2:26 in 'In The Beechwoods' someone can bear heard speaking. Any idea what they're saying and who it is?

14. Yayastone

Yayastone Forum Resident

Photo taken from work!
    VERY tempting purchase..

15. Ern

Ern Senior Member

All those of you who have the box, search your Blu-Ray's and DVD's, maybe there's a stereo Arnold Layne and Point Me At The Sky hidden in there!!!

andrewskyDE and Rooster_Ties like this.
  16. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

The first half of Dark Side (Speak to Me - Great Gig) was recorded on the 17th, the rest on the 16th. No idea about the Animals tracks though.

andrewskyDE likes this.
  17. Scream thy last scream - does it sound to anyone else as though they've tried to sync the chipmunk vocal with the lead? Listen to the first 'scrubbing bubbles' section. Chipmunk is also to hidden in the mix, and has some weird effect on it. And the "ch ch ch's" at the end have gone. Don't like this version of the track. :(

Beechwoods amazing though and veg man decent if a little bottom heavy.

18. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

Thank you for this. I don't want to derail the thread, so is there an ongoing discussion anywhere on how best to extract files from a blu-Ray and burn them to a new disc?

Jerry Horne and Haggis Wampovich like this.
  19. Charles Cooper

Charles Cooper Well-Known Member

True, I already thought I may have received a faulty disc, which seems unlikely. Admittedly it's been a good while since I watched the dvd, but I don't remember this distortion. I have yet to watch the blu-ray included in the box

20. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

Thanks for this!

Did you downmix this to stereo? I ask this because on the first part, the bass has a strange "ping pong" effect sounding "galloping", where it should be continuous, like an "helicopter"

21. Charles Cooper

Charles Cooper Well-Known Member

To me it also sounds distorted....

22. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

He said he got this from the stereo (re)mix that was lurking on the Blu-Ray.

Surely these aren't here by accident. Someone has thought "Na, screw it. I'll just remove the menu options and tell them I've removed the audio as well. They won't notice until it's too late."

andrewskyDE and makedatmusic like this.
  23. Sigma6

Sigma6 Forum Resident

Camel Toe?

24. Munros1969

Munros1969 Forum Resident

Replacement arrived from Amazon UK. Pleased to report that bonus disc was included this time. Unlike original order this set was wrapped and double boxed, with an Early Years cardboard strip around the base of the set. Makes me wonder if the original order I received was a set Amazon had lying loose whereas replacement was a straight lift from manufacturer. Time to enjoy the music...

25. opiumden

opiumden Forum Resident

The mix used in the DVD/Blu-Ray is less distorted. They used a slightly different mix (or master, since the distorted drum sounds are still there).
    At least it doesn't sound bad all the way through. And maybe, that distortion was always there, but was rarely discussed since we never heard the drums this clear before.

I think each mix has its pros and cons. 2016 mix has clarity, while the old mixes have warmth and obscurity.
    But hopefully they could do something about this issue when Pompeii gets a standalone release.