Pink Floyd - The Early Years 1965-1972 Box Set - Realiz/ation (Content, tracks, etc. ONLY!)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stereoptic, Nov 2, 2016.

1. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

No. IIRC, according to Andy Jackson, the first half (Speak To Me - The Great Gig In The Sky) is from November 16th, the second half (Money - Eclipse) is from the night before, November 15th.
    (So, should you wish to play everything chronologically, you should start with Money and end with Great Gig ;-) )

I'm curious myself about the recording dates of the other tracks (Shine On, Raving And Drooling, Got To Be Crazy and the Echoes encore).
    Anyone?

bcaulf likes this.
  2. Billy_Sunday

Billy_Sunday ... formerly ThirdBowl

Interesting topic here (and sort of off-topic) but in defense of the above, I have always found the static setlist tours a bit less engaging than when setlists are mixed up on a regular basis. Of course Pink Floyd was never going to be a Grateful Dead type band that plays 3 or even shows in a row without repeating a single song. I think my experience as a 'deadhead' really informed my perspective on this. Either way, going into a show knowing in advance what is going to be played, in general, is less exciting than having no idea what will be played. I think this is where T_C is coming from.

That said, I would gladly go back in time to go on Pink Floyd tour n 1977 and experience that "static" setlist, live, multiple times in a row. Or 1980 /81 for multiple Wall shows. While on 77 tour with the Floyd I would probably wander over to the GD tours that year as well....

3. PES

PES Forum Resident

OK, I'm not sure this is the right thread for this, but in my box set, I did not get the 2016 remix of "Obscured by Clouds" in PFREY 6. Instead the CD was the soundtrack from "Live in Pompeii", including an additional unreleased version of "Careful With That Axe, Eugene". Six tracks in all. Another oddity was that the titles for "A Saucerful of Secrets" and "Set The Controls for the Heart of the Sun" were reversed on the disc (i.e. Track 2 was actually "Set...", not "Saucerful" and vice versa). Anybody else cone across this (perhaps it's already been covered in another thread, so I apologize if this is old news). I will say that whatever the cause I think this glitch turned out to be a better fit for the CD portion IMHO. Finally I did luck out another way in that my Blu-Ray discs 6 & 7 were fine.

4. Nasnandos

Nasnandos Forum Resident

That's the Pompeii disk everyone got that was included by mistake - and yes, the songs are mis-labeled on all - but you were supposed to also get the OBC disk packed in a paper sleeve, loose in the box.

5. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Huh?

6. Nasnandos

Nasnandos Forum Resident

If you want more detail on those two disks, re-read the thread. It has been discussed dozens of times.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
    bobcat likes this.
  7. zinan

zinan Forum Resident

Perhaps, the answer to this constant question needs to be placed in the first post of a subject? As well as information on replacement of not working BD

bobcat likes this.
  8. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

So I've recently picked up the Immersion sets for Dark Side and Wish You Were Here. Were there really no BBC sessions for those years, or filmed concerts? I'm surprised that there is so much video content for the '67 - '72 years but supposedly nothing for the rest of the '70s.

Billy_Sunday likes this.
  9. bcaulf

bcaulf Forum Resident

I was curious about this as well, especially the video content. There has to be more than just documentaries. Then again, maybe there isn't. As far as BBC Sessions I'm not sure much exists after 1971 but I know that the DSOTM set at Wembley in 1974 (found in the Immersion set) was broadcast by the BBC.

andrewskyDE likes this.
  10. Nasnandos

Nasnandos Forum Resident

I agree. It would be much easier to simply refer people back to the first post in this thread, if the OP could add this. I think posts can only be edited after a certain period of time though. Using the search function does not pull up the info easily.

I don't have the info on getting a replacement for a missing disk, as I never had that problem, but here is all the info from this thread about the Pompeii CD supplied in error and the OBC CD that was included as a replacement.

Live at Pompeii and Obscured By Clouds CD Info -
    The OBFUSC/ATION 1972 includes a CD (PFREY 6) containing a remix of Pink Floyd's Live at Pompeii soundtrack. PF found out they don't have rights for an audio only version of Pompeii, so this was supposed to have been pulled from the set and replaced with a remaster of Obscured by Clouds. They apparently did not get things stopped in time and the factory had already manufactured and packed the Pompeii CDs in the OBFUSC/ATION cases. So you get both disks, but the OBC CD is in a paper sleeve, packed loose in the Early Years box. Some people are missing this disk, but it is supposed to be included.

The OBC disk states on the disk label that it is a "Replacement disk for 2016 stereo mix of Pink Floyd 'Live at Pompeii' supplied in error". The disk is a complete remix of OBC, not a remaster. Instruments levels and their stereo field placement have been remixed, EQ changed, slapback echo has been added to some of the drums, and David's guitar solos have more delay and reverb added for a 'wetter' sound. Some people have complained that it sounds too bright.

A few notes about the Pompeii CD:
    • The Pompeii CD was an error, and the disk contents are not officially listed in the song lists. Since it is in the box, PF's website and Facebook page, as well as some Early Years product content descriptions, promoted its inclusion - "Pink Floyd fans ordering 'The Early Years 1965 - 1972' will get an extra piece of the band's history. The box-set will now also include a supplementary disc featuring the band's seminal Live At Pompeii concert as a 2016 audio mix. The 6 tracks totaling over 67 minutes include live versions of 'Careful With That Axe, Eugene', 'Set the Controls For The Heart Of The Sun', 'One of These Days', 'A Saucerful Of Secrets', 'Echoes' and an alternative take of 'Careful With That Axe, Eugene'."
    • There is also an error in the disk ID tags - the song titles for "A Saucerful of Secrets" and "Set The Controls for the Heart of the Sun" are mistakenly switched.
    • The beginning of A Saucerful of Secrets on the CD is a few minutes longer than the film version. Andy Jackson restored this cut section when he did the remix
    • The disk also includes an alternate, unreleased version of "Careful With That Axe, Eugene".
    • There is crackling distortion in parts of Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun, Saucerful of Secrets, and the funky part of Echoes.
    • The disk is a complete remix of Pompeii, not a remaster. Some people have complained that it sounds too bright.

11. Ron2112

Ron2112 Forum Resident

Mmmmmm......not to derail this thread, but if you count the full Europe '72 release, the 50 Circles box, and the download-only shows (only on iTunes now), the Grateful Dead are very close to -- if not slightly over -- 200 complete shows released. With no signs of stopping soon.....

andrewskyDE likes this.
  12. Thelonious_Cube

Thelonious_Cube Epistrophe of Light

Yes, exactly. From the Dead I expanded into jazz and in that world a fixed setlist is relatively rare (and even when it does occur, the playing is usually so varied that it doesn't much matter). The element of surprise, the sense that this concert is being "built" right before your eyes, witnessing the process of creation - these are a large part of what makes live music great for me.

13. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Having a schizophrenic day? :p

There are no filmed performances or TV appearances by the band during this period. Their increased popularity with DSOTM meant they didn't have to do these kinds of things any more. The Immersions represent what they had at the time. Unfortunately that's it.

14. bcaulf

bcaulf Forum Resident

I think so. But maybe not. Then again, I might be......no.

"I've been mad for f****** years, absolutely years..."

:biglaugh::biglaugh:

15. the Deacon from Deetroit

the Deacon from Deetroit Active Member

The Phonodisc (P) copyright date would still be the date of the album's original release.

revolution_vanderbilt likes this.
  16. the Deacon from Deetroit

the Deacon from Deetroit Active Member

The Phonodisc (P) copyright date would still be the date of the album's original release because it is the same recording, just a different mix.

17. Dömök Szabolcs

Dömök Szabolcs New Member

What a great post, thanks for all these details!!!!

18. BarneyRubble

BarneyRubble Well-Known Member

Could it be done that the info with regards to the Pompeii/OBC mixup, as well as the info on the potentially defective discs, could both be put in a separate thread for easy referral/hyperlink, and then that thread be closed off immediately to new comments so that the same challenges don't end up occurring there (ie. people preferring to ask anew instead of combing through hundreds of pages)? Or should that thread be left open to comments and any new question is answered with "Refer to Page 1 of the thread"?

19. BarneyRubble

Phonodisc? That's news to me (and cool too, if it is the case :) )... I always thought the (P) meant Production and the (C) meant Copyright.

20. BarneyRubble

My first thought was at the mention, in the 1972 interviews, that the band members were beginning to feel they were saying "yes" to too many commitments (perhaps this was a French TV interview, with an answer given in French by David? I'm still impressed that he's (or was) able to function in the French language with his pronunciation being rather well too :) ...Merci, David! :D ). As soon as I saw the question asked as to why there are no BBC recordings post-Dark Side, this interview came right back to mind.

Speaking of the box set, I'm still completely puzzled as to the intro the French TV host gave for their "let's just play along with the record" performance from the ASoS years. I guess it looked better for the production crew than to say, "The band's ready to play all this stuff live, but we don't have the equipment to accommodate them?" Anyone know the real story behind this (thankfully) unique performance?

21. Nasnandos

Nasnandos Forum Resident

The (P) actually stands for "phonogram", which is the copyright law legal term used to describe any sound recording - LP, CD, tape, or whatever. It's simply the copyright symbol used for sound recordings.

Max Florian, andrewskyDE and anth67 like this.
  22. BarneyRubble

Thanks! I was tickled by the mention of "Phonodisc", as there used to be a manufacturing/distribution company in Canada by that name... my Canadian pressing of Man's "Revelation" (on the Pye label) came with a psychedelically pink-and-orange inner sleeve announcing it was made by Phonodisc. :)

23. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

^^^ This. That symbol denotes who owns the actual recording while the (c) denotes who owns the intellectual property copyright.

Max Florian and zphage like this.
  24. Merman

Merman Forum Resident

Schizofrenic??? I´m bleeding Quadrophenic.

25. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

Regarding the AHM quad mix, just noticed the newest edition of the Glenn Povey book has entries for quad mixing taking place in late March '72.

Meanwhile, what is going on in the right channel in the stereo remix of Pompeii? The mix itself isn't exactly gentle but I don't mind it. That static/distortion surely isn't in the original recordings (whereas I think the drum distortion is on the recordings) so was surely evident when Andy Jackson remixed it. Nevermind.

Is the static on the 5.1 mix in the same places? Cannot get away with much surround sound listening with a small baby in the apartment these days.

Also, the Meddle stereo remix - I like it. Again, hardly a gentle sound but the Sax remaster, which is how I know the album, sounds like a cloud, which I like. This is a lot clearer, for better and for worse. It's nice to have another version. I suspect that it and the OBC stereo remix were done as part of the preparation of the 5.1 mixes, hence why they're not that different. Quite ridiculous that they did these mixes but that they were excluded from the box (well, sort of) except for the OBC stereo remix.

If there ended up being a Meddle/OBC surround release down the track, would you still buy it in light of already having the Meddle 5.1? I think I would...I think.

Kalli likes this.