Pink Floyd - The Early Years 1965-1972 Box Set - Realiz/ation (Content, tracks, etc. ONLY!)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stereoptic, Nov 2, 2016.

1. bcaulf

bcaulf Forum Resident

2. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Yes. Thats just the picture they are using.

Offical Floyd site has the real deal.

andrewskyDE likes this.
  3. zinan

zinan Forum Resident

4. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

Don't want to dwell on it because I'm glad I have the full thing, but I'm a bit (just a bit) disappointed at how much of the extra stuff (ticket stubs etc) is included in the individual volumes. I knew it was coming, but it sort of feels like the full box has something missing; as Runicen says upthread, there's a lot of dead space in that box, so it's as if there was something else (the van? a larger book?) to go in there that they decided to ditch once the whole thing was manufactured.

5. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

It is quite poorly designed as a whole I think. The booklets in the sets seem quite fragile and are difficult to hold open, the stuff in the wallets is a pain to take out and put back in, the box is too big for the content and it's difficult to remember what is on what disc. I think they made it 'big' so that they could charge a 'big' price.

6. Dieu

Dieu Forum Resident

I like them.

7. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

Right with you on the way the inserts slot into the top of the wallets, why did they make it so awkward, a side slot would have been better.

8. amonjamesduul

amonjamesduul Forum Resident

From what I have read the original idea was to have the box shaped like a van hence the large rectangle ,but once that did not happen everything could have fit in a normal box size set unless maybe the cost off set a redesign.I'm just starting to be able to tell the difference between the volumes myself,a big number on the spine would have been nice.

9. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

It struck me pretty immediately once I got my copy open, but it did really seem like there was supposed to be something else included in the box. The memorabilia/singles box slotted into the bottom didn't need as much space as it was given and the books themselves take up just a little over half the total space. I can only guess at the thought process, but it really looks like there was a late game modification of the box contents. Given the issue with the Meddle 5.1 being hidden on the disc (incidentally, which one contains that?) and the Pompeii disc being included by accident, I get the sense that a lot of last-minute shuffling went on even after these were sent to the manufacturer.

amonjamesduul likes this.
  10. ottoman79

ottoman79 Forum Resident

Yea, big oversight if you ask me.

11. zinan

zinan Forum Resident

The box offers two Corporal Clegg versions:
    1968 GERMIN/ATION 'Tienerklanken', Brussels, Belgium, 18-19 February
    BONUS CONTINU/ATION Stuggart, Germany, 22 July 1969

12. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

Same thing with Jugband. The film has an alternate mono mix, not the standard stereo mix as featured in the set.

13. ottoman79

ottoman79 Forum Resident

Have you ever heard that mono mix? I always thought that one was trashed like the live vocal Emily on TOTP (which I've heard and is indeed in very rough shape).

14. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

Happy with my box set, but it struck me that the six individual volumes would cost about 250 euros, whereas I paid 423 for the box. This means the (mostly inferior sounding) Continu/ation set, the singles and the extra memorabilia was 173 euros! And I even got a 20% discount, or the extras would have been 279! Outrageous. And the Pompeii cd isn't exclusive anymore either.

15. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

Just the one on the bootleg transfer which I believe was recorded with the a video camera's microphone from the projector's speaker. It definitely sounds rough on this transfer, but not like TOTP where it's screwed up and missing parts. I wonder what a professional transfer of the Jugband film soundtrack sounded like. Also, Chris M believes the tape for this mix still exists on a reel, so they may not have even needed to use the film soundtrack to get the right mix.

andrewskyDE and ottoman79 like this.
  16. ottoman79

ottoman79 Forum Resident

Well, I'll keep my fingers crossed that we get that one , and of course that Corporal Clegg mix (which sounds like a single mix to these ears) someday. In fact the CC mix may just be my favorite mix if not just for the neding that wraps everything up, but for the extra guitar bits.

andrewskyDE and rnranimal like this.
  17. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

I believe that's what Chris said the Jugband film mix was as well- a proposed single mix.

andrewskyDE and zinan like this.
  18. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

I'm sure other people have hit on this by now, but I'd like to say that I'm floored by the quality of some of the video content. Still on Cambridge St/ation, but on watching clips for vids like "The Scarecrow," I could see someone who didn't know better assuming this was relatively recent footage, not film from the late '60s.

19. georgwithoutane

georgwithoutane Forum Resident

The drums are pretty bland on See-Saw, which fits in with its rather bland "qualities" as a song. They don't sound very much like Mason on that one, but Paint Box does: busy, much like Remember a Day.

andrewskyDE, anth67 and Big Pasi like this.
  20. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

Yeah, that sounds more like Norman Smith ;) May he be resting in joy and peace. He did oversee the formative Floyd albums, arrange the choir for the 6/26/69 Celestial Voices performance, and...most importantly...he was a man who knew The Rutles.

zobalob and davenav like this.
  21. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

I'm trying not to think about what I (over)paid for the box o_O At the time I knew I couldn't wait. And I'd have paid that much for the material if someone at EMI had secretly contacted me with an offer, instead of the official release.

I need to get those "Games For May" and "Massed Gadgets" posters up on a wall somewhere. Since I paid so much for 'em!

Sytze and Kalli like this.
  22. zinan

zinan Forum Resident

I purchased this box for all-in cost (the preorder amazon). To receive this purchase was huge joy! I am not sorry about the paid money. There is no sense now to regret that someone has an opportunity to receive these unique materials for the smaller price.
    Many years ago back I purchased WYWH cd (two tracks) very expensively.
    Recently I saw on discogs that someone purchased this cd for €6:53 Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here .
    But it absolutely doesn't disturb me! I am happy to have my copy and is glad for those who received this cd too

RaulCF, Simon A, JimSpark and 4 others like this.
  23. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

No regrets but I do wonder how they could arrive at such a hefty price. Word was the video research and restoration was costly. Fair enough, but judging from the prices of the individual sets, only three months after the release of the box, it could have been cheaper.

24. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

My Guess is Big Box covers all costs plus small profit, while individuals are all profit.

The usual shifty accounting tactics.

Zongadude and Runicen like this.
  25. Dieu

Dieu Forum Resident

"The set also contains an unexpected bonus 6-track CD of remixed Live In Pompeii tracks – exclusive to this box" (Pink Floyd's Facebook page 11 novembre 2016). This is good news ;)

Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
    Six Bachelors likes this.