Pink Floyd - The Early Years 1965-1972 Box Set - Realiz/ation (Content, tracks, etc. ONLY!)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stereoptic, Nov 2, 2016.

1. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Well, I'm a musician, too. Maybe professional but just hobby-wise. I heard the new mix of 'Vegetable Man' on that BBC radio show months ago and I couldn't hear any difference.
    It's just a restored (and try-to-be-good sounding) new mix. Generally the song sounds weak to me. I don't prefer any mix I heard of the song before.^^

bobcat and CusBlues like this.
  2. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I'm a forum expert and I can assure you all average posters that it can't happen here :D.

bobcat, The_Windmill, LarsO and 6 others like this.
  3. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

Okay. I have the Meddle 5.1 extracted as an .mkv file, and I can play that on a data DVD-R, or a USB drive on my blu-ray player, but I have friends who would love to hear this, but don't have the capability to play the .mkv file like I do. How to I get the .mkv file converted to a format I can burn to a DVD? I want the video and everything intact as well. There has to be a way to "unpack" the .mkv file and make a DVD directory out of it (at least one would think so!).

4. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

My guess is Matilda Mother, which is structured almost exactly as he's describing.

Sytze, anth67 and andrewskyDE like this.
  5. Lownote30

What about the video portion?? I want to get the Meddle 5.1 mkv converted to a file format that can be burned to a DVD with the video intact.

6. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Cuz I've been checking it out...
    They had a swimming pool

7. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff Thread Starter

Use DVDAudioExtract, and use the pulldown option for source and point to the MakeMKV directory. (this is just for the audio, no video)

8. Lownote30

I already have the .mkv file which has the video and audio in it. I don't have a blu-ray drive, so someone else thankfully made the mkv file for me. I want to convert it to properly author a DVD with video and audio (5.1).

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
  9. JediJoker

JediJoker Audio Engineer/Enthusiast

You'll need some kind of DVD authoring software. Could be something as simple as Toast, if it supports MKV as an input file. DVD-V spec does not allow for lossless surround, however, but you could make an AVCHD disc (Blu-ray authoring on a DVD) to get around that limitation, assuming you have a compatible player. I don't think there is a consumer solution for authoring a DVD-A/V (or even a DVD-A, for that matter).

Lownote30 likes this.
  10. chrisrsprague

chrisrsprague New Member

What I ended up doing was as follows:

1. Use MakeMKV (as you have already done) to back-up and create the Meddle 5.1 MKV file.
    2. User tsMuxeR to create an ISO from the MKV file
    3. Use ImgBurn to write that ISO to a DVD-R disc (it's an AVCHD disc, but plays fine on my old Sony Blu Ray player).

Worked like a charm. When I play it in my old Sony BDP-S570, it auto plays, with the song titles on the screen, and contains all 3 audio tracks, and is able to play them flawlessly.

Hymie the Robot likes this.
  11. Lownote30

I just got a new universal player, and the specs say it does play AVCHD, so this looks like the solution. It looks like I'll have to use TsMuxer and then ImgBurn to do it. From what I've seen with doing it that way, I don't know if the chapters will remain intact. I might need to create a custom TOC to do that, but it will be worth it. The mkv file fits on a regular DVD fine when I make it a data disc. I'm wondering if it will still fit after I try making the AVCHD. Thanks for your help!

JediJoker likes this.
  12. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

Audiomuxer will make an AVCHD very simply from the mkv.

13. Hymie the Robot

Audiomuxer will make a dvd, but like you said, I won't be lossless audio if you want the 5.1 audio portion.

14. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

I'm hoping that all this tech talk will eventually be cleaned up moving it to a more appropriate thread.

15. Hymie the Robot

You won't be able to do that with a dvd and keep the lossless audio, sorry. AVCHD or bluray if you have a bluray drive is compatible.

JediJoker likes this.
  16. Hymie the Robot

There is a ripping 101 thread @ quadraphonicquad...I will look for the link. I don't remember seeing one here like that. Maybe a mod could start one.

Here is the qq one

zphage likes this.
  17. Sputnik

Sputnik Member

I've listened to the Box set on Spotify and I liked it - fantastic music I never heard before.

Anyway, I have some questions. The "Love Scene" Versions 7 and 2 are similar to the track "Oenone" on the "Pink Floyd Anthology II" bootleg. Am I right? Correct me if I'm wrong.

The other question is the missing track "Interstellar Overdrive" from the Ummagumma album. According to Povey and Russel's book "In the Flesh - The Complete Performance Guide" IO was recorded for the Ummagumma album, but it was removed. What happened to it? Why isn't it included in the box?

Even if the Box is on Spotify, I have plans to get the individual volumes in the future. Cheers!

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
  18. Lownote30

Maybe my friends will just have to stop by my place to hear it then. My player will play the mkv file straight off a data disc, or a USB drive. The only problem is that my newest player doesn't recognize the chapter breaks in mkv files. I can deal with fast forwarding, though, if I don't feel like hearing Seamus.

Hymie the Robot likes this.
  19. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

Spot on, re: Oneone (aka Oenone, etc). Various takes & versions of this ambient space music circulate ~ the box includes a couple of them, but only one at full-length (since they all run 6-7 minutes). Not surprising, really, that they wouldn't include all of them, nor that they'd edit length for official release. I'm impressed they kept one long.

RE: UmmaGumma Interstellar, this got some healthy discussion in the original thread. My personal guess is that the Dec '68 BBC one already covers that territory -- same period of the band. The UmmaGumma one's overall sound quality (if what circulates really is the official outtake) is superior, but not the performance nor the mix IMO. The BBC performance wins hands down. An August '69 IO performance is also included in the box in perfect quality, but sadly only the last few minutes that exist.

20. Hattipper

Hattipper Forum Resident

Seamus was quite enjoyable as well

21. xTraPlaylists

xTraPlaylists I bring order to chaos.

Sorry about this. I was gonna say something about starting a new thread and I'm one of the people benefitting from it. :hide:

But I will say that this is directly related to trying to get the content off the disc. If you pop the Bluray in any old home player, you can't access it. So it's pretty close to a content discussion. But I hear ya! I'm sure it's annoying for people not interested in it. :buttkick:

JediJoker and Hattipper like this.
  22. central616

central616 Forum Resident

No way. The only difference between the studio and the box versions of Matilda Mother is the part sung by Wright. Well, it's a new mix, but the instruments are exactly the same. I think this man IS refering to VM, but he listened only to the BBC version, which, in my opinion, is much better than the studio one.

23. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

There's some additional guitar stabs heard on the remix version, right after the vocal "999" during the bridge ~ though I'm pretty sure that whole bridge was spliced & replaced for the Piper version. Assuming so, could be a separate guitar track, or just the same one but from a previously spliced out portion. The "Sunshine" backing vocal was added for Piper, also ~ perhaps to help cover up the splice. There's definitely a cut-in at "For all the time spent in that room"....

24. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Try Sony DVD Architect Studio. You can create your own DVD/BluRay with everything video related, including own menu linking and stuff.
    Just put any video file you wanna have onto the disc project, when you export the project into an *.ISO file the software will convert all video files into DVD files automatically without much loss of quality.
    You can burn the ISO result into an actual DVD later, of course. The software itself looks very professional but isn't much complicated to use for average DVD creators. There are some free trial versions of the software out there.

Lownote30 and JediJoker like this.
  25. Sputnik

Sputnik Member

Thanks for the information! Actually I meant "Love Scene Version 1"; my finger slipped. :p

When it comes to lost tracks, I don't miss "Mademoiselle Nobs" on the Pompeii disc; when it comes to blues, I prefer listening to Howlin' Wolf than Howlin' Dog.:laugh:

anth67 and revolution_vanderbilt like this.