Pink Floyd - The Early Years 1965-1972 Box Set - Realiz/ation (Content, tracks, etc. ONLY!)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stereoptic, Nov 2, 2016.

1. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

John Latham was my biggest interest and curiosity in the box. As a huge Syd fan, it's not exactly all I'd hoped for. It's not a loss either. It is rather spiky and abrasive. We've known for years that the band would play late-night extended sets of music. This may very well the type of thing they'd dip into at some points. I can appreciate it, and will listen to it on occasion. It grows on you.

The only negative I can find is that it doesn't have any of Syd's pop magic. It's industrial noise. It wasn't recorded as a single or an album, it was done by request for a film project. It adds another dimension to what we know of the band, and although we also finally have Stockholm it's a shame we don't have a full UFO night.

2. bcaulf

bcaulf Forum Resident

Awesome! Looks like I have many choices for cover art to use after all. I was initially afraid I would have to use my own shoddy scanning skills to scan the books, and I don't have any knowledge about cleaning up images. I really appreciate the dedication you're putting into making high quality scans, and to @andrewskyDE as well!

andrewskyDE likes this.
  3. Finrod Artîwelë

Finrod Artîwelë Forum Resident

That would be "Song 1" on GERMIN/ATION but in a different mix/with added filters and a lot of reverb! And I kinda like it more than the "dry" version now haha

hallucalation likes this.
  4. yarbles

yarbles Too sick to pray

Become a media freeloader type who has no interest in the band. Then you'll probably get one for free.

5. AlanDistro

AlanDistro Forum Resident

No problem, it's all work I'd be doing for myself anyway, happy to share what I can. I eventually want to make covers for the various concerts and unreleased singles, etc etc but that gets more into fantasy realm. Then to rip and compile all the audio from the BluRays that's not included on the CDs so I can listen to everything in JRiver (already did Meddle of course, but there are a ton of videos that have no corresponding CD audio). That'll be a bigger project, but at least I'll be getting my money's worth from the box.

qtrules likes this.
  6. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Looks great, man. Thanks for sharing!
    Hey, do you still have the raw pictures of the colored stuff (stones and bubbles or what this is)? I'd like to make something with it, too, if I may.

7. yarbles

yarbles Too sick to pray

Having just endured it for the first time, my only positive observation is at least it's shorter than Metal Machine Music.

bobloblaw, Ern and marmalade166 like this.
  8. rcrawley

rcrawley Gotta keep on movin and groovin...

I'm right there with you. I've been meticulously ripping, tagging, importing (into iTunes just for catalog management) and archiving each CD and Blu-ray in sequence since Friday night. It's been no easy ordeal given the amazing pool of music to weed through in the first place but then coupled with how things start to get a bit out of sequence (no pun intended) once you hit Reverber/ation. I've spent probably a good 3 hours alone on this one book, granted much of that was comparing the Meddle mixes. I'm hopeful I can get through Obfusc/ation and Continu/ation today so I can just put these on in sequence first thing Monday and have an otherworldly soundtrack for my work week. :)

Listening-wise I've only had a chance to really dig into Cambridge St/ation, which is simply amazing. Despite some of the issues that we've all uncovered with production, this box set is truly amazing and well worth the Amazon UK price.

9. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

It's weird that someone is making artwork for this when it already is supplied when you rip the discs. I put the ripped files on my FiiO X5 and there is artwork for each CD.

10. Haven't opened my box yet. Is the van inside or is this strictly a promotion item being sent to industry and media types?

11. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Does this mean that the individual boxes will be available later even digitally? How does the official artwork look like?

12. bcaulf

bcaulf Forum Resident

There is? What does it look like? I wonder if encoded artwork would come up in XLD. Interesting.

13. AlanDistro

AlanDistro Forum Resident

Could you post one? dBpoweramp provides no art when I rip. AlbumArtExchange has nothing. So thought I needed to do this myself.

bcaulf likes this.
  14. Dieu

Dieu Forum Resident

Cool. It could be someone who contributed to the database (freedb I think).

15. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

XLD couldn't even find the tracklists for me as of yesterday

16. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

It looks like the covers for each of the books. I'll post a photo in a bit after my FiiO finishes charging.

andrewskyDE likes this.
  17. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Here's a version I tried out for the bonus box, but I think I will make some more variants.

[​IMG]

18. bcaulf

bcaulf Forum Resident

You're kidding...that's annoying! Guess I'll just have to copy the track list from online and use the great custom mock ups made available here unless someone is generous enough to post the official artwork that appears when it's ripped on here.

19. pink-nice

pink-nice Member

The Versions of the Box are much better than My Boot (Pink Floyd BBC Archives)

bobcat likes this.
  20. I like marmalade

I like marmalade New Member

Yes it is impossibly bright, absolutely!

21. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

22. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

Stereo or mono?

23. rcrawley

rcrawley Gotta keep on movin and groovin...

Still true today (using FreeDB via XLD). iTunes seems to be finding the appropriate track names (I believe they use Gracenote but they may have changed in recent years) but no album art.

andrewskyDE and bcaulf like this.
  24. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

This is a huge service to all the PF fans globally, and I thank you in advance.

25. bcaulf

bcaulf Forum Resident

The album art that's coming up on Fiio could be from someone who contributed to the database, does that mean they're also custom made? Interesting.