Pink Floyd - The Early Years 1965-1972 Box Set - Realiz/ation (Content, tracks, etc. ONLY!)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stereoptic, Nov 2, 2016.

1. Meddler

Meddler Forum Resident

I smell a new HRV release.

2. Sputnik

Sputnik Member

According to Povey and Russell's book "In the Flesh" IO was recorded October 31st 1966, but on the RSD website it said IO was recorded November 31st 1966! ( Some odd leap year or what? )

10/31/1966 or 11/30/1966? I lean on October, 'cause it seems reasonable to me... but, I might be wrong.

superstar19 likes this.
  3. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

Hey, but they did credit me on the cover. 12" and single. I kid, I kid. I'm neither.

Kalli, andrewskyDE and raphph like this.
  4. AWESOM-O

AWESOM-O Forum Resident

I'd be all over that in an instant. Struck out at a couple stores for this today. Really irritating to not have something that should have been in the big box readily available, let alone in a digital format and/or something that would have fit into the big box. (I know, same thing we've all been saying for months; just aggravated after actually not finding it anywhere today).

rnranimal likes this.
  5. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

Got one! First store was a bust, the second was organized like a museum walking tour, slow single file line and you couldn't cut ahead. After a couple turns, I spotted this on a rack three and a half aisles away (they still have it! I'm not too late!), and had to hope it wasn't gone by the time I got to it.... To my delight, there was another stash an aisle earlier that I couldn't see from the outset. SCORE.
    I'm going to spin it right now :goodie:

Thanks, Ron!!! Not the least for announcing it on this thread ~ I'd never have known about it otherwise. How lame they didn't credit you.

AWESOME-O ~ sorry, man : ( May one cross your path eventually.

6. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I got the Devi/ation box over Easter and found out the mentioned error is still there.

Dr. Mudd likes this.
  7. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I bought a copy online yesterday. Glad to be one of the happy owners soon!
    Btw cool photo! :)

8. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

The visual discs are worldwide compatible.

dkmonroe likes this.
  9. anth67

Great cover.

rontoon and Hattipper like this.
  10. anth67

The vintage MONO 33 1/3 designation in upper right is the kind of touch you'd put in, I think, if you designed the cover.

andrewskyDE likes this.
  11. EndlessRiver

EndlessRiver Forum Resident

Ron that is too bad. Looks like the band was crediting you for archive purposes only. Are there any liner notes or credits with this special release? Anyway Congratulations from all PF fans for making this special limited edition release happen!!

rontoon likes this.
  12. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

No liner notes. Just a few credits to the usual suspects on the back cover.

Billy_Sunday likes this.
  13. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Ha, thanks! I like the detail on the official sleeve. Think they saw what I did here in the forum.^^

14. Found title, attempting to limit discussion, by using et certera* funny:
    "(... etc. ONLY!)"
    :laugh:

* literally means "and all the rest".

15. Glubluk

Glubluk Forum Resident

One of those (small, in a relative way) things that make a world of difference. "Wankers!" is too polite. I have a selection of epithets in my native language for such occasions.

John Porcellino and rontoon like this.
  16. Glubluk

Glubluk Forum Resident

I am a surprised proud owner of the RSD "Interstellar Overdrive" (once it's shipped to me)!

So I opened the most popular Polish auction portal earlier today and entered "Pink Floyd" "Interstellar" into the browser, thinking that I might as well win the lottery. But lo and behold! There it is, and quite cheap (~30 USD with shipping)! I grabbed it at once!

Is it me or is there something quite 'off' about buying RSD releases online?;) Not that I mind this time:D

Hattipper likes this.
  17. Hattipper

Hattipper Forum Resident

I scored mine for 15.98 at Strictly Discs by putting it on a wishlist beforehand. I love this version. Too bad it didn't make the box.

Glubluk likes this.
  18. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

Pity there isn't a download code.

anth67, Rekkerds and Hattipper like this.
  19. raphph

raphph Taking a trip on an ocean liner…

I bought the first three boxsets - realised I'd probably not listen to them more than once...So am selling them....
    I own so many CDs now - and estimate that I listen to approximately 5% of bonus non-studio-album content more than once...

20. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

To each his own... those first three boxes are among my most-played cd's. Video content is great too.

Hattipper, Hymie the Robot and raphph like this.
  21. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

Can anyone with the '67 and/or '72 sets, purchased individually, confirm whether the '67 set has a mastering error at the start of Pow R Toc H and whether there is occasional (and nasty) screeching/distortion/static in the right channel(s) during some of the Pompeii material?

Just wondering whether they addressed that stuff in the individual releases as we know that these don't necessarily resemble the box set versions digitally (i.e. Meddle surround and stereo remix being removed).

22. Glubluk

Glubluk Forum Resident

Exactly.

23. Glubluk

Glubluk Forum Resident

Nice! :)

At first, I also thought that it's a pity that IO is not part of the box. But:
    1. The RSD vinyl would not exist.
    2. The fact that they released the box does not mean that no more material from the period 1965-72 will see the light of day (hopefully!). IO appeared soon after the box - this is why the OCD in us cries out. But let's face it - nothing will ever be comprehesive anyway :laughup:

Hattipper and zinan like this.
  24. anth67

Pretty absurd.

Hattipper likes this.
  25. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

Consensus appears to be this is due to a disc authoring error, but that the full audio is on the disc. I have burned the quad AHM files back onto a Blu Ray disc and they appear to play to the end and others have described the same thing happening. Yes, it sucks that the disc is authored badly, but as an authoring error also gave us an unintended Meddle 5.1 mix which can similarly be ripped and burned onto a BD, I'll live with my home made discs.