Pink Floyd - The Early Years 1965-1972 Box Set - Realiz/ation (Content, tracks, etc. ONLY!)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stereoptic, Nov 2, 2016.

1. Outside The Wall

Outside The Wall Forum Resident

Hi.
    How did you get on with trying to understand the variations of Love Scene, (official and unofficial)?
    There are some interesting thoughts and analyses on this thread, (which I expect you've seen):-
    "Pink Floyd - Making sense of the Zabriskie Point sessions".
    Best

2. soniclovenoize

soniclovenoize Forum Resident

I'm not understanding your question. I don't think I've contradicting anything in that thread, am I?

Hattipper likes this.
  3. Outside The Wall

Yes, apologies, I wasn't clear.
    I was referring to the line at the end of your Zabriskie Point analysis where you said "Currently trying to piece together the evolution of the Love Scene".
    I was meaning "How are you getting on with that process - of piecing together?"
    (Have you considered another "album that never was" variation?!)
    The "making sense" thread is fascinating.

soniclovenoize and Hattipper like this.
  4. soniclovenoize

soniclovenoize Forum Resident

Oh i see.

I just gave up, lol. Too much of a mess.

In the Zabriskie Point thread, I think there was some good assessment of it. I'd recommend those posts!

Natural E likes this.
  5. christian42

christian42 Forum Resident

Thanks! I really think my final post in that thread is as far as we can get now without more evidence getting "out there". I've read Glenn Povey's "The Complete Pink Floyd" as well, but unfortunately it doesn't have all that much info on the ZP sessions and especially not when it comes to the Love Scene. Also, it was published before the Early Years box set, so some of the info in the book is outdated.

My thesis is still that there were four "main" attempts at scoring the Love Scene.

The first one was the one referred to by bootleggers as "Love Scene Version 1/2/3" and later as "Oenone". The variations between the different versions here aren't all that big, I'd probably just have called them different takes under normal circumstances.

The second one was the official "Love Scene Version 4" with its variant, only released unofficially as "Version 5". That these are different takes of the same "song" seems even more certain seeing that when PF first offered "Version 4," Antonioni asked them for a version with vibes, which they proceeded to first overdub unto the existing "Version 4" before re-recording it from scratch with vibes already present from the very beginning ("Version 5"). Even PF themselves refer to them as different takes on this box set.

The third attempt was the most distinct one, the bluesier "Love Scene Version 6" aka "Alan's Blues".

And then the fourth was a return to a gentler score, "Love Scene Version 7" aka "Unkown Song" aka "Rain in the Country".

Obviously I cannot be sure that this was the order they were recorded in, I can only go by the different version numbers we've been given.

6. Glubluk

Glubluk Forum Resident

That's the one :) I think mentioned this ages ago in this thread, didn't we? :)

Anyway, this song for me is a case of a typical 'love it or hate it' track. Probably I don't like it for the same reasons that you do.

As for "Pros & Cons" (the album), I intend to give it a really good listen soon. I feel there is more to it than meets the eye (or ear). "Radio KAOS" is kind of doomed because of the production, which is not the case with "P&C". We'll see.

7. Glubluk

Glubluk Forum Resident

I agree. There are many great bands from The Netherlands (in various genres), people who write about music, and bootlegs too.

As a totally random example: Groningen Guitar Duo and their versions of King Crimson tracks.

Kalli likes this.
  8. Outside The Wall

Your analysis, together with analyses by others on this thread, has helped in trying to clarify and simplify the myriad of tracks official and unofficial!
    So, thanks to all involved!
    The confusion of names for various tracks, again official and unofficial, is or has been difficult to unravel.
    Some of the unofficial tracks around have names alluding to things to come, e.g. "Funky Dung".

CD2 in the "Devi/ation" set was, I think, cleverly ordered so that the ZP tracks lead into the early studio version of "Atom Heart Mother".
    You can see the flow of ideas, at times.

marc with a c likes this.
  9. Sputnik

Sputnik Member

Interesting! I wonder if the ZP track "Oenone" (available on the bootleg "Pink Floyd Anthology II") is the same as "Love Scene Version 3". In that case, why wasn't it included in the box?

10. christian42

christian42 Forum Resident

IIRC, "Oenone" is "Love Scene Version 2", at least on Total Zabriskie Point of View.

11. Eric Hansen

Eric Hansen New Member

Do you still have those custom images?

12. Glubluk

Glubluk Forum Resident

Two things I noticed when listening to "Germin/ation" the other day:
    1. Interstellar Overdrive (BBC, Dec 2) contains a very pronounced Up the Khyber theme. I haven't noticed it before.
    2. It's fascinating how far removed Song #1 and Roger's Boogie are from everything else the band did before or after. Even though parts of these two were recycled in one form or another in 1969, they are still totally unique. Especially David's lead guitar line in Song #1 and Nick's drumming in Roger's Boogie are really different. I would really like to hear more such transitional-peiod dead ends.

Kalli, Rooster_Ties, rontoon and 2 others like this.
  13. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

I put the Committee theme in that same category. Lovely music that doesn't really sound like anything else they did. Though it would likely fit best on an EP with Song 1 and Nick's Boogie!

andrewskyDE likes this.
  14. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

Each time I go back to listen to this box, I find it very bright sounding. To the point that I turn it off.

aoxomoxoa likes this.
  15. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

Question is are there Syd's Boogie, Rick's Boogie and Dave's Boogies still in the Archive ?

andrewskyDE, 3Dman, Glubluk and 2 others like this.
  16. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

Glad I don't have that problem.

17. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

I agree. It's one of the brightest, if not THE brightest, masterings I've heard. To the point of wondering if there was some sort of error involved. I can't listen to it without re-EQing. Except the 1965 tracks. I don't find those to be excessively bright. I believe these were done separately since they match the 1965 iTunes release which was available for a very short time after the double 7" RSD release.

andrewskyDE likes this.
  18. bcaulf

bcaulf Forum Resident

Really? I haven't noticed any brightness at all except a few spots. The Man and The Journey sounds a bit abrasive but other than that and the Continuation disc I think the whole set sounds great. But to each his own.

19. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

I've only given a real good listen to the Cambridge set- the singles and 2010 mixes are very bright. Piercing, crashing cymbals. Compared the same singles tracks to the blu-ray/DVD and they are nowhere near as bright. I actually like the mastering on some of the video soundtracks very much. Best "Jugband Blues" I've heard.

20. Nasnandos

Nasnandos Forum Resident

I agree, many of the Blu Ray audio mixes sound better than the CD tracks. Jugband runs a bit fast on the BR, but it is warmer sounding, more pleasing mix. The 2010 mix on the CD has some great stereo separation and instrument clarity, but it is a bit bright sounding.

21. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

The Pompeii audio isn't exactly mellow...

22. Nasnandos

Nasnandos Forum Resident

The Pompeii audio is the new mix on both the CD and BR. It is certainly...different.

Haggis Wampovich likes this.
  23. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

The 2010 mix has great stereo separation and instrument clarity indeed. And Syd's vocal coda is nice 'n loud and clear from the first words ("And the sea...") rather than fading in. Perhaps it's bright, but I love that mix. But I haven't paid much attention to the video's audio mix, will have to revisit.
    I was just glad they finally married up the studio version instead of the BBC...Roger still looks silly miming a horn, but at least the joke makes sense :p

Regarding Syd's coda, maybe I'm loony but it seems most or all of the cd versions (till now) had that first lyric fading in. Which is not how I remember it from my long-gone Nice Pair vinyl ~ the strumming faded in, but reached full volume (or really close) by the time Syd's vocal started. I never had to strain to hear those words. So that's always been a sticking point for me since. Definitely a big plus on the 2010 mix.

(Though overall that last Saucerful remaster sounds great ~ particularly Corporal Clegg, as some have mentioned.)

24. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

Yeah, it runs a little fast and also they either made some edits or speed was adjusted differently in different parts of the song. I tried to sync it up to the album version to adjust speed, but it goes way out of sync in different spots. I'll have to play with it more. I wish they would use this type of mastering when it comes to CD releases instead all the compression and extreme EQ.

I find the 2010 much too bright and I also don't like the effect of Syd's vocal. It sounds slightly robotic to me. I much prefer the original mixes because of the vocal sound.

Chris M likes this.
  25. Kalli

Kalli Forum Resident

I like the 2010 mix of Jugband Blues very much and would be keen on having the complete album remastered this way with correction of the mixing error of Set The Cintrols at around 2:30 that comes with all CD releases of the album (not with the Works-Version) that I know and I tried a lot. Only the first pressings and some vinyl releases of the early 80s do not have that bug.

The brightness is okay for me on the 2010 version of Jugband, it bothers me to some extent with the new mix of Obscured By Cloud. The new Pompeii mix is hardly enjoyable for me not only because of the highs, what bothers me even more are the additional lows. It's the same with OBC. The titel track has one octave below added. I mentioned that before some 10 pages earlier.

Natural E likes this.