Pink Floyd - The Early Years 1965-1972 Box Set - Realiz/ation (Content, tracks, etc. ONLY!)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stereoptic, Nov 2, 2016.

1. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

Lucky I didn't say that the Paradiso show is definitive! :winkgrin:

2. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

Pretty sure the IO without voiceover came from Granada in the late 80s fwiw..

Jerry Horne and rontoon like this.
  3. A Saucerful of Scarlets

A Saucerful of Scarlets Commenter Turned Viewer

The 2016 remixes are disappointing. Many of the early singles are mono, even the ones that had really good stereo mixes like Paintbox and Arnold Layne which you can find on Relics. Although Vegetable Man and Scream Thy Last Scream sound amazing. Live at Pompeii all sounds great if overly bright but the entirety of Obscured By Clouds is so bright it hurts my ears and sounds awful in comparison to the normal release you'll usually find nowadays.

Chris M likes this.
  4. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Arnold has no true stereo mix, the pre-remaster Relics uses fake 'rechanneled' stereo

5. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Correct. I have that copy.

6. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Those EMI tapes still exist, so eventually it's still possible to remix 'Arnold Layne' and 'Candy And A Currant Bun' into a proper stereo version though. Too bad the Floyd staff "forgot" that.^^

Nick Dunning likes this.
  7. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

I've always wanted louder drums on Arnold Layne. From the youtube video where they're isolating tracks, it's confirmed that bass 'n drums are on the same track. So there's only so far they can boost it before bass would be too loud. But at least the separation of a stereo mix should clarify the drums a bit more.

To my ears, the 40th Anniversary Piper version sounds better than others, though.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
    Dodoz and andrewskyDE like this.
  8. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I believe the weak drum sound has something to do with copying the multitracks to another tape to overdub things like the acoustic guitar and vocals so the sound suffers a bit. Probably the final mix/master was a third gen copy at least.

9. anth67

Hmm.... If Arnold's drums/bass track ~ which we can safely assume was recorded live as one ~ is still available separately, doesn't that indicate it wasn't bounced to & ganged with another? If that's true, wouldn't the final mix (sans mastering) be only the second gen? Or not necessarily? Of course, each gen suffers at least a little....

Where I'm really baffled is Sgt Pepper. As that was 4-track and therefore loaded with bounces to incorporate all those sounds, how is it they can now isolate each instrument for the likes of Love and Guitar Hero, and entirely remix for the recent reissue? Maybe I'm simply mistaken and they haven't stripped the tracks back quite that far (?)

10. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

I think that, in the case of The Beatles by '67, EMI retained multi-tracks so pre-bounce multis still exist.

11. A Saucerful of Scarlets

A Saucerful of Scarlets Commenter Turned Viewer

Oh, including Paintbox? I still think it’s far better.

12. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Actually yes, could be more of a second gen thing. Sorry I was re-thinking.^^ Only acoustic guitars and vocals (and an organ solo) were overdubbed.
    Though I think while the bounce-down of the first gen multis the bass/drum thing could've been a rush mix/merge hence the low drum sound.

Interestingly the 'See Emily Play' session tapes completely disappeared shortly after the final mix though this one was recorded at the same studio as 'Arnold Layne' (Sound Techniques in Chelsea).

anth67 likes this.
  13. anth67

This makes sense, because isolated tracks do circulate for Hey Bulldog, recorded early the following year.

14. hallucalation

hallucalation Forum Resident

Joe Boyd himself returned them per-EMI request in late 60's (if i'm not wrong)

15. hallucalation

hallucalation Forum Resident

Oh, i finally realised you talked about BBC4 rebroadcast..

No, i have got full 29 minute episode

[​IMG]

16. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

IIRC the surviving Arnold/Candy 4T reel was logged at EMI in September 1970 during the early stages of the "Golden Grollies" LP assembly.

andrewskyDE and rontoon like this.
  17. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

At least the box makes a perfect resting place for Toby. Most expensive cat bed EVER!

[​IMG]

18. Raf

Raf Senior Member

A question about "'Review,' London UK 1971 (Storm Thorgerson & Aubrey ‘Po’ Powell interviewed)" on 1971 Reverber/ation: What is this from? Is it a clip from a longer documentary? Is it BBC TV or something else? When was it filmed? When was it aired?

I've been Googling for more info and all I'm turning up is track lists of the box set.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2018
  19. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Lucifer Sam?

20. Outside The Wall

Outside The Wall Forum Resident

wayne66 and Runicen like this.
  21. anth67

Toby Ratcatcher?

Frozensoda and rontoon like this.
  22. Outside The Wall

Outside The Wall Forum Resident

Rick liked cats, too.

23. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

Funny, your shelf looks a LOT like mine. Minus the cat.

rontoon likes this.
  24. Raf

Raf Senior Member

Bump. Anyone? @rontoon?

25. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

Nice! Make sure you cut his nails every once in a while...

rontoon and anth67 like this.