Pink Floyd - "The Endless River" -- New Release October 2014 (Part Three)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stereoptic, Sep 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

I agree with all of this wholeheartedly with the exception of The Final Cut being better than The Wall. Excellent post! :righton:

2. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

The Wall couldn't possibly be mistaken for any other band on the planet. It's PINK FLOYD all the way.

Pancat, tedhead and formu_la like this.
  3. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Sure. But it was a huge departure from their previous albums especially if you experienced it as a new release like I did.

4. Wyoming

Wyoming Well-Known Member

That's what Pink Floyd specialized in, like Bowie or Radiohead.

Where Waters went wrong was not evolving once more after The Wall. He just keep making variations on a theme. Gilmour, Mason, and Wright also failed to update their sound post-Waters, which is probably why clip #2 sounds hopelessly outdated.

Dylan did not make this mistake with Love and Theft and Tempest.

5. tedhead

tedhead Forum Resident

I'm one of those people that will shell over just for the brand name, although to be fair that includes solo albums. Been doing it since 1987, and its too hard to stop now. Its a done deal whether I will like it or not. There are very few bands I will do that for (King Crimson & Hendrix for more examples). They've always been an album band for me, so to judge them on clips just won't do justice. I have to hear the entire thing to get an impression. But I totally understand those who are underwhelmed by it. I'm not that crazy about the clips either, but wouldn't be surprised if hearing it finished would yield much better results. All I personally hope for is more bass than the Division Bell 5.1 remix. Quad is fine, but with very little bass, it loses its power.

revolution_vanderbilt likes this.
  6. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

No idea if it has been mentioned before, but apart from the album title being lifted from the High Hopes lyric, another title on the new album, Ebb And Flow, can be found in the On An Island title track, while the title Louder Than Words (the only vocal track on the new album) can be found within the lyric of Sorrow.
    Any more that I've missed?

PH416156 and tedhead like this.
  7. amonjamesduul

amonjamesduul Forum Resident

Same here,like a parent that will hang their child's crayon sribble picture on the fridg out of love for anything they produce,I will buy anything Floyd even tho I may not listen to it for years at a time.

revolution_vanderbilt likes this.
  8. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Actually seeing them all lined up like this is absolutely awesome! The new artwork fits in just fine :)

ShawnX, bopdd, PhoffiFozz and 11 others like this.
  9. Keim

Keim Hangin' here from the start

I am looking forward to this album. I think it will be great. At this point in their lives why would Gilmour and Mason release anything that they didn't feel was stellar? They have nothing to prove.

Also, why call it Wright's Swan Song unless it is good? Talk about upping expectations...

MikeVielhaber and Rooster_Ties like this.
  10. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

I was listening to The Division Bell the other night. During "High Hopes", I noticed towards the end of the song that Gilmour sings the line "the endless river".
    Never noticed it before.

11. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

The grass was greener
    The light was brighter
    The taste was sweeter
    The nights of wonder
    With friends surrounded
    The dawn mist glowing
    The water flowing
    The endless river
    Forever and ever

12. xXFloydianXx

xXFloydianXx One Slip, and down the hole we fall

Apparently, the official PF store requires instant charging of credit cards even for pre-order items, unlike Amazon.

Looks like I'll be sticking to Amazon on this one.

Rocat, rburly and Smiths22 like this.
  13. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

What criteria will be used to decide if this is studio album is better/worse than Moment/Atom/Final/Umma?

14. LarsO

LarsO Forum Resident

If I like it more or less.

15. progrocker71

The only real criteria that exists, your own personal perception of the album.

Kim Olesen likes this.
  16. Smiths22

Smiths22 Well-Known Member

Don't forget the critics...

Zack likes this.
  17. progrocker71

I'm no longer convinced of the worthiness of music critics, the only criteria they can accurately judge is recording quality, maybe level of technical performance, etc. But everything else is 100% subjective so a supposedly objective review of an album...isn't. All you can really do is find a music critic with similar subjective opinions to your own and then use them as a gauge.

MikeVielhaber and Billy Infinity like this.
  18. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

I don't really see that. There was a dramatic shift after Piper with the loss of their main singer/writer/guitarist. Animals and The Wall were significant breaks.

I see a pretty gradual evolution through the following albums: Saucerful/More/Ummagumma/AHM/Meddle/OBC/DSOTM/WYWH.

Their more epic pieces particularly represent a continuum: Saucerful > Atom Heart > Echoes > WYWH

19. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Seriously? You don't hear a distinct and obvious change in sound from The Wall and Final Cut to AMLOR (a very 80's production which sounds nothing like their previous 2 records) and The Division Bell (an extension of AMLOR updated)? Are we both listening to the same albums? Like the post-Waters albums or not the band continued to evolve in their sound while staying true to some of their distinctive elements.

20. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

Maybe he was saying, as you also alluded to, that they didn't update their sound from AMLOR to Division Bell.

21. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Well that's not how it came off. And I would still disagree. Division Bell veered far from that abhorrent 80's production sound on AMLOR, especially in regards to those electronic drums.

22. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

23. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

Does the Blu Ray come with a high rez download code?

24. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

It says here that all material was composed by Gilmour, Mason and Wright. Speculation?
    It would be nice to have Mason included in the songwriting department again... would be his first co-composer credits since La Carrera Panamericana (and his first on a Floyd record since Any Colour You Like).

25. PhoffiFozz

PhoffiFozz Forum Resident

I was going to say the same thing!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.