Pink Floyd - "The Endless River" -- New Release October 2014 (Part Three)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stereoptic, Sep 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Billy Infinity

Billy Infinity Beloved aunt

Actually (and to my surprise) Nick confirms it in the EPK segment I just posted.

JulesRules likes this.
  2. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

Sorry for confusing Andy Jackson with Phil Manzanera earlier. Here's the article. (original German version at http://eclipsed.de/aktuelles-heft/interview-mit-pink-floyd-produzent-phil-manzanera)
    https://translate.google.de/transla...ink-floyd-produzent-phil-manzanera&edit-text=

3. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

There is no such thing as a Pink Floyd fan-club release and "The Big Spliff" never got to the point where it was ever even considered for any kind of release.

4. LarsO

LarsO Forum Resident

If I got this right:

Jam sessions started in 1993 and resulted in many pieces of music. They had initially an idea to make a double album: One disc with songs/lyrics and one just ambient mood pieces. They started on the first part and had a vote on what to include. The "winners" got completed into full songs and became the album The Division Bell. Andy Jackson got asked if he could assemble some of the unused instrumentals into a collage as an inspiration for what to do for "part 2". This was made pretty quicky and jokingly called "The Big Spliff". They never got around to do it, settled for TDB and went on tour. After that Pink Floyd just ceased to exist as a working group. Fast forward to 2012 (or was it 2011?) David and Nick decided to do something with the material and asked Phil Manzarena to come with suggestions. They played him The Big Spliff first but he wanted to listen to ALL the material instead and assembled his own collage out of it. With this as a starting point (changing most of it) they made The Endless River during two years which is a story on its own including overdubs etc... Did I get it right?

pablorkcz likes this.
  5. bboynexus

bboynexus Forum Resident

You've pretty much nailed it, Larso.

It seems pretty clear to me that after The Division Bell tour, David in particular was utterly exhausted by the responsibility of leading and touring the band. I don't think it's any coincidence that there was a "significant cessation of activity" from 1995 onward following the birth of David's son (Joe).

LarsO likes this.
  6. LarsO

LarsO Forum Resident

And for some reason I think he never really regretted focusing on family life from that point.

Billy Infinity likes this.
  7. Pink Floyd meets Live and Let Die.

8. Smiths22

Smiths22 Well-Known Member

that's not real that's elevator music.

ynnek4 likes this.
  9. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

Then "Run Like Hell" must be, because it's clearly based on that.

10. Smiths22

Smiths22 Well-Known Member

when you are late for work do you mean? you are in a rush run like hell and take the elevator.

George P likes this.
  11. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Close. Andy Jackson took it upon himself the assemble The Big Spliff. And there were no "winners" really. Only the songs that seemed to fit within the musical theme of The Division Bell. Many of the tracks that weren't selected were excellent as well but simply didn't fit with the others on the album. A bit like what Springsteen did with all the material generated for Darkness.

Carserguev, tkl7, JulesRules and 3 others like this.
  12. xXFloydianXx

xXFloydianXx One Slip, and down the hole we fall

Regarding the BBC interview on the PF site--fast forward to 5:56.

Is that tiny guitar snippet from the new album, or is it a previous work? If it is from TER, it sounds very good. Yeah, short and sweet ala Final Cut solo, but still.

13. van1

van1 Forum Resident

From the uncut article Andy Jackson wanted to Play Phil M 'the big spliff' but Phil M chose to go back to the source music as his starting point, so TBS was AJ's take on making the pieces into an instrumental album while TER is a different take (phil M's) on mashing up the original pieces. I posted earlier that it would have been nice to have the whole of TBS as a bonus on the blu ray, that way we could have seen how close / different The 2 interpretations were. I'm not on the quad forum so can't ask AJ if there was any consideration to including the whole of TBS or whether it was considered too rough compared to TER ( which has had the extra work / playing given to it.

started[/QUOTE]

Last edited: Oct 24, 2014
    LarsO likes this.
  14. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

There are going to be a few TBS outtakes included as bonus tracks on several editions of the release.

15. JulesRules

Well, at least Nick mentioned the possibility of releasing it more than once in the late 90s.

16. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

What I meant was that it was never worked on and never got past the hypothetical stage in regards to a release. It's not like there was ever a finished product that was waiting to be released.

17. JulesRules

That was the impression I had, though. Probably you are right but PF like to be a bit mysterious about themselves.

18. Pancat

Pancat Senior Member

21 - page Pink Floyd & Endless River article in this month's Mojo magazine. Three out of five stars review: "big on atmosphere, just a little light on songs".

19. pablorkcz

pablorkcz ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

Its awesome to see David Gilmour air drumming in that old clip. I don't think I've ever seen him look so laid back.

20. Wyoming

Wyoming Well-Known Member

When you hear 30 seconds
    Very sad. Mojo gives shining reviews to any decent oldies act.

Sordel likes this.
  21. Pancat

Pancat Senior Member

Interestingly, the interviewer really likes the album and I suspect if he were given the review job he would've gone for 4 stars (Excellent). Still, 3 means 'Good'. Despite being cover stars, though, the review is very short.

22. LarsO

LarsO Forum Resident

I find it odd to write "just a little light on songs". Have anyone expected a bunch of songs? I have never since the announcement expected a "rock album". More a collage of mood pieces so "big on atmosphere" sounds good to me.

KASHMIR, Aggie87, Oliver and 3 others like this.
  23. Pancat

Pancat Senior Member

Yes, agreed. Given the coverage elsewhere in the mag this review was woefully short and very lazy. He clearly missed the whole point.

24. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Gotta buy a copy anyway...btw weird how the Mojo guys chose a 20 y.o. picture.

[​IMG]

25. abor1g

abor1g Forum Resident

you are welcome to learn French. Even if worldwide, American english is used, when i hear an american try or even succeed in speaking french, i consider this as a deep mark of respect and really love it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.