Pink Floyd The Later Years Box Set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Aug 29, 2019.

1. m20gull

m20gull Forum Resident

It does not seem to actually be available at that price though

2. Muppet

Muppet Brain the size of a Planet.

I didn’t check it because I bought it when it came out :doh: and it’s already gone back up to almost £300

JediJoker likes this.
  3. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

Still not enough New or Unreleased Music for me to justify paying more than around $200 for the Later Years Box Set. I am mostly interested in the 5.1 Division Bell and a few other parts of this Box Set. I was watching the Venice Concert on PBS the other night and was mostly bored by the same typical songs, that I already own on the Pulse DVD, the Gilmour Live at RAH BluRay/CD Set and the Gdańsk Box Set. I also own The Endless River Book Size Box Set with the BluRay, so not enough Different Music in The Later Years to pay $275 or higher for it.

The Early Years(I bought the 6 Individual Book Box Sets) was much more interesting to me. I already own enough Box Sets that I have not spent enough time with them yet. I like AMLOR Album ok, but not enough to justify it being a major part of this Box Set at such a High Price, but as they say, YMMV, so for those PF Fans who bought it and really do love it enough that they think they will play the contents often, then I am happy for you. I do love The Division Bell and The Endless River(but as mentioned I already own TER Book Box Set).

drum_cas, Norco74 and JediJoker like this.
  4. Gavaxeman

Gavaxeman Take me back to dear old Blighty...

Still needs to drop more for me ..sub £200

andrewskyDE and JediJoker like this.
  5. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

Any words about theme sets coming out soon from this megaset?

6. TheSeldomSeenKid

Sorry, no idea:shrug:, as I have not kept up, nor know who would be a legitimate source to verify that question, but doubt it, as we got the Individual Box Sets for the Early Years by the following March. Maybe the SDE Website is the best place to check every week for any potential Smaller Box Sets from the Larger Box Set.

Norco74 and croquetlawns like this.
  7. triply

triply Forum Resident

There is something about this set, though. The contents read like it is low on material, but I cannot express why it is really worth it. The setlists may seem samey but there is something to be said about listening to the shows, or watching them.

You've probably seen all the posts talking about how great DSoT is, but Knebworth and PULSE are really worth getting too. Like I said, I cannot explain why I find this set worth it, but I've really gotten a lot out of it.

The Early Years set was so robust and there was a lot to digest. With this one, since it is more streamlined, I can do a deep dive into it and get the most out of it.

Yes, I feel that The Early Years box set is still better, since it has so much more and the band was in such an experimental phase. But this set is something you cannot judge just by reading the contents.

I can see where you are coming from, though. I hope there is a standalone release of DSoT, just for the people who can't justify the whole box.

Jam757, SteveFff, PhoffiFozz and 4 others like this.
  8. RockAddict

RockAddict Sanity is an illusion, just like democracy

I happened to be on Amazon looking at another music related item (Fluance RT85W turntable) and, purely by chance, saw the price of The Later Years was at £266. I hit the buy button and, just minutes later, the price was back at £290+. Like other posters, I think it's really a sub £200 set but I don't think it's going to dip to that point so it was a case of waiting to see what was going to be released individually (probably not Knebworth or Venice) and for the prices to drop in a couple of years or just hold my nose and go for the full box at £266 - the lowest price I'd seen on Amazon (Rhino had it at £255 for a while but not now!). I have (obviously) decided on the latter. If the price ends up dipping lower at some point, so be it - at least I haven't paid the original asking price of £400+. :)

The irony of looking at a vinyl turntable and buying a box set with mainly CDs / DVDs / BDs has not been lost... :shh: :D. Helpful tip: Don't play those small shiny discs on a turntable - they don't sound very good (maybe the cartridge isn't properly aligned?) and the discs get marked... :hide: :uhhuh:

jeffreybh likes this.
  9. TheSeldomSeenKid

Mainly just a Price Point versus Content Issue for me. If there end up being enough of these Box Sets that are sitting in Amazon Warehouses where the Price gets a future reduction to around $200(or even a little less would be better), then I will buy it, although honestly with all of the other Music from this Era that I already own, not sure how much I would play it(speaking for myself). I would love to get The Division Bell in 5.1 BluRay, as that is the one Prior PF Deluxe Box(TDB 20th Anniversary Box Set), that I did not buy, as was not into Vinyl nor thinking about buying several 5.1 Titles at the time(which I will still need to eventually add 3 more Speakers to play them).

The Packaging for TLY Box Set does look nice, but not enough for me to spend $275 or more, when I have other Music Items on my 'To Buy' List, and that includes several Box Sets that will get released later this year.

Even last November/December, I had to prioritize which Box Sets I could work into my Music Budget(that I always stretch beyond what I should), and before even taking a real close look at the Total Contents in the Pink Floyd TLY Box Set, the lowest Price at the Time would have been about $290(plus Tax) from ImportCDs with a Discount Code they were running for a short time(that I used to buy the Prince-1999 CD Deluxe Box Set).

So, I figured I would rather spread my Music Budget in November/December to buy the Prince-1999 CD Box Set, MUSE-Origins of MUSE(CD & Vinyl) Box Set, David Bowie-Conversation Piece CD Box Set, and although not sure I really am into the recent Jethro Tull Albums that are Folk-Rock, since I have bought the other Book Box Sets, figured I better buy 'Stormwatch' before that Title sells out and goes for crazy prices like has happened to the other JT Book Box Sets. I even passed over The Doors-Soft Parade Box Set, but only because I knew it would be available to buy later, which I will do, since being a Massive Doors Fan.

Although, not technically a Box Set, I bought most of the Elton John 2019 SHM CDs for his Early Years Albums, due to the Good Reviews of SQ and the Beautiful Mini LP Packaging, so that was a Box Set Like Price to Buy most of those SHM CDs(just missing an actual Outer Storage Box, that I think CDJapan sells, but was not Box Art that interested me).

The chances for me to buy TLY Box Set also will diminish, once I see all the Box Sets that most likely get released in 2020(Looking Forward to Tears For Fears-The Seeds of Love, the Porcupine Tree-In Absentia Deluxe Set-which was just released already with a BluRay Problem that is leading to a replacement Disc being maufactured, The Deluxe Box for the New Steven Wilson Album, the next 1-2 Bowie Box Sets, The Doors-Morrison Hotel Box Set, Maybe a Pink Floyd 'Animals' Immersion Box Set with a 5.1 BluRay and a Live Concert?, although not a Major Beatles Fans, as I skipped The White Album Box Set, although bought the Sgt. Peppers one in 2017, I might want to buy The Abbey Road Box Set and George Harrison 'All Things Must Pass'-The One Beatles Solo Album I do like a lot and a few other Box Sets that I am forgetting, along with a Few Unexpected Box Sets yet to be announced).

With buying Older Music in Box Sets, Older Japan and West Germany CDs with better SQ, and New Music(buy some and stream some) by Current Music Artists, there is only so much time to listen to Music, and owning every Box Set I might want, still might not get the time to listen to all of the contents of these Box Sets too often. Music can be a real addiction, where people like me need to determine which Box Sets do I really need and will play often. This is where, I decided that Price Point and Content made the Pink Floyd Later Years not a priority, but glad those PF Fans, who bought it and playing all/most of the Contents often are enjoying it. Maybe, I will decide to buy it in the future depending on the price.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2020
  10. Hollowsanctuary

Hollowsanctuary Aujourd’hui, je dis bonjour à la vie

RSD Arnold Layne 7” from the Barbican show being released. With an etching on the b-side. Talk about underwhelming.

I was hoping for AMLOR on vinyl if they are promoting this period of the band. I bought all the new RSD releases (Wall 7” box, See Emily Play 7”, Piper Mono, Saucer Mono), but this one I won’t line up at 7am to pick up...

EDIT: From an unofficial release, I also see Nick Mason putting out See Emily Play with Vegetable Man on a 12” and Waters The Wall Live in Berlin.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2020
    Gavaxeman likes this.
  11. Nasnandos

Nasnandos Forum Resident

AMLOR was already reissued on vinyl back in 2017. Still available. What would be cool is to have the new mix on vinyl.

Gavaxeman likes this.
  12. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

I think Hollowsanctuary meant just that...

Gavaxeman likes this.
  13. Hollowsanctuary

Hollowsanctuary Aujourd’hui, je dis bonjour à la vie

Indeed, I meant the one with real drums!

14. Nasnandos

Nasnandos Forum Resident

Well, partially real drums. Sorrow is still Gilmour's electronic drum pads, just EQ'd differently. Nick's live drumming was so much better. I really wish David had let Nick record a proper drum track for that song, or maybe he did and David just did not want to change it.

Big Pasi likes this.
  15. Tony Dogs

Tony Dogs Forum Resident

I'm sorry to hear that you're not going to buy it. I think the box is undoubtedly worth it, I can't stop listening to the remix of Delicate Sound of Thunder! The extended guitar solos on Sorrow, On the Turning Away and Comfortably Numb alone are worth half the price I paid for the box set, in my opinion. But if you are bored by these songs, fine, I respect that. But I can never see myself getting bored by listening to Pink Floyd.

Jam757, SteveFff, Big Pasi and 6 others like this.
  16. markreed

markreed Forum Resident

Bored wouldn't be the word... almost every complaint about the set rests on the £-for-ratio.

17. PhoffiFozz

PhoffiFozz Forum Resident

My opinion:
    Everyone has different value systems per their own personal taste, finances, etc. So I get that this is worth it to people like us and may not be to others.

But I can certainly express why it is worth it for me: The quality of the sound, video, songs, performances are excellent. There was a lot more love and care put into this collection than people may realize!

If you don't like Pink Floyd, or this era of Pink Floyd, then there is absolutely no reason to get this box. But then again, I don't know why you'd even care to be in this thread if that is the case.

If you only want a bunch of unreleased outtakes and jams, this is probably not for you either. (I would love that myself, but that is not what this box is)

If you don't care about video, then I can see why this set is too expensive.

And of course, I understand that some people do not have the disposable income for a set like this. (Believe me, I really don't, but I am good at spending too much on music and cutting back on other things...) And I see many people here are good at putting a value on this, saying they would pay X amount if it goes that low. That is great.

For me, there is A LOT on this set. There is a lot of great music, different mixes, tons of video. I am so happy with this set and glad that I have it. In fact I wish I had a little more time to enjoy it!

Jam757, SteveFff, chav and 8 others like this.
  18. Tony Dogs

Tony Dogs Forum Resident

Amen to that!

Jam757 and PhoffiFozz like this.
  19. There is no doubt in my opinion that the highlight is the audio of Delicate Sound Of Thunder (Remixed and Extended) and this is available for £50 or less in 24bit 96kHz (from HDTracks) and also includes AMLOR and the Live and Unreleased Studio tracks. So if the physical box and the video content are of less interest, then consider getting the High Resolution versions of CDs 1-4.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2020
  20. Tony Dogs

Tony Dogs Forum Resident

But the box is so beautiful! The Early Years box looks dull in comparison.

chav, zinan, fishcane and 2 others like this.
  21. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

Putting the original Arnold Lane on the b-side would have been cool.

croquetlawns likes this.
  22. Farthingscat

Farthingscat Forum Resident

I am playing the patient game - there will be a decent price at some point.
    Gary

23. All my CD/DVD/BluRay boxes, end up in storage when I'm done with them, even this Box Set will find its way there soon. The only box sets that I keep to hand are the Vinyl Box Sets such as my first ever Box Set 1982's The Beatles - The Collection (Original Master Recordings) (No. 5399), and IIRC it cost less than this one, albeit 37 years ago.

The Early Years box was inspired by their Bedford Van that they toured in, however it looks more like a shoe box for no name trainers.

Farthingscat likes this.
  24. Tony Dogs

Tony Dogs Forum Resident

Do you take out the memorabilia from the box, or does it end up in the storage with the boxes?

25. I store it all, think of the final scene in Raiders Of The Lost Ark. ;)

However, I do sometimes revisit a box, like I did recently with The Early Years and The Immersion Boxes, and it's almost like they are new to me all over again. Mostly I listen to music stored on SSD/HDD and played through a DAC. The actual discs are played maybe once or twice.

RockAddict and coffeetime like this.