Pink Floyd The Later Years - Specul/ation (Pre-release)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DylanPeggin, Jul 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KarlFarbman

KarlFarbman Forum Resident

People should consider this. They may set the initial price very high to see how many of us bite and jump in with a preorder at the highest possible price. If tons of people preorder at the insane high prices, they have less incentive to let the price drop. If people exercise patience and hold off on preordering, they will start dropping the price to attract demand. So those of you who rush right in and preorder may be actually doing the rest of us a disservice. Make the Amazons sweat about selling these. It's all about percieved demand.

2. Tony Dogs

Tony Dogs Forum Resident

Comfortably Numb is complete on the original Delicate Sound of Thunder album. It's the version on Pulse that is edited down.

D-rock and Hattipper like this.
  3. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

Wise move.

D-rock likes this.
  4. NunoBento

Nope. CN is not complete. It's actually quite heavily edited.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
    oneslip17 likes this.
  5. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Who is this they that you're referring to? It's not any of the band members. That's for certain.

Simon A and jdw like this.
  6. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

For me it would be nice if they just released those blurays as a separate item :)

7. Tony Dogs

Tony Dogs Forum Resident

I'm talking about an unedited, remixed cd version of Pulse. The same as the video version that's going to be in the new box.

jonboy71 likes this.
  8. pinkpurpl

pinkpurpl Forum Resident

Can anyone repeat for me, why it is not legally possible to include a non Dark Side show in the box. Sorry for asking again!

9. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

Maybe there's something I'm missing courtesy of only having the image of the set as a reference, but in the age of bands like Jethro Tull cornering the market for modestly priced but musically voluminous re-releases and King Crimson giving us everything AND a few spare kitchen sinks in their still reasonably priced omnibus sets, stuff like what I'm seeing here just doesn't make any kind of financial sense in terms of value for money.

Again, the official release may give some edification on the present pricing, but I feel like I stepped into a time machine and this was announced in 1989 and not 2019.

10. Tony Dogs

Tony Dogs Forum Resident

Thank you, I wasn't aware of this! Let's hope the entire guitar solo is included in the new box!

Billy_Sunday and Hattipper like this.
  11. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

The audio from the video of PULSE in this box will be the same as previously released just as I've been saying all along. The audio can't be remixed.

12. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

I certainly understand that perspective ... I kind of feel that way ... My guess is that a lot of the pricing comes down to video tape restoration and things like that. I guess the other thing that the Floyd boxes like this have going for them is a certain exclusivity. Folks will pay for that. I'd like to be able to pay for that, but for me, as long as I can get at least the Momentary 5.1 and the Delicate Sound bluray, I'll survive :)

I must say though, the anticipation that built up over the course of the thread left me somewhat deflated when I saw the price.... that I really should have expected anyhow :)

tommyball, NunoBento, Runicen and 2 others like this.
  13. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

That is a matter of the band's preference, it's not a legal issue.

14. pinkpurpl

pinkpurpl Forum Resident

Thank you!

Rooster_Ties likes this.
  15. Tony Dogs

Tony Dogs Forum Resident

Sorry, but I need som clarification here. The new video version of Pulse will be exactly the same as the previously released cd?

16. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

It will have a new edit regarding the video - alternate shots. I don't expect too much to be changed. The overall length will be unchanged. The audio will be exactly the same.

RangerXT and drum_cas like this.
  17. plextor

plextor Forum Resident

So even though DSOT was transfered using a new 4k print it will not be released on a 4k UHD disc? What are the chances of a real 4k UHD release of this?

18. Tony Dogs

Tony Dogs Forum Resident

Thank you. But why can the audio from Delicate Sound of Thunder be remixed?

19. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

James Guthrie was not involved with Delicate Sound of Thunder.

drum_cas likes this.
  20. NunoBento

You're mixing things up.

The audio from PULSE original audio release (on CD, MC and vinyl) is different than the one on the PULSE video release (on VHS, laserdisc and DVD). The former is a compilation of various sources from the European Tour and the later is a recording of one night at Earls Court.

This release on Later Years will feature a restored version of the video release with (what it seems) the exact same audio mix from the aforementioned recording of one night at Earls Court.

21. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

Why can't be remixed?
    Are the multis lost?

This album has a lot of potential, since it was analog recorded

22. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

There's a legal/contractual issue involved. Not getting into details here.

23. Tony Dogs

Tony Dogs Forum Resident

Yes, I get that now. Maybe I'm a bit slow.:p

But it is possible to put the non-cd songs from the video on an audio release, like Take It Back?

24. NunoBento

I see. Do you know who mixed the Audio for the PPV broadcast? That should be James too, right?

25. NunoBento

There is a disc of extra live recordings, so that's a possibility.

rontoon and realmdemagic like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.