Pink Floyd "The Piper at the Gates of Dawn" discussion thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Beatles Floyd, Jan 31, 2017.

1. Beatles Floyd

Beatles Floyd Well-Known Member Thread Starter

what do yall think about Pink Floyd's debut?

Crimson Witch likes this.
  2. I've slowly grown to quite love most of it, but it's been a LONG gestation period. I first heard Piper back my freshman year in college (1987), and had no idea what to make of it. A few of the songs sorta half-clicked with me, but only "halfway" at most (and it pretty much stayed that way for me for the better part of 10-20 years).

I quickly grew to love Floyd rather deeply, but I never did really get as deep into Piper (nor Saucerful either, for that matter). But little by little, more of that era started to click with me by the late 90's and early 2000's. I especially grew to love songs like Rick's "Paintbox", and several Piper-era non-LP singles, like "Arnold Layne", "Candy and a Currant Bun", "See Emily Play", and "Apples and Oranges" -- which I actually new BETTER than Piper, after I scored a used copy of the Early Singles CD from the big Shine On box.

Anyway, about 10 years ago (finally!!!) -- "Interstellar Overdrive" FINALLY clicked with me -- I think from having found the London 66/67 version (the one that's 16-minutes long) -- and listening to it, along with the Piper version of "IO", and I finally fell in love with it (only 20 years after I'd first heard it).

I still love the Early Singles a bit more than a bunch of Piper, but now I'm thankful for all that early Floyd (and I do have the huge Early Years box too now). I'm NOT yet into Syd's solo stuff very much at all, but his contributions to Pink Floyd were the stuff of magic.

My LEAST favorite Piper tracks are probably: "The Gnome", "Chapter 24", and I go back and forth about "Bike" (god knows it's iconic, I'll give it that) -- which is to say that some days I do really rather LIKE "Bike" -- but it's pretty annoying sometimes too.

I've been meaning to try and build a 'better' Piper, one of these days, using some Piper-era singles and dropping a few tracks. Been on my list of things to do for years, actually, something I guess I'll get around to eventually.

3. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

Piper is one of my favorite albums, but I can't compare it with any other Pink Floyd albums because they were basically an entirely different band on Piper.

Adam9, Hamhead, geezin' and 11 others like this.
  4. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Count me as a LOVER of this album!!!

5. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

Genius from start to finish... well, apart from "Take Up Thy Stethoscope" and, even there, Syd and Rick are doing their utmost to rescue it.

DTK, Steve G, Larry Schmidt and 8 others like this.
  6. Joe N

Joe N Forum Resident

Psychedellic masterpiece. As good their later epic albums were, this is still my favorite Pink Floyd album.

7. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Not really, they had a different captain at the helm, but there's a lot of similarity between what they did on Piper and what they did later. The vocal noises on "Pow R Toch H" and "Bike" prefigure Waters' "Several Species..." on Ummagumma. The churning instrumental passages in most of the songs are kind of bubblegum versions of similar excursions in "Careful With That Axe, Eugene" and "Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun." The songs on Piper are much shorter and poppier but the sort of seat-of-the-pants improvisation stayed with the Floyd up until at least Obscured By Clouds.

Personally, I think Piper is among Floyd's very best albums. I used to hate it when I was young because it's so different and so childlike but now I'm just amazed that such a band existed in '67. There were a lot of bands who were similar but I think the Floyd approached psychedelic music from such a unique angle.

8. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I love it.

Front 242 Addict and sathvyre like this.
  9. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

I love the uniqueness of this album. I love the whimsical lyrics. I simply love it.

Nothing sounds quite like Syd Barrett

10. Beatles Floyd

11. bobc

bobc Bluesman

It is by far the best album by The Pink Floyd and it's much better than any of Syd's solo albums.

12. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

Bought it on Tower the week it came out, have been listening to it now for nearly 50 years and have never grown tired of it. Steadily downhill for me after that.

13. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

Y'all from the south?

Beatles Floyd likes this.
  14. Mainline461

Mainline461 Forum Resident

It sounds dated and the production primitive. I'd rather listen to Saucerful, More, or even Umagumma for that matter. This of course IMHO.

Marvin likes this.
  15. powissquare

powissquare Forum Resident

It's one of my favourite albums of all time. Picked up a copy when I was 16 (1990) and fell in love with it. I'm not a fan of the rest of Pink Floyd's output (I like DSOTM though). Picked up a mono original pressing last year - amazed how much better/different it sounds, its like hearing it a fresh.

16. SonicBob

SonicBob Forum Resident

Its quite an extraordinary debut album, imo and quite different of course, from where the Floyd evolved on proceeding releases like "Meddle", but "Piper" is forever Roger Keith(Syd) Barrett's bright flash of brilliance and displayed his whimsical songwriting talents. As I was exposed to the band from releases like "The Wall" and "Wish You Were Here", my first impression of "Piper" was that it was quite dated in its mid-60's psychedelic beginnings with influences of blues and pop blended together. The more I played it, the more I was intrigued and drawn in to its sound and vibe. Favorite cuts are "Bike", "Flaming", "Chapter 24", "The Scarecrow", "Matilda Mother" and "Astronomy Domine'".

Front 242 Addict and bobc like this.
  17. colgems1966

colgems1966 PhD in Les Pauls and Telecasters

it's my favorite of their albums.

18. Crimson jon

Crimson jon Forum Resident

One of my favorite albums of all time. That being said I wish we could cut pick up thy scethescope and scarecrow and insert Arnold Layne and see Emily play. Then we would be talking about possibly the definitive psych album instead of top 4.

Front 242 Addict, bobc, Tim S and 2 others like this.
  19. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

Piper was my first introduction to Pink Floyd. I took a chance and bought the US version when it first came out. I thought it had a unique vibe to it. I saw Pink Floyd during their tour behind Saucerful of Secrets in the Summer of 1968. During their first set, they played much of the material from Piper with Rick Wright, Dave Gilmour and Roger Waters performing the vocals that Syd Barrett had done.

Piper will always be a special record for me. It set me up for all the records that followed up though Dark Side of the Moon.

20. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident

The best album of the 1967. Which is quite impressive when you think about all the heavyweights that were released that year.

21. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

My version had Emily. No Bike, Flaming or Astronomy Domine.

LitHum05, Moonbeam Skies and bhazen like this.
  22. Beatles Floyd

Yes, from Texas

23. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Wonderful album. My favourite Floyd by far. It defines British 60s psychedelia to me.

24. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I'd leave The Scarecrow on it, but place See Emily Play where Take Up Thy Stethoscope is to end side one. Stethoscope would be a great non album B-side instead. I'd leave Arnold Layne as a non album single, as 45s are amazing and the sixties is probably the best era for them.

25. Louis Kirsch

Louis Kirsch Forum Resident

Love it. It's so much different than any of the others. Could be the Syd influence but for me like it more than Saucerful an Ummagumma.

Front 242 Addict and bobc like this.