Pink Floyd The Wall, my shoot-out

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dave, Jun 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. evanft

evanft Forum Resident

Anyone?

2. The non-DIDP version was pressed in Japan by Nippon Columbia/Denon (no relation to CBS/Columbia - used to be 80 years ago). This version was pressed around 1986-7 as an extra run to the DADC USA discs made for the USA. Not a first pressing, so the master maybe the same as the DADC USA pressing.

3. evanft

evanft Forum Resident

The DIDP version of the C2K 36183 seem to be more common, or at least they are on eBay.

Wait, does this mean that all of the C2K 36183 pressings (Canadian, non-DIDP U.S., DIDP U.S.) are the same mastering?

I know I keep pestering about this, but I wanna make sure I get the right mastering.

4. Gary Freed

Gary Freed Forum Resident

In fairness to Mr. Sax the tapes had to be Baked in an oven and had seen many more miles through playback machines. Urgh!

5. ec461

ec461 Forum Resident

Yes, they are all the same mastering.

6. evanft

evanft Forum Resident

Thank you.

I kept finding DIDP versions and was weirded out about the mastering.

7. GP

GP Senior Member

Every so often the Ebay seller fltreasures is selling a handful of DIDP pressings still in the long box. I don't know where they're coming from, but I bought one for myself.

The Wall Sealed

Attached Files:

8. audiospirit

audiospirit Active Member

I've got today WG Harvest and compared it with UK Silver Harvest (early ,NO UPC)

They have different mastering.I've extracted songs 1 and 6 using EAC,peak level is also different.On UK 100% ,on WG 97,7% on both songs.
    Listening experience is also very close,but WG is bit more clear &with better dimension.
    On adobe audition waveforms for song 1 looks same,for song 6 is different.
    Time length on cd player for disc 1 same. But I don't hear dramatic difference,WG is slightly better.

9. audiospirit

I actually prefer WG Black Harvest than UK Silver than Japan Black Harvest.

For me basses on WG and UK is better than by Japanese version and dimension is better too.Also Japanese version is more quiet than first 2.

But,of course, it is matter of taste.

10. ricks

ricks Senior Member

This is on loooong thread to go through

Maybe we should have a scorecard of who's for the Columbia Japan lineage and who's in the Harvest camp. :)

Seems like for a decent but not a true high end system like mine, the 48DP or the W. Germany Blackface would be the way to go.

RL

11. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I've never seen so many different masters of the same cd.. Quite amazing... I guess it's a tribute to all us Pink Floyd fans.

I'm curious to hear the MFSL version myself based on how much it sells for on ebay. Right now there's one for $282.

12. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

you might think so.....BUT...

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showpost.php?p=2724492&postcount=15

13. audiospirit

Ok,but sometimes small differences is what we are all looking for here :).And slighly better cds cost much more than their differences (in percentage) compare to standard releases.That is hard audiophile life :)

14. ricks

ricks Senior Member

15. fumi

fumi Forum Resident

Get the 50DP then you can relax and put all this behind you. ;)

16. Well, your post inspired me to start a poll on this subject. I am very curious myself.

The poll can be found here:

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=120946

17. Dynamic Ranger

Dynamic Ranger Forum Resident

Well, to throw my hat into the ring:

My US C2K-36183 discs don't have that little triangle logo that most other Columbia/CBS albums do.

Dave likes this.
  18. cordobaman

cordobaman Rich Corinthian Leather

I have the 2011 Remaster, was very disappointed from the first listen. Seemed muted and cold. So after reading every post of this loooong thread I took a leap and procured a Japan CBS/Sony 48DP 5007-8.

Wow, just fabulous. I have never heard such detail. The instruments...you can hear the pluck of bass, the snap of the snare drum, the shimmer of the cymbals, the acoustic guitar's stings rattle on the fretboard. The keyboards just flow and almost seem like they are in surround sound. Dynamic with just the right amount of bass and great highs. I'm a happy camper!

pinkchris1967, yasujiro and Dave like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.