Pioneer DV-578A-s Question?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Michael, Nov 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O! Thread Starter

Best Buy has this player as closeout merchandise and disontinued?..was this replaced by a newer model? or just a best Buy thing? I believe the unit came out this past April?

2. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Michael,

I'm not aware of any replacement yet, but there will be mostly likely one annouced around the time of CES in January.

3. Michael

...so this is the current model, not to be replaced until April/May 2005, yes?
    They had a floor model for $79.99. Don't know if was messed with though?

4. RJL2424

RJL2424 Forum Resident

Unfortunately, the replacement model will likely not support any high-resolution audio formats. Instead, it will be an entirely different unit which will provide advanced video capabilities but only low-resolution (CD-quality or worse) audio support. So, if the new Toshiba single-play DVD player which sells for $180 can't play back full-resolution SACDs or DVD-As at all whatsoever, it appears that with this forthcoming new model, Pioneer will follow suit.

5. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Hard to say. Could be just your BB is closing these out, to make room or whatever. Do they have new-in-the-box units marked down too? If not, it could be just your store getting rid of their floor model.

I'd say pick one up if you've been considering it. My bud has the 563A, and it works pretty good for $149. The 578A has good video quality for the price, and the ability to playback virtually anything you can throw at it is nice for the low price.

6. EricF

EricF Well-Known Member

I think it just a Best Buy thing. Everyone else still has it priced at $149 with no mention of it being discontinued. It was still a current model on Pioneer's website last week. I bought one mainly for DVD viewing, SACD and DVD-A is a nice feature to have for the second system.

7. Michael

Thanks All!

8. Michael

Oh I forgot, very important, since Best Buy has the unit as an open box sale, what accessories came with it?

9. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

Crutchfield has had the 578AS on special for $129.99 for the past few weeks.

10. CT Dave

CT Dave Senior Member

The Best Buy in Holyoke, MA had several new in the box 578-A's marked down to 99.99 a couple of weeks ago. Don't know if there are any left now, though. I think BB is just dropping it from their inventory.

11. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Best Buy has discontinued the model. Maybe they have been burned by so may returns from problems with it. I saw one for $89 at BB, but passed on it. I would rather buy Sony at this point.

I also notice TONS of Samsung SACD units being sold at reduced prices. They are returns all wrapped in cellophane.

12. Metoo

Metoo Forum Hall Of Fame

I agree with RJL2424, I don't think Pioneer will substitute this model (the 578) with any budget player with HiRes audio capability.

13. Michael

...what was wrong with it? I thought it was a great bargain?

14. Michael

Does anyone have this? Please tell me what contained in the original packaging, I was thinking of getting a floor model and like to know what was included with this player...thanks.:)

15. EricF

EricF Well-Known Member

The remote, power cord, manual, cheap red-yellow-white rca cable. That's pretty much it.

16. EricF

EricF Well-Known Member

I don't think anything was wrong with it. I notice our Best Buy always has a lot of open-box dvd players that retailed for over $100 new. I think a lot of customers get talked into features they don't need or won't use. Then they realize a $60 Toshiba strip-model will fill their needs just fine.

17. Michael

Thanks, the usual I guess.:)

18. Michael

The 578A-s are just on the shelf, no box just as is...I wonder, are these returned units?

19. Metoo

Metoo Forum Hall Of Fame

The player is a good budget one. It's just that it seems that a few hardware brands (if not all) are about to nip the short existence (time wise) of budget universal players on the bud.

Here's a review of the product: http://www.hometheatermag.com/dvdplayers/1104pioneer/

20. Michael

thanks, but I can't open your link? I'd love to see the review...can you please post it again?

21. EricF

EricF Well-Known Member

Probably. When an item is returned they just put it in the shelf at a discount. Usually without the box. I doubt there is anything wrong with them. If the player is in good cosmetic condition, ask them to plug it in to see if it powers up. They should still honor the normal return policy if it doesn't work correctly once you get it home. If it was me, I would try to find a good deal on a new one. The risk may outweigh the money saves. It's still a bargain under $150.

22. Michael

..Question, for those who have the 578A, is it possible to play SACD, CD and DVDA without turning the TV menu on?

23. Metoo

Metoo Forum Hall Of Fame

I've got the 565 (Europe's version of the 563, the model just before this one) and you can play CD and SA-CD without turning the TV on. As to DVD-A, if you can remember how each one started you can make them run without turning on the TV.

For example, I know that with one click after the menu music starts in the Tommy DVD-A I can listen to the 5.1 mix. If instead of doing this I press the down arrow button and then Enter I will listen to the stereo one. All without having to turn on the TV.

Hope this helps.

24. Michael

Thanks, Is it possible to repost the REVIEW link you posted? I get a blank screen?

25. Metoo

Metoo Forum Hall Of Fame

Try accessing the page from here: http://www.hometheatermag.com/dvdplayers/

I've tried it,m but it seems it's the Web site that's having some problems. In any case this other link also takes some time to open, at least on my computer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.