1. Please help us keep us afloat without banner ads. DONATE NOW! Please visit our 2015 Forum Fundraiser thread for details, or donate directly here. Thank you very much for your support!

> PIONEER VSX-D1S A/V Stereo Receiver (1990)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by MacGyver, Aug 19, 2009.

1. MacGyver

MacGyver Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

this is my first ever PIONEER component, and my first ever serious audio component. it has continually served me so very well since i purchased it for $350.00 back in 2003. a $1300,00, 1990/1993 model, i consider it to be PIONEER's last great Receiver, and last great audio component to date. please do not take it lightly because of it's A/V functions; PIONEER added those on to a solidly designed stereo receiver capable of true High-Fidelity acoustic articulation. it might not be the match of a component AMP/PREAMP combo, like, say, PIONEER's own C-90/M90 ultimate fidelity stereo components, but it it comes awful close for a receiver, IMO. at any rate, for those with a preference for receiver based amplification, this unit is damned hard to beat...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

SUGGESTION: substitute the supplied CU-VSX014 remote for a CU-AV200

[​IMG]

2. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue

That's perty.

3. bonjo

bonjo Well-Known Member

Looks like your typical million-button, Church/Hall/Jazz sound-fielding, early 90's receiver. I used to have a Sony ES receiver very much like this, with pretty wood side panels and bouncing lights. I loved it.

4. PhilBiker

PhilBiker Formerly Philip Hamm

And every sound field sounds like a bathroom. :) Those machines can sound really nice in "direct" mode or straight stereo. :) I have a similar Phillips brand reciever with all those buttons and stuff.

5. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

I wanted one of these back in the latter 80's. I wanted it partly because the remote would run my LD player. However, I got a steal of a deal on a VSX-5000 and I got 2 SAE power amps and used the 5000 as a pre. That was my first surround system back about 1990.