Pioneer's new PLX-1000 Turntable

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by bluelips, Jul 17, 2014.

1. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Rather different than set up parameters to accommodate a particular cartridge, and how do you know the precise designed setting for the bearings rather than by feel /guesswork?

2. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident

I'm not sure the bearing settings are precisely designed! :)

Herb Reichert's follow up in Stereophile 38/7.

Mr Reichert gives detailed instructions on how to check & adjust the bearings.

Unfortunately I've donated my copy that I meant to keep, but found the column is up on the Stereophile site.

http://www.stereophile.com/content/gramophone-dreams-3-follow#QDPfhvF1xmDAm0y9.97

rtrt likes this.
  3. rtrt

rtrt Forum Resident

this quote from the article is interesting no?

'The venerable Technics is a cult object worldwide for which hundreds of aftermarket parts and upgrades are available; many of these—armboards, tonearms, damping, platter mats, etc.—will fit the PLX-1000.'

4. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident

That's very interesting indeed.

I haven't heard from anyone else that has tried part swapping yet. It would be interesting if the KAB mods, like the damping paddle, would fit the PLX-1000 too.

I haven't had a cartridge incompatibility issue yet, aside from every cartridge that I've tried being too short without a spacer, but would imagine the damping paddle would make the list of prospective cartridges even larger.

By the way, I found these derlin cartridge spacers on Ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Two-2-Non-m...rtridge-Spacers-0-5g-3mm-Total-/111710740356?

They're nice as they give you added height without adding too much weight.

For cartridges like the Denon DL-103 that benefit from extra height & weight, the ISOkinetik spacers are nice.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ISOkinetik-CARTRIDGE-STABILISER-FOR-DENON-103-DL-103R-/181341655530

5. Classicrock

Would need further evidence that Technics parts are interchangeable. If the arm board is removable and swappable with aftermarket Technics armboards so enabling the use of a high quality arm, this puts a different perspective on this TT's value.

6. Neilson77

Neilson77 Forum Resident

I read adjusting tonearm bearings yourself you will never get them to the precise factory tolerances.

7. Classicrock

There are a number of companies that make replacement arm boards for Technics SL1200 (several in UK) which enable removal of stock arm and replacement with Rega. Jelco, SME etc. Technics never supplied themselves except back in the 70's when there was an armless version of the earlier SL1200. I can assure you the stock arm and mounting plate can be removed fairly easily by removing the base.

8. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Oh, I see. Aftermarket boards that fit into the tables.

9. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

This is sort of hyperbole. No way there are "hundreds" of aftermarket parts and upgrades, unless you want to count every kind of mat or arm in existence as a possible "Technics" upgrade. That's like calling the hundreds of gear shift knobs made for other cars potential "BMW upgrades." Apart from putting on a better arm, I think the only bonafide Technics-specific upgrades to a 1200 are KAB's fluid damper (which most report as offering a small upgrade, though I'd still like to try it) and the classic arm rewire mod (a good upgrade) Also maybe wrapping the arm for resonance. Damping? Don't know of anyone who damps their 1200, it's not needed. It's a freaking block of metal and dense rubber. Outside of swapping the arm I can't think of any upgrades I've read about that even sound worthwhile. People of course will bring up whatever mat tickles their fancy. Fine. I actually think one of the best made mats around is that uber thick stock Technics mat! Honestly, that's why the 1200 is a good table. Technics did it right. It's a simple table like a good Honda engine, already tweaked to perfection and pared down to all that you need. Any upgrades besides stripping away the arm are, in my opinion, fanciful.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2015
  10. Classicrock

Due to the raised edge/lip mats have to be made specific to Technics SL1200. Mat changes have proved to be a significant upgrade including the expensive Oyaide steel mat. Also replacement feet, bearings, offboard power supplies and platters. I'm dubious many of these will fit the Pioneer as there are many design difference between Hanpin and Technics. Check out the Sound Hi-Fi site and AOS forum for some idea of what is available.

http://www.soundhifi.com/sl1200/index.htm

http://theartofsound.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?46-The-Techiepedia

11. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident

If the bearings (on the PLX-1000) were set to set to precise factory tolerances, folks like me would not be tempted to adjust them.

If the bearings are loose, what's the harm in tightening them as long as you don't over tighten them?

I wouldn't try adjusting the bearings on a SME, or even my Rega, but the PLX seems fair game to me.

It's a modest table that seems like it really likes to play records! :)

Turntable likes this.
  12. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Again, skeptical of any of this junk making an improvement. I played the mat game. Waste of money. Same with record clamps which can kill your sound. Explain to me the need for a record weight on a direct drive turntable known for the best wow and flutter specs in the market? Zero need for a new platter -- the original is a monster -- even if it has fancy holes drilled in it. I've seen those new feet. How much do they cost. Five hundred? For what? Unless you're mounting your table on directly top of your speakers, the sl-1200 -- a damn dj table -- is going to reject anyone's living room vibrations. That page of tweaks is someone making money with "high end" ie expensive mods from people with money to waste who've heard the SL-1200 is a table to have by can't reconcile having a stock table sitting beside their Grand Fandango Wazoo Preamplifier. It's like sports cars owners replacing a plastic gear shift knob with a silver and leather one for "performance" reasons. Outboard power supply to eliminate the "hum audible through the cartridge". Technics owners who hear their tables hum, please raise your hand? And the power supply on the technics is too weak? A startup time of a fraction of a second, yet the motor can be too weak causing clipping" Love to hear comparison sound files of a table fully fitted out with $4k of these tweaks vs a stock table. All the changes are probably equivalent to lightening your tracking weight a quarter gram and adjusting your VTA. Oops, those options of a stock table. Again. New arm? Sure. The rest is window dressing.

If you want your table to look like this, buy this.

[​IMG]

Wngnt90, Wounded Land and telemike like this.
  13. jonstatt

jonstatt Forum Resident

This is just not the case. The bearing should be tightened enough that it does not allow "play" which can result in chatter due to the tiny freedom of movement....and it shouldn't be so tight that it "grabs" and prevents the free movement of the arm as it works its way across the disc. Anything inbetween is absolutely fine and makes absolutely zero difference in terms of the audio output.

Dr. Metal MD and Turntable like this.
  14. Neilson77

Neilson77 Forum Resident

Does the Pioneer's added insulation in the tonearm tube improve the sound quality Vs. a Technics SL 1200? I know the 1200's tonearm is often cited as its weak point.

15. jonstatt

jonstatt Forum Resident

I doubt the insulation makes much of a difference in sound quality. It is there for DJ use to prevent howling due to the increased isolation of the arm in very loud music scenarios like a club. It will add extra weight to the arm, ensuring it sits firmly in the mid-weight arm category. This means it is compatible with a very wide array of cartridges from a relative high compliance 2M Black to a low compliance cart like a Dynavector XX2.

What is more important is to prevent motor vibrations being transmitted to the cartridge/tonearm and that is done by having a heavy plinth with dampening which the PLX-1000 also has.

I have auditioned a few tables, and in my own limited evaluations, I found arm changes to have the least "sound output" difference, particularly with a cart like the XX2 which specifically does NOT require or benefit from a dampened arm. In fact I found the turntable mat to make more of a difference than arm changes :)

16. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

I wouldn't try tightening the bearings on my SME III and couldn't if I wanted to, as it's a knife-edge bearing.

I'm seeing some serious Technics 1200 worship here. I've heard better.

17. Neilson77

Neilson77 Forum Resident

How do you rate the Technics 1200? Most audiophiles will sneer at it but I hear with a few minor upgrades (fluid bath damper, tonearm resonance cap, arm upgrade) it can compete with entry level audiophile tables.

18. 762rob

762rob Forum Resident

Got one new in box two years ago it is awesome, NOBODY bought them in '89 when they came out - CD fever at the time (perfect sound forever)
    Mine is matched with a Denon DL 103 cartridge.
    The new Pioneer table looks interesting I have read some good reviews on it.

GuildX700 likes this.
  19. jonstatt

jonstatt Forum Resident

I have not heard the Technics side by side to the Pioneer, or in my home set-up. I have put the Dynavector XX2 on one though and thought it sounded absolutely stunning with a stock 1200. But like I said earlier, this cartridge is a bit special because it actually benefits from NOT having a damped tonearm. So it is funnily enough particularly suited to less sophisticated designs. But to be clear, I am absolutely not saying there is no benefit at all in a tonearm upgrade. It is just in my limited evaluations I found it made a very small difference. So far in all my tests, the biggest difference comes from the cartridge. That is where truly obvious and profound differences appear.

Neilson77 likes this.
  20. missan

missan Forum Resident

I don´t understand what You mean, would it better when using this cartridge that the arm is vibrating? If so what types of vibrations would be good to have?

21. jonstatt

jonstatt Forum Resident

No, that's a bit of a twist on what I was trying to say. I was saying that a dampened arm has no overall sonic benefit with this particular cartridge because according to various articles on this cartridge, and I quote
    and therefore according to http://www.tnt-audio.com/accessories/silicone_damping_e.html, and I quote

But this is not the only place saying this. There are several review comments that have mentioned the lack of a need for additional arm damping (dampening) due to the design of this cart. For example HiFi critic also recommend against additional arm damping for this cart.

22. missan

missan Forum Resident

There is no possible way to damp the cantilever, with any cartridge, so that an arm damping isn´t a benefit.

23. jonstatt

jonstatt Forum Resident

Well clearly your statement is at odds with several reviews and discussions out there....but as this is OT for this thread, we should leave it there.

24. Dr. Metal MD

Dr. Metal MD Forum Resident

Well, I was able to get a VG conditioned MKII Technics 1200 with a new KUB tonearm and a new dust cover for $350 + shipping. I was really torn on whether or not to bite on this incredible deal, because I was banking on picking up the PLX 1000 eventually. However, at half the price, I really could not turn it down. It's in the mail now, so I absolutely cannot wait for it to get in so I can set it up! I'll always want a PLX 1000 though....

25. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I have a feeling that once you experience the Technics, your interest in the PLX 1000 will fade.