Pioneer's new PLX-1000 Turntable

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by bluelips, Jul 17, 2014.

1. Dr. Metal MD

Dr. Metal MD Forum Resident

Now you're making me that much more excited for it to arrive. I hope you're right. I know this is a minor point, but I want a black turntable, like the MK5, but I didn't want to pay that much more for a MK5 since they seem to go for a good chunk of more money. The PLX looks like a beautiful table, too. It's all in how it performs though. I'm incredibly excited to see what all the Technics hype is about.

2. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

The 1210MK2's are black too; you don't need to shell out for an MG5. I think the silver will grow on you though. One thing that REALLY classes up a 1200 is the KAB wooden base you drop it in - it makes it look really classy, like the awesome custom plinths you see. I kept it after giving away my Technics in case I ever end up getting another one.

3. Dr. Metal MD

Oops, I meant the 1210's. I my AT LP120 is silver right now. The 1200 is certainly an attractive table in silver, I just would prefer, if I could pick, a black one. Either way, I can hardly turn my nose up at the deal I got.

I've seen those. They look incredible. Do they do anything to sound quality or performance? Are you willing to sell yours by any chance?

4. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

You can pick up some nice black covers got the SL-1200 plinth on eBay for around $40 or so.

5. Dr. Metal MD

Good to hear. I'm trying to find what you're talking about, but am unable to. Would you mind providing a URL for me? Thanks a ton!

6. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Search for "Technics faceplate".

7. Dr. Metal MD

Great! Thanks! Found them.

8. rtrt

rtrt Forum Resident

if I had a technics I'd be tempted by one of the strong colours :D

Dr. Metal MD likes this.
  9. panasoffkee and Dr. Metal MD like this.
  10. Wngnt90

Wngnt90 Forum Resident

Well said!

11. Wngnt90

Wngnt90 Forum Resident

My 1200 mk2 is black....manufactured in 2001.

12. Dr. Metal MD

I was under the misunderstanding that all MKII were silver then! Very nice. I am thinking of buying a black faceplate for it after it arrives.

13. Dr. Metal MD

Got my Technics today. Set it all up and enjoying it right now. Honestly, it doesn't sound THAT much better than the AT LP 120 after all the mods that I did. Granted, I'm only into my first LP with it, but the AT LP120 after being modded really holds its own. Anyway, proud Technics owner now! I would still love to try the PLX 1000 sometime.

rtrt likes this.
  14. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member

Metal

You should have bought the PLX-1000

That would sound a lot better

15. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident

The PLX-1000 is very nice! I'm really liking it!

But sometimes, I wake up in the middle of the night, fantasizing about a SL-1200 with a Jelco 750, with hundreds of different cartridges pre-mounted in headshells, just waiting to be played! :)

16. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member

Feed the fantasy and buy one. You can't have enough turntables :uhhuh:

33na3rd likes this.
  17. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident

I do believe that there is no vice in having many turntables!

However, I'm confident that the moment I purchase a used SL-1200, that's when Panasonic announces new Technics tables! And since they've recently introduced new products, my paranoia almost seems rational.

That's the problem with paranoia. You end up being correct almost half the time, so where's the incentive for treatment? :cool:

Dr. Metal MD and Turntable like this.
  18. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

Is there any real consensus if the wow and flutter spec is worse on the plx 1000 than the technics sl1200? Is this table superior to the 1200 or the same ? Just curious.. I love my 1200 but curious about this piece. Stereophile gave it a rave review. Is it Chinese made?

Dr. Metal MD likes this.
  19. roy younger

roy younger New Member

Anybody having problems with loose tonearm bearings on the plx? I have had several Hanpins and this is one of them . It is a common problem. If they would tighten up QA their tables would be pretty good. I do not think there ever will be another Tech. A very loose rumor said the motor had been tweeked and re patent by another company. VIP uses it in their classic direct drive. Cost ? Around 30 grand. Turntable Lab is selling reconditioned Techs for 799.

20. roy younger

roy younger New Member

Be careful of reviews often times they receive cherry picks and not off the self. Yes it is a China special.

21. missan

missan Forum Resident

I have not seen any comparings of W&F, I believe nobody knows. As for the rest isn´t it very much subjective, and nothing is as subjective as a magazine´s review.

22. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member

Incorrect, The direct drive motor used in the VPI classic direct is made by Thin Gap, in Ventura, California.

http://www.thingap.com

Tightening the bearings on the tonearm is easier than picking your nose, takes about 30 seconds.

Really, not much to cherry pick on a $700 turntable. Perhaps he just like it as he stated in the review.

23. Dr. Metal MD

I got the 1200 for literally half the price of the PLX-1000 with a new-ish tonearm, brand new already installed Technics dust cover, and a Shure M97xE cart (which I already have anyway). It is in excellent cosmetic and working condition, looks nearly brand new. I am very happy with this purchase. On further listening outside of that 1 LP that I judged my initial assessment on, I am very pleased at the sound quality and performance. The table is built like an absolute tank compared to the AT LP120. I was merely giving praise to the performance one can get out of an AT LP120 for just over $200, not dinging the Technics. I'm very pleased with my purchase and now I save $350 for more records and eventually a new phono stage. I would absolutely love the PLX-1000, maybe someday. I just couldn't turn down the deal that I stumbled across.

Erik Tracy likes this.
  24. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member

Hi Metal

For that price, I would jump at it too. Bargain

Enjoy the table:edthumbs:

25. Dr. Metal MD

Cheers, man. Will do. Once the budget allows for more turntables, I will set my eyes on a PLX-1000 if I cannot yet afford a VPI classic or better.