Pioneer's new PLX-1000 Turntable

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by bluelips, Jul 17, 2014.

1. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Sorry to hear there are still samples with loose bearings. Mine appear fine. For thicker mat you adjust the arm height. Instructions on this and feet in the manual. Suggest you read it.

2. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

the overhang setting in the manual is correct. I tested it with a custom arc protractor I generated with the Technics specs (215mm pivot to spindle, 15mm overhang, 22-degree offset angle) and setting the cartridge square in the headshell with 54mm from the stylus tip to the rubber washer on the back matched perfectly with arc protractor. So it looks like the PLX-1000 arm, while it ther manual states 215mm pivot to spindle, 15mm overhang and 230mm effective length), to achieve this you need to set the stylus 54mm from the rubber washer and not 52mm as with the SL-1200. This is not that unusual. I've read that older Pioneer turntables required 49mm. It's just that folks have been approaching this table as an SL-1200 clone and expect it to be the same.

The downside of this is that someone with an SL-1200 cannot swap mounted cartridges and have the same alignment on both tables. It also means only cartridges with a long enough cantilever will reach a Baerwald (Lofgren A) alignment using the standard headshell or the Technics one. I have a couple of LPGear Zupreme shells with longer slots and those work fine, but I find the 54mm alignment sounds fine and is so easy to set up I don't bother anymore. I currently have my AT150Sa on a Technics headshell at the 54mm setting and it's sounding tremendous.

rtrt likes this.
  3. rtrt

rtrt Forum Resident

Sure, as well as for different cartridge heights of course.

I was referring to my expectation of a thicker mat possibly being needed, for cartridges that are less than 19mm - like mine that are c15mm. The manual suggests that the arm height will accommodate 19-25mm cartridges, with 0-6 setting matching these heights.

As you can't go less than 0 (well you can a little bit - at least on mine) it seemed that I'd need to lift the record up instead, with a thicker mat. Except with my Ortofon headshell, it turned out that the stock mat and a 0 arm height appear to be fine.

Appreciate the advice - but I'm not sure why you think I didn't?
    Thats how i discovered the feet and arm lift are both adjustable and I made a reference to the overhang being 54mm in the manual.

4. rtrt

rtrt Forum Resident

Thanks for the feedback - useful as I don't have the knowledge/skills to check. I'll have another look at tweaking mine this weekend.

I found the 52mm overhang post - it was on vinyl engine. I'm not sure about cross posting from another forum so won't. But will reply there and suggest 52mm not accurate - tbh I was surprised that no-one else had queried the post, but then there's less interest there with c10% of the posts that there are here.

5. Classicrock

I suggest ignore manual and set level using a mini spirit level on the head shell. It's suck it and see. I'm not clear if their measurements are based on the rubber mat or the supplied slip mat. Just a thought. BTW the arm tube due to being curved or otherwise does not appear level but sloping down slightly when the head shell is level. Go by head shell level or in some cases stylus rake angle depending on body design. Also I set alignment using a Martin Bastin protractor which roughly coincided with the overhang gauge printed in the manual. Just use an alignment protractor as per most turntables for different head shells.

6. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

I really wanted this table, but I could not find a good deal and I tried hard to find one for months and through Christmas.

I settled on a AT-LP-1240 for Christmas (from the wife), I thought it would be decent, it is way better built than I imagined. No loose tonearm bearings at all and sounds great with AT120E.

I was pleasantly surprised how good the TT is. If the Pioneer comes down, I would buy it as a back up. I gave up on my Vintage TT's, they both were acting up a lot.

Congrats on the new TT!

7. Davey

Davey NP: Bruce Brubaker ~ Eno Piano (2023)

There were 15% discounts around the Black Friday time, and 10% right now at Turntable Lab. Too late for you I guess, but if someone else is looking for a discount, not huge but it's still around $70 ... Black Friday Deals on Turntables? »

Shopping cart
    Product image
    Description Quantity Price
    [​IMG]
    1 Pioneer: PLX-1000 Professional Turntable Turntable 1 $699.00
    Cost summary
    Description
    Price
    Subtotal $699.00
    Discount REWARD10
    - $69.90
    Shipping —
    Total USD $629.10

Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
  8. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

Not bad, but I was waiting for a $500 price tag. Saving over $250 over that sale price was worth it to buy the AT 1240. They are a bit similar, except for motor/tonearm dampening and SN ratio.

Just a tad steep for what it is. I feel a lot better with the purchase of the AT 1240. I did hear someone getting it for $500, but I have never seen that price.

9. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

I've been wondering if the arm boards that are available for the Technics will fit.

rtrt likes this.
  10. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident

The pictures on the web seem to show similar placement of arm mounting hardware between the two tables, but I haven't found any links to someone that has actually tried it as of my last search.

I'm too chicken to try it myself first. I have fubar-ed a couple of things in the past!

rtrt, bru87tr and HiFi Guy like this.
  11. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

The member known as vincei on Audiokarma has done some arm replacements on SL-1200's and he had a PLX-1000 for awhile (perhaps he still does, I'm not sure). IIRC he mentioned something over on that forum that the arm mounting is different inside on the PLX-1000 so it wouldn't be an exact swap.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2016
    33na3rd, rtrt and HiFi Guy like this.
  12. rtrt

rtrt Forum Resident

Yes I think we're on the same page here. Hadn't thought about the curved arm - thanks for the pointer. Hoping to find some time at the weekend to tweak the alignment.

13. rtrt

rtrt Forum Resident

Thank you - taken a while to get here but I'm happy.
    In fact my delaying meant the price had gone up here in the UK - due to brexit related currency changes.
    Maybe it'll come down for you, if they update and you could pick up the previous model as they run down stocks...

14. rtrt

rtrt Forum Resident

I'll likely have the table opened to check if the hinge screws will touch the psu board.

I plan to look at the underside of the arm and take some pictures just to get a feel for whether a later upgrade will be possible.

I just thought of asking if anyone wanted to post a Technics mounting plate and i'd return it once i'd test fitted it - assuming it didn't look risky too disassemble the arm mount. But if someone on the internet asked me, I know what I'd say in return!

If someone is able to make a plastic or card template and send that to me, i'd happily take a look - again assuming it doesn't look too risky. No hurry as I won't be looking at adding the hinged cover for a while yet.

15. Classicrock

Covers actually are not good for sound quality. There were some versions of the Sl1200 that did not have a hinged cover. An alternative to lifting cover on and off (main problem is putting it somewhere) is to buy a soft cover designed for the SL12oo of which there are some on Amazon. SME TTs use a soft cover rather than a lid. Could also try a Michell or Avid platter/arm cover which keeps dust off the important parts and protects the arm.

bru87tr likes this.
  16. rtrt

rtrt Forum Resident

I think we probably have a different viewpoint. I do agree though that finding somewhere to put the cover whilst playing is a problem - at least for our setups. I just don't have the space in my smallish/crowded space.

Where we differ - is that for some (much?) of the time I'm happy to compromise the sound by having the cover on and down whilst playing.

When I don't want the cover on, then the Reloop hinges allow the cover to be removed easily. The hinges have a tab that slots into a plate screwed to the back of the table. At least that's the theory - I won't know how well it works till I try it out.

Someone did tell me that they left the hinged cover in the up position and that helped - might well try that too.

HiFi Guy likes this.
  17. machone

machone New Member

Hello everyone.
    I am new to this forum and getting back into vinyl.

After enjoying this thread and doing much research I ordered a PLX-1000.

I ordered it from Music Direct and they delivered it in two days during the Christmas rush!

I am very happy with this turntable so far. Easy to setup and user friendly. No loose tonearm bearings. No platter wobble. Rock solid speed and no rumble. I do think that the design for the tonearm vertical height adjustment is too low and I needed to add an extra rubber mat raising the platter surface so I could level the cartridge. Currently I am using a Shure SC35C/N35X combo and have another headshell on the way for a vintage V15III/VN35HE combo. The VN35HE is original and I am not sure of its condition.

Is it an acceptable practice to use spacers between the cartridge and the headshell rather than an extra rubber mat?

Having a good analog source is refreshing and I look forward to listening to my old records!

18. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident

The cartridge/headshell spacers work fine, but look a bit "odd" to me visually. I ended up doing the extra platter mat & keep telling myself that the extra mat helps damp platter resonances. :cool:

I prefer the look of the thicker mat, but the headshell spacers will be fine. I found that ebay had a variety of headshell spacers, made of different materials including some exotic woods.

Enjoy your new table!

bru87tr likes this.
  19. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

I just ordered a mat from junorecords. The 6mm Technics replacement mat was $17 compared to $50 everywhere else in the USA. They are out of the UK, but shipping was more reasonable than USA.

Total came to $23 and just got it today. Will buy from them again. Never got a shipment notice but got it in 8 days.

rtrt likes this.
  20. machone

machone New Member

Thanks bru87r!
    I ordered a 6mm today.
    FYI
    I noticed they carry the PLX-1000 priced at $550 usd but shipping brings it to $640.

rtrt likes this.
  21. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

Best deal by far for that online. No one comes close. Great deal!

Not bad on the 1000, but till I see $500 I am waiting. :)

22. rtrt

rtrt Forum Resident

Looks like Brexit is benefiting our American cousins :cool:

HiFi Guy and bru87tr like this.
  23. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

Actually don't forget that their price includes the EU Value-Added Tax of 19% (their web site says 20%). Therefore, the real price in US dollars for the PLC-1000 at junorecords.com is only $438 US plus shipping, and any import duties you might have to pay.

24. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

Quick setup question : if I trust and apply Pioneer's recommended 54mm overhang, do I need to further align the cart with a protractor (and if so, which one ?) or am I good to go (provided nothing sounds wrong) ?

25. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

If you trust the dimension you put it square in the head and don't adjust it to a protractor.

rtrt and Mrtn77 like this.