Planet Waves - Bob Dylan - 1974

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by godstar, Jun 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kirkhawley@q.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

That song... what's it called? "Rainy days by the great lakes, walking the hills of..." something, then "There was me and Danny Lopez, cold eyes... " something. Right there it's a great album and he's one of the best singers I ever heard. Then it turns to crap. That's what I think of when I think of that album, that moment.

2. cc--

cc-- Forum Resident

yep, that's "Something There Is About You," I agree, that verse is the highlight of the album: "walkin' the hills of old Duluuuuuuuuuuth..."

... "and then there was Ruuuuth."

3. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I just love the story telling in this album! It's like a friend telling you about his life.

4. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I feel 50% of this album is him at his very best. Then there is that other half which is not nearly as compelling.

But it does feel like an album recorded in three days, and mixed in two days which for Dylan is a good thing. I like the CD-4 quad mixed LP played back in stereo.

revolution_vanderbilt likes this.
  5. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

My favorite track on the album.

cc-- likes this.
  6. Abbagold

Abbagold Working class hero

Finally picked this up to fill out my Dylan collection. It's actually very, very good. It's not Blonde or 61, but it's got a vibe to it that follows along the trajectory of his releases. Damn fine album in my opinion.

Carserguev likes this.
  7. redsock

redsock Writer, reader, grouch.

Love PW. It's one of my top 5 Dylan albums. "Tough Mama" is a great funky tune.

Lonson and Six String like this.
  8. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

i always thought this was a great record not sure why it got such short shrift......actually gonna listen in a bit right after i finish up with the new shellac record

Lonson likes this.
  9. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

It got a short shrift because 50% of the record is not as strong as the stellar other 50%. It's a 50/50 album in my opinion. I really like have of it, as equal to the very best Bob.

10. streetlegal

streetlegal Forum Resident

I actually find it to be a very consistent album. There are definite (immediate) standouts, but the lesser tracks all have merits and tend to be growers (Tough Mama, Hazel, Something There is About You etc) and, arguably end up outshining the classics . . . not a bad song on this album by any stretch of the imagination.

Lonson likes this.
  11. dylankicks

dylankicks Forum Resident

I have enjoyed, and have even loved, this record on occasion but must agree with those who rate it a fair amount south of masterpiece. There are days I'll choose PW over BOTT, but the latter is a masterpiece! Several others from the 70's are a tad better or at least equal, and I'll take both RTR tours over the '74 tour any day.

12. Lonson

Argh, not me, the Rolling Thunder Revue stuff I see as a drunken sloppy mess and I rarely spin anything from that. Planet Waves is several rungs higher up the masterpiece ladder for me! Still one of my favorites.

DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  13. Rodney Toady

Rodney Toady Waste of cyberspace

I'm not the biggest Dylan fan there is, so I should probably keep quiet, but still I must say that in my opinion Planet Waves is an excellent album. It definitely belongs in my Dylan Top 5. It has always been one of my Dylan favourites and I remember having been extremely surprised to learn that it's generally not a very highly regarded album.

ramdom and DmitriKaramazov like this.
  14. Crossfire#3

Crossfire#3 Forum Resident

Planet Waves needed more prep time (which they didn't have before the tour), perhaps more tunes and more of The Band...as does the live album where the solo acoustic set and The Band on their own are both distinctive and durable(seem to recall one review likening Dylan's vocal delivery on BTF to Italian tenor??...

15. Sunflower

Sunflower Senior Member

It would have been nice if the band had backed him vocally like on the Basement Tapes and Before the Flood.

16. Abbagold

Abbagold Working class hero

I kinda like the sloppiness. If ya close one eye and have a few beers its kinda like the basement tapes.

gsmile and ruben lopez like this.
  17. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

One of these days, you should walk the streets of Duluth (assuming you haven't gotten that chance). It's a pretty great experience.

cc-- and osbie feel like this.
  18. ruben lopez

ruben lopez Nunc Est Bibendum

I have an original copy,i think the album it's a little bass shy,(i need more danko)i think it's an ok album,not his worst not his best.

19. AGimS

AGimS Forum Resident

PW is a great record, one of my favorites. I'm looking forward to the Mofi version.
    Before The Flood on the other hand I don't like so much these days, too rushed and shouting vocals,

20. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Coked to the tits, the entire band as well as Bob on that tour.

The quad LP has an opened up sound that I prefer over the regular mix.

Bob M. likes this.
  21. Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android Forum Resident

22. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Ill get in on this Planet Waves discussion.

Totally different album than any of the better albums of the 70s. For some reason Im ok that this album isnt great. It doesnt need to be. It has a laid back feel to it.

Love Dylans voice on the album. He was singing strong. Love Robbies biting plinking leads he does. Accentuates Bobs words. Garths rolling organ sound. Who doesnt love Garth on anything? "On A Night Like This" is worth the song just for the harmonica solo alone. Plus it has the words coffee grounds in it. I like that too. I can smell the song. "Something There Is About You"- great song. "Forever Young" - an anthem from the old to the young. Strong simple song. "Tough Mama"- what a hoot of a song. "meat shakin on your bones". Who else describes this type of woman like that?

I think this was Bobs sailor album. A druken sailor in a bar. Read the liner notes about stank and another word.

Jerry liked it too

Carl LaFong, D.B., Joti Cover and 4 others like this.
  23. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

First Dylan album I bought new when it first came out. I was 20 years old.

Lonson likes this.
  24. Bob M.

Bob M. Forum Resident

The original stereo mix of this great album is a bit muddy... Seek out the Quad mix for a much more enjoyable listen (IMHO)........

[​IMG]

quicksrt likes this.
  25. Lonson

Mine too. I was only nineteen though. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.