Plastic Inner Sleeves

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by DK Pete, Oct 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident Thread Starter

There's something about these I don't trust due to their "hardness"; does anyone feel the same way?

2. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

Never thought of that, I prefer them to paper ones, which often leave dust on the LP.

3. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I use whatever it was that @klownschool (Rick) recommended. Been so long since the last purchase, I don't remember what I use, but maybe he can chime in here.

4. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Plastic can mean a great deal of things. I use rice paper sleeves, which are high-density polyethylene (HDPE) in the front and rice paper sandwiched between sheets of HDPE on the back. HDPE is rather "soft" and I can't see it doing any harm to vinyl.

The FRiNgE likes this.
  5. I know the sort of "hard" anti-static sleeves the OP is referring to, and as far as I know they do no harm to the records, and are certainly better than any paper sleeves - which of course can leave surface scuffs just by removing the record.

Having said that, for that extra margin of assurance I currently use MFSL "rice paper" sleeves, such as Archtop above refers to, a nice batch of which I got via Amazon.ca a year back.

[​IMG]

billdcat, quadjoe, russk and 4 others like this.
  6. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member

Exactly what is the level for assurance you gain from mofi sleeves outside of the mofi name, square corners that crease, a history of batchs that streak your vinyl and the additional cost
    Say over the cheap poly U shaped inner sleeves?

7. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I've never had any issues with my Mofi sleeves and I have been using them for oh I can't even remember how long is how long. I guess you must have read the reports about a bad batch but that's not an issue any longer. It also wasn't an issue for that long either.

The corners on the open end of those U shaped inner sleeves also fold in my experience. Although the Mofi sleeves (like so many others) can fold at the corners it's much easier to avoid that than it is with the U shaped inner poly sleeves and poly sleeves in general. At least from my experience.

8. klownschool

klownschool Forum Resident

9. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

10. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

How do you know which ones have the plasticizers in them that are ruining records? I know the MoFi rice paper sleeves are good, not talking about those. I'm sure the problematic sleeves aren't just limited to the pink Rhino sleeves, are they?

11. DavidFell

DavidFell Forum Resident

I use these too. They feel right to me, no static, no residue, records slide in and out with ease, and the print makes it so easy to tell which end opens at a glance.

12. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

13. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

Regardless of the inner sleeve we use, the method of extracting the record, and inserting the record is important. When the sleeve contacts the record as it slides in, the record may become scuffed. To remove/insert a record without inner sleeve contact, we must handle the record one handed. There are two correct ways to handle a record:

1) two hands at the edge
    2) one hand with the two middle fingers on the label, the edge resting at the base of the thumb. This method takes some practice.

The better of these two methods is one hand, as this allows the removal/ insertion of a record without scuffing the surface.

To remove a record:
    The hands and wrist must be clean. No shirt sleeves. The hand goes INSIDE the sleeve to grasp the record. Use the one hand method, two fingers on the label, the base of the thumb on the edge. The sleeve at this point is opened on one side. Open the other side to free it from the record. Orient the record almost vertically, as this takes gravitational force off the record, so the weight of the record does not tend to bear against the sleeve. Pull the record straight up and out. The vertical should be near vertical, not exactly vertical, so the record will remain in your hand.

To insert a record:
    The reverse procedure, hold the record near vertical in one hand. Open the sleeve, and let it FALL by its own weight on the record with your hand still on it. The sleeve may need a little assist using your free hand, but will fall mostly on its own weight. Orient to horizontal. Pull your hand out.

No scuffs, never a scuff. Mint records will always appear mint.
    Surface scuffs do not affect play, but visually affects the grade and value of your collection, for anyone concerned about that.
    Steve VK

Last edited: Dec 7, 2015
    DavidFell likes this.
  14. Scott in DC

Scott in DC Forum Resident

The inner sleeves suggested by Dudley and klownschool are both good choices. I use them also along with Nagaoka round bottom inner sleeves. I know the hard plastic inner sleeves that the OP is referring to. I think WB used inner sleeves like those (they had WB logos on them) for a while in the late 70s and 80s. They won't damage or rub your records like hard paper or cardboard inner sleeves will.

Scott

The FRiNgE likes this.
  15. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

It does not matter what sleeve is used - whether the polyethylene types starting to come into vogue around 1980, or the traditional paper ones - it matters how you put them in & out of the sleeve. Its dust on the record that gets between a sleeve and record surface that causes scuffs when the two contact each other. I've never had scuffing problems with paper sleeves, you just have to put the record in right. And make sure they are clean inside - blow in them / hold upside down + tap gently - whatever. The problem with those poly or plastic sleeves is they had no support. They'd fold or scrunch / crinkle unless you were very careful inserting the record and inserting the sleeve back into the cover - that bunching up did the record no good. Personally I never had any trouble doing it 'right' but the average record owner? Disaster. Dust + crinkled inner = marks on the surface.

The FRiNgE likes this.
  16. russk

russk Forum Resident

Been using Mofi sleeves since the early 90s I think and never had a problem with them. My records stay in the condition they arrive in. In all the time the only problem I can remember seeing from after market record sleeves is molding and there was one in the late 90s I believe that would transfer print to the record.

17. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

Very true Raunchroll, I have never had scuffing issues from paper sleeves with proper record handling, but the audiophile sleeves do keep the records cleaner.

18. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

Many of my better records are stored in the VRP and Discwasher inners, slid in next to the paper original.

ti-triodes and The FRiNgE like this.
  19. Oggy

Oggy Forum Resident

Bought and used several thousand Nagaoka anti-static sleeves over the years, even replaced the supplied MFSL ones! Highly recommended, never scratched a record and - no static!!

20. DaverJ

DaverJ Forum Resident

21. Captain Wiggette

Captain Wiggette Forum Resident

I completely agree. I find the MOFI to be a PITA in comparison. Far too flimsy. The sleeve city ones are exceptional. My only quibble is that I wish the 1-sided ones had a hole cut in the paper, so I could see both sides of the label. I can't always remember what discs are A/B C/D versus A/D B/C style, so sometimes unnecessary fumbling for the right side.

But I would certainly NEVER go back to any kind of paper sleeve over a plastic sleeve like the diskeeper ones. Paper is awful, IMO.

22. Another alternative is the MA Recording sleeves. Expensive and a bit soft (floppy), but I love them. No danger of scuffing a record with these.

23. dominguez

dominguez Forum Resident

24. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.