Platinum SHM-CDs launched! (Disc 3)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stereoptic, Feb 7, 2014.

1. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

Argus, Dire Straits

PH416156 likes this.
  2. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

In my humble opinion, The Police's "Regatta De Blanc" and "Zenyatta Mondatta" sound very good. Reggata appears to be out of print now, however...

c-eling likes this.
  3. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

Agreed on Zenyatta but not Regatta - the A&M CD is better for that one, IMO.

Ulli likes this.
  4. toilet_doctor

toilet_doctor "Rockin' chair's got me"

These are "a must" (sound-wise), if you don't want to pay double or triple in a few years:

Van Der Graaf Generator - The Quiet Zone / The Pleasure Dome (this one is a killer), World Record
    Roxy Music - Avalon, For Your Pleasure
    Brien Ferry Bride Striped Bare, Boys and Girls
    Wishbone Ash - Argus
    Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells

Just tried my Pt Rainbow Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow for a first time. First impression is: it may not perfect, but Very Good sound, smoothing off the highs of SACD, which is Good one. Very pleased with it. Recommended. (Stay tune for more).

5. toilet_doctor

Blue Note Records Premium Mini LP Reissue Series Vol.2

March 23, 2016

Sonny Clark Cool Struttin
    Herbie Hancock Maiden Voyage
    Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers Moanin'
    Bud Powell The Scene Changes
    Lee Morgan Vol.3
    Lee Morgan Indeed!
    Joe Henderson Page One
    Kenny Dorham Afro-Cuban
    Freddie Hubbard Open Sesame
    Lou Donaldson Blues Walk

[Blue Note Records Premium Mini LP Reissue Series Vol.2] Cardboard sleeve reissue with Platinum SHM-CD format and 24-bit remastering. Comes with liner notes. This series features the product with the following product number: UCCU-40030 through UCCU-40039.

Translation:
    Cool Struttin '[Platinum SHM] [Limited Edition] / Sonny Clark
    Premium "paper Jacquet" reprint series - Blue Note Hen and second bullet] including the title track, which is loved Japanese, eternal bestseller jammed the melancholy melody in which the jazz fans captivated. Bluesy touch of Sonny Clark, too, such as the famous "leg jacket", Ketteiban all goes the highest standards. <Personnel> Sonny Clark (p), Art Farmer (tp), Jackie McLean (as), Paul Chambers (b), Philly Joe Jones (ds) ● Platinum SHM ● liner notes ● paper jacket ● 24bit remastering ● Record January 5, 1958

Maiden Voyage [Platinum SHM] [Limited Edition] / Herbie Hancock
    Masterpiece of [premium "paper Jacquet" reprint series - Blue Note Hen and second bullet] young contemporary masters Hancock left behind. "Sea" 60s masterpiece of jazz is the theme of innovative melodies and poetry full of harmony was beautifully harmonized. Comrade Ron Carter of the Miles Davis band, Tony Williams participation. <Personnel> Herbie Hancock (p), Freddie Hubbard (tp), George Coleman (ts), Ron Carter (b), Tony Williams (ds) ● Platinum SHM ● liner notes ● paper jacket ● 24bit remastered ● Record March 17, 1965

Moanin' [Platinum SHM] [Limited Edition] / Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers
    Premium "paper Jacquet" reprint series - Blue Note Hen and second bullet] name board that caused a funky boom all over the world with the title songs and popular songs of Blue Note icon number "Blues March". All members wage a performance full of hot air, but the shiny Among them, Lee Morgan of lush play. <Personnel> Art Blakey (ds), Lee Morgan (tp), Benny Golson (ts), Bobby Timmons (p), Jimmy Merritt (b) ● Platinum SHM ● liner notes ● paper jacket ● 24bit remastered ● Record October 30, 1959

The Scene Changes [Platinum SHM] [Limited Edition] / Bud Powell
    Premium "paper Jacquet" reprint series - Blue Note Hen and second bullet] Modern Jazz history one of the most popular songs, "Cleopatra's dream" name board of the piano trio, including. Medium-term Bud Powell glow of genius by the songs original. Blue Note the great have recorded "Di Amazing ~" series "final chapter of all five installment. <Personnel> Bud Powell (p), Paul Chambers (b), Art Taylor (ds) ● Platinum SHM ● liner notes ● paper jacket ● 24bit remastering ● 1958 年 12 月 29 日 Record

Lee Morgan Vol.3 [Platinum SHM] [Limited Edition] / Lee Morgan
    Premium "paper Jacquet" reprint series - Blue Note Hen and second bullet] shining large masterpiece of 18-year-old irresistible force that recorded the three leaders work in a few months. Senior fellow Philadelphia Benny Golson is fence arrangement the songs. Excitement of Meien which is dedicated to the late senior you died young, "Clifford of Memories" is must listen. <Personnel> Lee Morgan (tp), Gigi Grice (as), Benny Golson (ts), Wynton Kelly (p), Paul Chambers (b), Charlie Parsippany (ds) ● Platinum SHM ● liner Notes ● paper jacket ● 24bit remastering ● Record March 24, 1957

Indeed! [Platinum SHM] [Limited Edition] / Lee Morgan
    Premium "paper Jacquet" reprint series - Blue Note Hen and second bullet] dazzling trumpet of the first leader album prodigy is pervade the age of 18. Popular songs of Horace Silver's "Low-cost anti-armor submunition" and others, it shows off the dandyism of her bright young trumpeter. Participation of phantom alto player Clarence Sharp also valuable. <Personnel> Lee Morgan (tp), Clarence Sharp (as), Horace Silver (p), Wilbur Ware (b), Philly Joe Jones (ds) ● Platinum SHM ● liner notes ● paper jacket ● 24bit remastering ● Record November 4, 1956

Page One [Platinum SHM] [Limited Edition] / Joe HendersonPremium "paper Jacquet" reprint series - Blue Note Hen and second bullet] While standard-bearer become name Tenaman to commemorate the first leader album should be the new mainstream. It was recorded a large classic two songs of Kenny Dorham's "Recorda-Me" and "Blue Bossa" and self-made, initial quintet 3 continuous cropping of the largest plus Dorham. <Personnel> Joe Henderson (ts), Kenny Dorham (tp), McCoy Tyner (p), Butch Warren (b), Pete LaRoca (ds) ● Platinum SHM ● liner notes ● paper jacket ● 24bit remastered ● Record June 3, 1963

Afro-Cuban [Platinum SHM] [Limited Edition] / Kenny DorhamPremium "paper Jacquet" reprint series - Blue Note Hen and second bullet] popular board including "Afrodisia" that was enthusiastic club jazz scene. Featuring the name octet session plus Latin percussion. Also included the premiere of the classic "Miner's Holiday". <Personnel> Kenny Dorham (tp), JJ Johnson (tb), Hank Mobley (ts), Cecil Payne (bs), Horace Silver (p), Oscar Pettiford, Percy Heath (b), Art Blakey (ds), Carlos "Patato" Valdes (cga) ● Platinum SHM ● liner notes ● paper jacket ● 24bit remastering ● January 29, 1955, March 29 Record

Open Sesame [Platinum SHM] [Limited Edition] / Freddie HubbardPremium "paper Jacquet" reprint series - Blue Note Hen and second bullet] debut of young genius trumpeter to lead a new era. Tina Brooks, "True Blue" and the same front-line organization sister board of. The recording Tina classics "Open Sesame" and "Gypsy Blue". <Personnel> Freddie Hubbard (tp), Tina Brooks (ts), McCoy Tyner (p), Sam Jones (b), Clifford Jarvis (ds) ● Platinum SHM ● liner notes ● paper jacket ● 24bit Li mastering ● 1960 年 6 月 19 日 Record

Blues Walk [Platinum SHM] [Limited Edition] / Lou DonaldsonIt is a monumental work of Soul & funky routes alto player has left to represent the premium "paper Jacquet" reprint series - Blue Note Hen and second bullet] Blue Note, the popularity of leading, which is known by the title song was a big hit van. Conga player Ray Barrett a one-horn quintet plus in my unfolds the play of top form. <Personnel> Lou Donaldson (as), Herman Foster (p), Peck Morrison (b), Dave Bailey (ds), Ray Barrett (cga) ● Platinum SHM ● liner notes ● paper jacket ● 24bit Li Mastering ● Record July 28, 1958

Please any comment on music of Vol.2, guys.

6. toilet_doctor

Blue Note Records Premium Mini LP Reissue Series Vol.1

Feb. 10, 2016

Cannonball Adderley Somethin' Else
    John Coltrane Blue Train
    Hank Mobley Soul Station
    Sonny Clark Sonny Clark Trio
    Lee Morgan Candy
    Horace Parlan Us Three
    Sonny Rollins A Night at the Village Vanguard
    Kenny Burrell Midnight Blue
    Kenny Dorham Round About Midnight at the Cafe Bohemia
    Jutta Hipp Jutta Hipp with Zoot Sims

( Vol.1 will come in DU Promo Box with Blue Note logo).

Blue Note Records Premium Mini LP Reissue Series Vol.2

March 23, 2016

Sonny Clark Cool Struttin'
    Herbie Hancock Maiden Voyage
    Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers Moanin'
    Bud Powell The Scene Changes
    Lee Morgan Vol.3
    Lee Morgan Indeed!
    Joe Henderson Page One
    Kenny Dorham Afro-Cuban
    Freddie Hubbard Open Sesame
    Lou Donaldson Blues Walk

Comment:
    First Mini LP CD (reg.) Editions of the Blue Note titles with RVG 24-bit Remastering were released by EMI-Toshiba Japan in 1998-2004 and cost even now, after Pt SHM announcement, from $45 and up in brand new condition.

7. D.H.

D.H. Forum Resident

Anyone know about the Gentle Giant SHM-CD's? I'm tempted to buy Free Hand, but already got the Alucard remaster from 2005. Anyone compared these?

EDIT: Also, ELP's debut album on SHM-CD, compared to the 2004 remaster?

Last edited: Jan 27, 2016
  8. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

I read somewhere that the latest ELP SHM-CDs were the Steven Wilson remixes.

As for Free Hand, the 2005 remasters are probably the worst versions of these albums. I don't know what mastering the SHM-CD uses.

D.H. likes this.
  9. D.H.

D.H. Forum Resident

Cool regarding ELP!

Yeah, it's not that neat. Therefore I was hoping the SHM-CD of Free Hand is superior. On the other hand, I can get it at a bargain price.

10. moops

moops Senior Member

Going by the titles here, I have a feeling these will be mini-lp/Platinum releases of the Blue Note Masterworks SHM-CD campaign that ran from 2013 - 2015.

http://www.universal-music.co.jp/jazz/masterworks/cat/release201310

SOONERFAN and toilet_doctor like this.
  11. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Do you think these Blue Note platinum SHM discs will be using the earlier UMG remastering style of flat transfers? The Blue Note SHM-CDs that I have heard are IMHO quite poor; very compressed and using modern EQ. I certainly hope they're not those same mastering just on "platinum" discs.

12. moops

moops Senior Member

I would bet that there's a very, very good chance that these will be the BN Masterworks series on Platinum CD and in mini-lp format. I'm not going to tell you what you should and shouldn't like as that comes down to your ears and your system, however, I for one found that Blue Note Masterworks series fantastic. I bought a heap from this particular series and am quite content that I won't have to buy these titles on CD again, I'm done ! So, in other words you better not listen to me. :)

13. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

I'm comparing them to the HDTracks versions which sound like they have no compression. I have heard from some people that have done comparisons that there are a few SHM discs that are very similar to the HDTracks.

14. moops

moops Senior Member

Ok, no worries ....... here's some reading on the BN Masterworks SHM-CDs, quite a long thread though ........

http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php?/topic/74255-classic-blue-notes-on-shm-cd/

15. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

I'm on Organissimo. With all due respect to their members most of the regulars have quite different preferences from mine and "new toy syndrome/excitement" is quite prevalent there. Also a bias against this forum/host, ie people preferring the compressed SHM discs over the AP SACDs, which while mastered a bit quiet, are incredibly dynamic. It is a great forum for general jazz music discussion and information on new reissues/new jazz.

16. moops

moops Senior Member

Well, I have no idea about what you suggest but maybe they're not so hung up on what they should and shouldn't be liking according to " the forum " and if they happen to like a "compressed" CD ..... well, they just like it ? Maybe they feel it's unnecessary to put so many obstacles in the way of simply liking how a CD sounds.

mikaal likes this.
  17. D.H.

D.H. Forum Resident

Got the ELP debut album yesterday. It sounds fantastic! Lovely sound on that one.

Bumping my question from earlier in the thread. Anyone heard the GG SHM-CD's? I only have Playing the Fool on SHM-CD and it sounds really awesome. But I didn't have that one before that purchase, like the other GG albums. I'm particularly interested in getting the SHM-CD of Free Hand.

Also: how about the Thin Lizzy SHM-CD's? Jailbreak for example?

18. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

I'm not disagreeing with anything you said, I have no issue with what other people like or don't like. Everything in my previous post was all IMO and the type of sound I prefer. I'll just wait to see what mastering the new discs use.

moops likes this.
  19. toilet_doctor

Since first Alucard Free Hand Remaster was not good, they tried again in 2010. I don't have it, but learned from these reviews that it is better one:

"As for the mastering engineer Fred Kervorkian did what's called "selective band compression". Yeah, there is selective band compression applied but the album sounds surprisingly good and isn't brickwalled More importantly, detail and clarity are an improvement over previous editon of the album. There is limiting applied as well as some denoising (at the request of the band) but it isn't as obtrusive as I thought it would be. The best comparison I can think of is that this shares a lot of assets and drawbacks as The Beatles remasters.
    This edition does sound better than the DRT.
    Why no bonus tracks? I suspect it has to do with the fact that the GG label Alucard will be releasing these reissues on vinyl later this year (2010) and that the band wanted the CDs to reflect the original albums and the forthcoming reissues. "Free Hand" along with "In a Glass House" and "Octopus" represents GG at their finest.
    This reissue bests the DRT in terms of sound with much smoother e.q. choices. Recommended."
    -- Wayne Klein Feb. 2010

"This was always my favourite Gentle Giant album and this release is the third version I have bought.
    Here we have the strongest collection of songs they produced, there genuinely isn't a weak moment. This disk does have by far the best sound quality and the track that stood out for me with regard to cleaning up was 'His Last Voyage'. It's a great song but probably not the first I told friends about when I first heard the album. However on this version I felt like I was almost hearing it for the first time."
    -- from amazon.uk review

For 7th and 8th album GG moved to Chrysalis/EMI in 1975 and in 2011 they cut with them deal again on High-Rez UK Deluxe digipak (CD+DVD-A) release of these albums with new Remaster and use of Original Quad mix. I don't have it, but people said:

"It is interesting then that the band's seventh studio album, that I review here, 'Free Hand' was so named because it marked their debut with the Chrysalis label and suggested feelings amongst the band that this heralded a new era of freedom for them.
    'Free Hand' is possibly the band's most accessible album, if you are new to Gentle Giant start here and follow with 'In A Glass House' and 'The Power And The Glory'. I am choosing to review this album now because as well as being a lifelong fan of the band, I am also very fond of surround sound and the latest re-mastered version of this album comes with a DVD which includes a 4.1 mix adapted from the original quad mixes.
    The fact that quad mixes were done at all suggests to me that the estimated sales for the album were aligned to the viability of a quadrophonic release. So maybe the band's newly found independence still failed to generate the required publicity to achieve such sales....

... So after all these years, what do these adapted quad mixes sound like on DVD ??? The 4.1 format means that we have no centre channel. More disappointingly for me is the fact that the mixes are only offered in DTS 96/24 or Dolby Digital 48/24, both of these are of course lossy formats. For my review I listened in the DTS format. My surround system is movie-oriented but acceptable for music listening too (Oppo BDP-83 into a Sony STR-DA2400 through Q Acoustics 2000 speakers)...

... I soon found myself totally immersed in a sea of sound. This is what I call surround sound !! The start of the initially dreamy instrumental section enhanced the surround effect even more and provided an enlightened listening experience for me. On the sleeve notes Ray Shulman states 'It's good to see that we were really quite adventurous with the placements in the sound field'. Yes, the surround mix here provides far more than extra ambiance and yet it sounds natural and never artificial...

... Listening to the whole album in quad for the first time has been a memorable and joyful experience for me. The depth of enjoyment of the music actually bringing a flush to my face exactly as it did when I first heard the album all those years ago.
    Under forty minutes in duration, the album is brief by today's standards but obviously we are looking at quality rather than quantity here . This CD/DVD set is very nicely packaged with some interesting comments from the band in the booklet.
    My only bugbear with this release is that the 4.1 mix is not in a lossless format. I'd love to see a blu-ray release with the quad mix available in DTS HD-Master Audio, the music deserves such presentation. Whilst I am thrilled to have the quad mix at all, it can sound slightly compressed and a lossless version would give the music more room to breathe to enhance and open the atmosphere even further. The limitations are all the more apparent if you compare this with Tull's Aqualung on blu-ray. With Aqualung you could actually believe you are in the studio listening to the original master tapes albeit the (retrospective) surround mix is far less immersive...
    In summary if you are a GG fan and you have a surround sound system, ensure you buy this release, it really is essential...and if you've not heard GG before it's a great place to get to know them, general fans of adventurous rock music and fans of surround sound need look no further."
    -- from amazon.uk review

"I am new to Gentle Giant but when EMI Chrysalis, decided to re-issue this with a Vintage Quad Mix I was in I am a sucker for that kind of thing.
    The music is complex Prog style music hints of Genesis maybe a bit of King Crimson but pretty much not like anything I have heard before so great news, I may at sometime have to deep dive the catalogue.
    Highlights for me last three songs 'His last Voyage', 'Talybont' and 'Mobile'
    The issue comes with a standard CD and a DVD with Dolby Digital (why?) and DTS96/24 4.1 mix of the album which sound great and are very discrete, and a flat 96/24 LPCM (Playable on any DVD player) stereo copy of the original stereo LP master, an excellent reproduction and probably the best it will sound digitally." -- from amazon.uk review
    There are no bonus tracks on this which is a bit disappointing but for the price this is a steel for any 'prog' fan and fan of Hi rez music." -- from amazon.uk review

I have Japanese SHM limited pressing of this release, where both albums in Mini LP came in Free Hand DU Promo Box.
    The back of the cover states:

All Tracks originally released in 1975. Disc one digital remasters 2011. Copyright of these sound recordings is owned by Chrysalis Records Ltd. Disc two digital remasters 2012. Copyright of these sound recordings is owned by Chrysalis Records Ltd.

Who did this 2011 remaster? There is plenty info in booklet in Japanese... Only two words in English popped-up Junichi Yamada - probably the guy, who responsible for the sound of Japanese release.
    No extra tracks - It looks like 2010 Alucard remaster. If this is 2010 Alucard remaster, why did they say 2011? And why did Chrysalis/EMI own it?

As for the sound, I can comment only on Stereo versions. SHM sounds Very Good: well balanced and warm with excellent bass. If would be more clear trebles and a bit more dynamics, I could place it into Outstanding section.
    Disc two sounds even better - smoother sound overall. I am very happy with this release, which is long OOP and runs for $79 and up. Album full of multilayered vocal harmonies - I can only imagine how good it can be in Quad. I think it is the best digital version, so far.

I said "so far" not as a figure of speech. In 2014 Warner Japan made such an announcement:

"Cardboard sleeve reissue from Gentle Giant features the remastering in 2014 and the high-fidelity SHM-CD format (compatible with standard CD players). The cover faithfully replicates the original UK LP artwork. Includes an obi featuring design of original Japanese limited edition's LP (subject to change). Comes with a description and lyrics. Part of six-album Gentle Giant cardboard sleeve reissue series features the albums, "Free Hand +8," "Interview +8," "Playing The Fool," "The Missing Piece +5," "Giant For A Day! +7," and "Civilian +7."

It was very serious announcement. Warner provided the list of Bonus tracks, they supposedly were working on. Release was almost done, when Warner canceled it. Disk Union even made Playing the Fool boxes for it. And Warner offered one box with purchase of any 5 SHM CDs from 1300 Prog series. I think it's some legal issue with EMI is going on.

ti-triodes and D.H. like this.
  20. D.H.

D.H. Forum Resident

Wow! Thanks for that! :) Sounds as if the SHM-CD of Free Hand is a good choice then. The one I'm planning on ordering is released in 2015, on Chrysalis. WPCR-16291.

21. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

But have they filled out their equipment profiles?

22. moops

moops Senior Member

No idea Keith ..... these days, I couldn't care less as to who states what sounds good and what doesn't and what their equipment profile is.
    I buy the item and decide for myself ....... never been happier. :thumbsup:

dennis the menace likes this.
  23. toilet_doctor

No, don't do it. I just checked it out. It's Chrysalis, but old master. There is P[&]C in the circles with 1975, but it supposed to be P C 2012.
    I'd recommend UK 2012 release instead.

2012 GG release was EMI Japan swan song. EMI Japan asked EMI headquarter to OK Pink Floyd new Remaster Mini LP release. No way - EMI completely abandoned their Japan Division (they're still pressing Classical titles, thou) and, in 2013, hooked up with Uni Japan for the Mini LP releases and with Warner Japan for the Jewel cases ones, providing them with old mastering. And only involvement in Platinum Series convinced EMI to agree on quick Flat Transfer, starting with U.K. release.

EMI stopped 2014 GG Mini LP release - they may planning on Pt minis in near future in the In'terview box (?). It could be in 2017 - 5 years after DVD-A release.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2016
    D.H. likes this.
  24. dennis the menace

dennis the menace Forum Veteran

Words from the wise.

25. zappaien

zappaien Forum Resident

So ! Eventually interested for blue train and somethin else in platinum shm premium série vol 1
    For those who listened those titles can you confirm that they re the good mastering/version ? Mini lp style drag me

toilet_doctor likes this.