Platinum SHM-CDs launched! (Disc 3)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stereoptic, Feb 7, 2014.

1. toilet_doctor

toilet_doctor "Rockin' chair's got me"

Premium Platinum Mini LP SHM-CD Jazz reissue:

Blue Note Records Series Vol.1

Feb. 10, 2016

Cannonball Adderley Somethin' Else
    John Coltrane Blue Train
    Hank Mobley Soul Station
    Sonny Clark Sonny Clark Trio
    Lee Morgan Candy
    Horace Parlan Us Three
    Sonny Rollins A Night at the Village Vanguard
    Kenny Burrell Midnight Blue
    Kenny Dorham Round About Midnight at the Cafe Bohemia
    Jutta Hipp Jutta Hipp with Zoot Sims

Blue Note Records Series Vol.2

March 23, 2016

Sonny Clark Cool Struttin'
    Herbie Hancock Maiden Voyage
    Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers Moanin'
    Bud Powell The Scene Changes
    Lee Morgan Vol.3
    Lee Morgan Indeed!
    Joe Henderson Page One
    Kenny Dorham Afro-Cuban
    Freddie Hubbard Open Sesame
    Lou Donaldson Blues Walk

Prestige Records Series

May 25, 2016

Sonny Rollins Soxophone Colossus
    Red Garland Groovy
    Miles Davis Cooking with the Miles Davis Quintet
    John Coltrane Soultrain
    Kenny Dorhman Quiet Kenny
    Miles Davis Relaxin' with the Miles Davis Quintet
    Eric Dolphy At The Five Spot [Vol.1 Live]
    Jackie McLean 4, 5 & 6

Riverside Records Series

July 27, 2016

Bill Evans Waltz For Debbie
    Bill Evans Portrait In Jazz
    Wes Montgomery Full House
    Bill Evans Sunday At The Village Vanguard
    Wynton Kelly Kelly Blue
    Bill Evans Explorations
    Thelonious Monk Brilliant Corners
    Blue Mitchell Blue's Mood
    Johnny Griffin The Kerry Dancers
    Kenny Drew Kenny Drew Trio

2. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

A few of the Bill Evans titles list Scott Ruffalo as the bass player. It should be Scott LaFaro. Maybe lost in translation ;).

Bill

toilet_doctor likes this.
  3. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

Interesting that they're extending the mono series to Riverside. Some mono-only recordings (Brilliant Corners, Kenny Drew Trio), some dedicated mono mixes that have never appeared on CD before (Portrait in Jazz and maybe Blue's Mood), and some fold-downs (Waltz for Debby, Sunday at the Village Vanguard and possibly Explorations). There was no conclusive work done to assemble a definitive list of dedicated vs. fold-down mono mixes done for Riverside, but our host confirmed that Riverside stopped doing dedicated mono mixes around 1959/1960, most after that being fold-downs. Aural evidence suggests that as well.

toilet_doctor, sound_mind and hvbias like this.
  4. sound_mind

sound_mind Well-Known Member

It's a real shame that Universal has discontinued the SACDs in favour of these Platinum SHMs.I can understand why they fetch such a high price.

rstamberg likes this.
  5. sound_mind

sound_mind Well-Known Member

Maybe Contemporary and Verve titles next?

6. toilet_doctor

This fricking translator always enjoyed to put words in the wrong order. Now he began to do the same with the letters. I wonder what will be his next move.

7. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

Or maybe Scott Ruffalo is just how you pronounce Scott LaFaro in Japanese.

8. Time Is On My Side

Time Is On My Side Forum Resident

Are they all done doing rock albums?

9. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

I have just got my 7 inch platinum cd/dvd of the 8 King Crimson albums. I could only find one dealer on ebay with them. They look wonderful but I expect them to sound exactly like the cd/dvd discs released in the last few years. They are 8 albums I'm very fond of so was willing to fork out the money.

10. toilet_doctor

Please give us your impression.

P.S.
    If you like 7" Mini LP CDs, you may consider new Sony 7'' Mini LP SACD:
    "World's first SACD hybrid multi-ch x mini LP edition of "Beck, Bogert & Appice" is released from SONY Japan on July 20, 2016.

SACD hybrid multi-ch edition of "Beck, Bogert & Appice." The disc is divided in three layers as follows: SACD (5.1ch), SACD (2ch), and CD. The CD features 2 mix mastering, using 4ch master, for the first time. Digitally remastered. 7-inch cardboard sleeve packaging."
    Translation:
    "Beck Bogart & Appice -SACD multi-hybrid Edition - [Limited Edition] / Beck Bogart & Appice
    72 years disbanded the Jeff Beck Group, once finally achieved unprecedented power trio consisting of Tim Bogert of the original Vanilla Fudge - Cactus that was up to the idea of Beck (B) and Carmine Appice (Dr) . Style of Beck guitar facing the rhythm section, which boasts an overwhelming technique, just rock world of the dream band. "Lady" and "There's Something About You", S. Overwhelmed by muscular sound groovy to burst like Wonder's "Superstition". This work is what the world's first appearance "SACD multi-hybrid board" (= SACD5.1ch, SACD2ch, CD) + "7-Inch Paper jacket". 5.1 Surround, and version-up to 5.1ch from hybrid board as well 4.0ch of an analog-to-master and digital remastered "Blow-by-Blow" of 4ch board that appeared in the early '70s (quadraphonic), stereo board and can enjoy the surround mix of astonishment of different dimension (as if each ch panned to the vividness of the musical instrument is listening to like live music in front of the eyes!). CD layer also adopted the first master of the 4ch master to 2mix, more dry live feeling is increased, it has become a very natural sound image. ■ Limited Edition / hybrid CD / 7-Inch Paper jacket / digital remastering"

old school likes this.
  11. old school

old school Senior Member

Is the Sony Hybrid 3 layer disc replacing the SHM-SACD Doctor? Are there going to be more rock titles on this new format?

12. toilet_doctor

"Sacred place cannot be empty". - people's wisdom

No-no, old school. It's rather second CD 7'' Mini LP 3-layer Hybrid SACD in the careful experiment and slow probing the market. First one was released on March 26:

"Blow-by-Blow - SA-CD multi-hybrid Edition - [Limited Edition] / Jeff Beck
    Rock super-name board of the SACD multi-hybrid board appeared! Japan Anniversary Edition! 1 year from BBA dissolution. First solo work, which was announced in 75 years, the US 4th guitar instrumental of the monument, which was successful all over the world like to record. Welcomed George Martin to the producer, it until there is no jazz-rock approach to the phantasmagoric Kirekire techniques, ultra-name board, which arrived in the frontier of unexplored by music of Tsubuzoroi. A subsequent "crossover" "fusion masterpiece of representative Sakuchu of Beck also has been described as a pioneer of". This work, to commemorate the visit to Japan performance for the first time in four years, Japan's first appearance to become "SACD multi-hybrid board" (= SACD 3-layer structure of 5.1ch / SACD 2ch / CD) + BBA "Made in Japan -40 anniversary Edition - stole the show in the "unique to Japan" 7-inch paper Jacquet "specification. In particular SACD 5.1 ch sound is, ever has been remixed for SACD 5.1ch the launch has been 4ch mix limited to analog LP era, the name board in the usual 2ch stereo and Hama entirely different dimension of the surround mix You can listen to, and even listen as a normal CD. Stuff of fan coveted such as the UK used board is expensive and trading for many years is finally here! In Japan own luxury specification ★ Limited Edition / Japan Anniversary Edition / hybrid CD / 7-Inch Paper Jacquet / Original Release Date: 1975 Year"
    Review:
    "5 stars. This is the best surround sound recording I have ever bought so far. The packaging itself it worth the price of admission. The recording is just superb and extremely smooth and clean. You will find that Jeff Beck's guitar is at the rear of the speakers. The bass is clean and smooth. The only thing that I find it annoying is that the sticky glue on the plastic sleeve tends to cling on to the CD cover or OBI each time I open the cardboard sleeve to remove the CD. Thank God the print on the cardboard sleeve and OBI did not peel unlike some cheap printing materials. So now that you know to be aware of this issue."
    I think will be more titles - people like 7" Mini and they are hungry for new releases. (Let's see).

Uni went Jewel case Hybrid SACD now. (Looks like they used Flat Transfer for the reg. albums, not a compilations.):

Universal and Sony Hong Kong SACD, K2 HDCD, UltraHD CD Series »

Last edited: Jun 4, 2016
    old school likes this.
  13. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

I am playing Lou Donaldson Blues Walk Mono Platinum SHM-CD this morning loud. It has amazing presence and beautiful timbres. Noce remastering job, and can be played even louder with no fatigue whatsover. Need to get the remaining six discs of these BN series before it is too late.

14. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Right on! I went broke buying all the Blue Note titles. . . but. . . . They all sound wonderful.

15. Jontario

Jontario Member

Could someone confirm for me that all these above titles are strictly mono, or is it just the Blue Note Series.?

CD Japan on some titles, when you look at the track listings, they specifically say mono on them, and some don't. Just want to be sure.

Thanks!

16. toilet_doctor

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It states 'Mono' on the OBI (front and back twice) and it sounds like Mono too, so I assume it is Mono.

Please read my review Post #1176 and more Post #1178 Page 48.

sound_mind, crispi, Jontario and 2 others like this.
  17. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I have bought many of the Blue Note mini-LP discs released this year, and every one I have listened to thus far sounds great. The packaging is also first-rate.

RiRiIII likes this.
  18. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Are those your pictures? I'm wondering how one gets those boxes, as I did not see them available through CD Japan. Mini-LP sleeve boxes are often very expensive, but I would be willing to buy the ones pictured above if they are reasonably priced.

19. toilet_doctor

They are hawaii-cyber DU box set dealer's pictures from eBay.

I do have plenty of Japan Promo boxes I bought from eBay. They are highly collectable pieces of Art themselves. What did I do to get them. I put in a search: Japan Mini LP CD box and I saved this search. (They've changed it to 'follow this search'). Every day I received new arrivals email. So, I bought what I need, but latter I saw them way cheaper, sometimes twice.

I would follow two searches: Blue Note Japan Mini LP Box and Prestige Japan Mini LP Box. Usually sushi-sashimi lists them in a couple months after release or so. I even got empty wooden Mini LP DU Beatles box from him.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    P.S. Don't buy from China.

20. Time Is On My Side

I'd like to see them do more rock titles.

21. Jontario

Jontario Member

Thanks! Looks like there all about mono for sure.:)

22. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

Gee they do about 2 % Jazz and you complain wanting more Rock? that's all they do nowadays ,look at HMV Its just a shame they just do the same titles they did a thousand times before,

23. swintonlion

swintonlion Forum Resident

Lets have more of all cds be it jazz,rock classical.Every one put in you ideas maybe someone will be listening and we get some more releases.Some of my ideas,how about some Sting ,Traffic,Sade and Kate Bush for starters and maybe a Jethro Tull cd , every one to there own taste thats what is all about.

24. Time Is On My Side

I'm just in it for the mastering (SHM). I'd like to see more of everything - on SACD and Platinum CD.

haastilecreation likes this.
  25. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I'd love to see Yusef Lateef's Impulse and Saoy titles on Platinum SHM-CD, starting with those that have not yet been on cd in USA.