Playback Designs MPS-5 SACD Hardware Upgrade for 5-Series Products

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Stump, May 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stump

Stump Forum Resident Thread Starter

Has anyone here had the Playback Designs MPS-5 SACD Hardware Upgrade for 5-Series Products? Or have heard the results of this upgrade?
    Cheers Stump

Upgrade

This hardware upgrade replaces most of the clock generator circuitry on the digital board of the MPS-5 and MPD-5 products with new technology that offers much improved clock jitter performance. When combined with a software upgrade to version 027 or newer it will offer dramatic improvements in sonic performance, sound stage accuracy, and bass and high frequency consistency.

2. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Go for it?

Andreas is such a pleasant and patient guy. Certainly hope PBD customers are upgrading their MPS-5 or maybe going for the new Dream Series!

3. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Six Years ago

^Enjoyed my Cary for 6 years.

The MPS-5 wasn't realistic for me back then. Fortunately, the FPGA algorithm updates and some hardware upgrades have kept Koch's flagship (until "Dream" arrives soon!) relevant. Production was halted a couple years only because Esoteric stopped supplying the transport mechanism. I went for it.

This SACD player is very well constructed. Even the remote is nice! The sound is simply amazing. Anyone considering PS Audio would be wise to consider a used MPS-5 and upgrading the word clock and power supply. Add USB-XIII (ver. 3) for streaming.

PhantomStranger likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.