Please give me some advice. I'm a simpleton

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by dougraynes123, Aug 6, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dougraynes123

dougraynes123 Member Thread Starter

I have an old NAD c370 amp that I LOVE but has gone compute. They say the "main think tank" is shot and want 300 to rebuild. It drove old advent speaker floors in one small room and kef book speakers in another smal room. Can u help me what to purchase to repace my beloved 1992 c370 for 2 ch. at a price of 300-1000. I'm not a serious audiophile so thus the question. I bought a audioengine Bluetooth receive so I don't need DAc. I do have my old NAD CD player still working. Advise would be much appreciated.

SirAngus likes this.
  2. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

Greetings and welcome! BTW I grew up in Spring Branch (1958-78) but have been in California since 1980 (after a 2 year stopover in Waco (TSTI now TSTC, excellent tech school).

What speakers do you want to drive? That NAD was certainly a good one for the price, $700 list apparently (in 2002, which is about $1000 in 2020 dollars), and a powerhouse. NAD C370 integrated amplifier ... SO seems 'logical' that maybe spending $1000 today might get you something as good? Hopefully!

I can't say whether $300 to fix the NAD is a good investment ... but it lasted you many decades, and maybe it's time for something different/new? but if you LOVE it as much as you do maybe it's fine to get it rebuilt!

I can't say it's the same, better, or (hopefully not) worse sounding, but NAD C 368 Stereo integrated amplifier with built-in DAC and Bluetooth® at Crutchfield has the "same" list price anyway. It does have BT and a DAC though ... not sure what all integrated amps these days do or don't have those things.

Not to say any of these are 'just the ticket' but maybe they are Integrated Amplifiers, Integrated Stereo Amps ... have read many good things about the Yamaha A-S801, there's some folks on here that have them. Marantz and Denon are (or used to be) "stable mates" and I think are well known for their smooth detailed and musical sound. I have owned both as AVRs and enjoyed them. SO one of these might be a good choice. I don't know anything about the Arcam units here, but did read about someone on the forum getting one recently and I think he liked it. Cambridge is also well known ... I have and use one of their CD Player / DACs.

Crutchfield is well known as a 'mail order' online store, I've bought several items from them over the years, never had problems. I look for open box, factory refurbished, or even 'scratch and dent' bargains. I tend to not buy used, but of course that's an option as well. Lately I've been turned onto 'Safe and Sound' Search Results

Of course there are other places to buy, I can't tell you what/where to do so, but there seem to be a lot of choices in your price range. I've looked at the higher end but for $300 new I'd guess you could get something but it wouldn't be the same quality as your old amp. Integrated Amplifiers, Integrated Stereo Amps shows a few ... Search Results has some open box and refurbished units, which I would tend to look at as well. I've had really good 'luck' with factory refurb units, just be sure to buy from an authorized dealer (these folks are) so you get an actual warranty. Most times these come with full warranty as if you bought them new. Audio Advisor is another store I've dealt with many times over the decades with excellent results.

dougraynes123 likes this.
  3. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I wouldn't spend $300 on that old an amp unless that is your max budget. There are plenty amps less the $1000 that will likely outperform the NAD providing you don't have really inefficient speakers and a large room . Check out Audiolab 6000A if you want bells and whistles or MF M2si for just a reasonably powerful affordable amp (both are around £600 in UK).

4. formbypc

formbypc Forum Resident

Can you find a "spares or repair" NAD C370 on eBay, Craigslist or similar with a different fault to yours, and transplant components from that to your one to effect a repair?

Sounds like your repairman knows what's what, and is up to the task...

5. Tim Irvine

Tim Irvine Forum Resident

I'd make the shift to a Yamaha integrated that had the features I needed (and, as is often the case with Yamaha, often some features I did not think I needed).

6. E.Baba

E.Baba Forum Resident

I used to run something like it. Integrated and power amp versions.

It will prob be the main caps by the sound of it.

I had mine repaired. I tend to do that.

If you love it that much ......

7. eltigreferoz

eltigreferoz Forum Resident

You could find another NAD C370. There are many hifi shops online with good used gear, or eBay or usaudiomart; if you're patient, one will eventually come around.

However, if you love the amp, and trust your repairman, I would get your unit serviced. 300 is a pretty decent price for a good re-cap (which I assume this is) and servicing.

TEA FOR ONE, E.Baba and sturgus like this.
  8. dougraynes123

Thanks. I'll check into your amp suggestions. I'm thinking about a rega IO for 600 bucks thoughts? It breaks my heart to trash my nad c370 I've used everyday for 30 years but if I can get something new for 200 more bucks then the repair costs then it might be wiser.

9. dougraynes123

Thanks for reply. I'm going to pick up my NAD and take my time shopping around for a new amp. I'll also look around on eBay for the replacement part in the meantime. I really would like to keep my NAD but can't justify 300 bucks when I can by something new for around 700 bucks. The repair said NAD stopped making the part it needs tho.

eltigreferoz and Floyd Crazy like this.
  10. dougraynes123

Thanks for replies. I'm going to pay my repair man the service fee of 75 and take my belovedNAD c370 home and spend some time thinking about a replacement. I'm also going to go talk to another repair person and ask for advise now that I know the problem.

I've been thinking about the rega IO for 600. It's hard to justify 300 to be rebuilt because he says NAD stopped making the part needed for this model.

11. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

You live in a large city (albeit, one with a lot of epidemic-motivated small business woes), so you at least have options for auditioning other equipment. You're gonna have to kiss a lot of toads, though...
    I'd say, since you've got years of listening under your belt, you would have that sound in your head to compare with. 21st-Century tech may just surprise you, and give you a reason to adapt.

12. dougraynes123

True. I'm considering adapting. But to what level? I just splurged on an audioengine b1 Bluetooth dac receiver so I can enjoy my old speakers that I love with Spotify. I also have my NAD CD and tuner player and have 100's of cds I refuse to give up maybe I'm now an old timer. I guess the question is is a new integrated amp at 500-1000 better then my tryed and true C370 I can keep at 300. Yes I can go listen to a myriad of high end stuff in htown but not so much the cheaper stuff. Maybe it's just a personal decision. But are new amps really that much better then vintage if I put a new dac on my old amp.

13. Dillydipper

Well, duh - it's always a personal decision! :agree:

Investing is also the same way. Many long-term investors still cling to sentimental methods of choosing what to do next, based on their appreciation for the advice that made them an amount of success throughout the process. However, in times of economic change, we see people being faced with the fear of continuing to take that advice ("stay the course"), or - god help you - learning a whole new paradigm of thinking, after you've become comfortable following the path you've done for so long, that falling into a hole up ahead seems counter-intuitive.

In other words, most people are too stuck in their way to just take their heads out of the ostrich hole, look around, and see the new date on the calendar. After an economic downturn, you have to look at your portfolio, do some triage, and work forwards on that from the position you are in that moment...in the world you are in at that point!

14. dougraynes123

Haha. Well I appreciate your analogy to picking stocks...thinking new. But think of this literal analogy. I chose to purchase a historic home (1880) in the downtown area of Houston. I bought it 20 years ago and have found it was constructed of much higher quality materials and construction thought. It also has appreciated at an expedential rate compared to the rate of return of a new home out in the burbs. It's true. It's all subjective I guess. But maybe a stereo can't be compared to an old house. I guess it's time to upgrade to 2020.

Floyd Crazy likes this.
  15. Dillydipper

The "old house" is the product...the machine that creates the music, is not the "product", the music should be. ;)

16. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

Rega products are great. If you're considering using a turntable at some point,
    the IO has a good phono stage. Nice little package, i've been happy with my Brio
    in my second system, but would like to have a headphone jack like the IO does.

17. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

I have purchased factory refurbished stuff from Accessories4less. They have several well known brands and models of integrated amp there now in your budget.

patient_ot likes this.
  18. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Rega IO is new and I know little about it but it is low powered in comparison to models I have mentioned with limited inputs. Generally the sound of these is more to my preference than Rega amps in general. I think the MF might be nearest to the NAD sound.

19. dougraynes123

I looked into the MF m2si as u suggested. They seemed like exactly what I want. They are minimalist but u can add on premium upgrades when i can afford them. BUT you can't find them anymore. I think they stopped making them. So what used to cost 6OO is now now only found on amazon for 1500. They have great reviews. But it seems supply demand has doubled the price.

20. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

If it were my money I would buy the best Yamaha AS series integrated you can afford and call it a day. Accessories 4 Less has factory refurbs if you want to save a few bucks. Read the fine print and return policy no matter what you buy and where you buy it.

21. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

MF was acquired by Pro-Ject - all the old stuff is discontinued backstock being liquidated at sale prices. Pro-Ject will introduce new stuff under the name if they haven't already but it will be different. I wouldn't bank on upgrades for old stuff under the previous ownership being available going forward.

22. drh

drh Talking Machine

I know nothing about this seller, but....

NAD C370 Amplifier with NAD 3020 Audiophile Phono Modification. One of a kind! | eBay

23. dougraynes123

That's my exact amp. Thanks.

24. dougraynes123

I've decided to pay the 300 bucks to refurbish my NAD. I will plug in my new audioengine b1 Bluetooth and use my advent floor speakers in my small living room and use Spotify. I will purchase a rega io for my refurbed badass kef bookstand speakeakers for my small bedroom that i can open a window and play into my back yard. I learned from this forum I can rip all my cds to my iphone/iPad and will get rid of my CD player. I don't know if I can connect my my Bluetooth to my bed room 30 ft away. I'll figure it all out. I'm trying to figure out all this 21st stuff out. Like I said I'm a simpleton.

25. DryWhiteToast

DryWhiteToast Where's my Ativan

Just saw this and good for you!
    I have a NAD 356BEE and it is really solid and just think...you save the earth. You aren't trashing something.
    NAD is damn good and I think you made a wise choice.
    All the best.

alan967tiger and Tim Irvine like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.