Please help me spend $1000 - $1500

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by 4140, Oct 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chuck rodgers

chuck rodgers Forum Resident

Lots of good info, my head is spinning and it's not even my money. A thought, if you do up grade your turntable your present set up has some good value and will give you an even bigger budget. Lot's of fun options, always hard to part with old friends. (equipment)

2. Upinsmoke

Upinsmoke Well-Known Member

There is a pair of harbeth p3s on agon for 1275 asking price. Upgrading you speakers to a pair like this will give you a pretty much unbeatable upgrade in sound quality. Your cartridge and your speakers are by far going to give you the biggest bang for your buck.

3. 4140

4140 Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Great, thanks for the input.

4. 4140

Hi, yeah- when I was using the preamp I would bounce between 30.5k and36.1. Both had their benefits.

There is unquestionably an edge to my system's sound. I never considered that it would be due to the Pioneer; somehow I unthinkingly equated 70s gear with a mellow sound. I guess I've been blaming the ATs for that quality, but maybe they are just exacerbating the situation. Really good info, thanks.

5. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

You want "mellow sound"? TUBES.

6. 4140

Ok, I think I follow- will still need to read up a bit. Thanks.

7. 4140

Cool, thank you- I'll do a bit of reading on those.

8. 4140

I'll look into those, thanks.

9. 4140

Good thoughts- thanks.

10. 4140

Ok, thanks for the vote and suggestion.

11. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

You're quite welcome. I haven't been able to find anything (yet, haven't looked a lot) talking about the SX-828 or other Pioneers like it, WRT sound quality (let alone resolution, soundstaging, imaging, depth, etc.). For looks, coolness factor, nostalgia etc. it's certainly off the charts!

IF it's possible, see if you can borrow a modern integrated or separates to try for a couple days or weeks in place of the SX-828. Maybe a local 'audio society'? Seems like a large city like Minneapolis may have such a group. I still can't help thinking that the receiver may be the 'weakest link' at the moment.

Cables? I have had better 'outcome' from changing speaker cables over ICs, but think they make a small difference too. I agree that below a certain system cost/quality (but certainly lower than $10k - my system was about ??? $4k or something when I got the Oval 9s) they aren't that important, but certainly with the Rogue Sphinx in your system, I bet they'd be a noticeable improvement. Again, the specific ones would depend on what your preferred 'flavor' may be. I know the Oval 9s are seemingly 'neutral' but with strong tight bass and high resolution. Kimber 4TC or 8TC? Cardas? I KNOW at a certain level getting something better than generic zip cord makes a small but I believe important difference. Not that small, actually, in my case!

Seems like the speakers are high enough resolution to show you differences in 'upstream' components and cables. If you're now satisfied with the basic/overall sound, maybe keeping the receiver and upgrading other things makes sense ... it's really hard to say!

So ... good luck! It's always going to be a battle trying to figure out what to do ... same here!

12. 4140

13. 4140

Thanks for the input. I'm unfamiliar with the Prima Lunas, but they sure look sweet- I'll do some reading.

Synthfreek likes this.
  14. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

I think your turntable is fine as is. $1000-1500 will not bring you that much more satisfaction. Lateral change. Vintage Klipsch Heresy speakers subbing for my Focal suggestion would also crush.

15. 4140

Yeah, I'm spinning a little here myself- ton of good ideas to sift through. Good point about being able to fold the proceeds from my current system into the budget for the new. I guess I'll need to think about where I might sell the stuff. Thanks-

16. 4140

Thanks for the reply. It seems a number of people are pointing toward the speakers as the thing to focus on. I'll look into those Harbeths, for sure.

17. 4140

Yeah, tubes may be the answer. I don't know that I want mellow sound, though I would definitely not miss the little sense of harshness I get in the treble. Mellow, but detailed? That sounds pretty nice.

18. ddarch

ddarch Senior Member

djost likes this.
  19. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

I can't help myself, I'll say it for the last time - Rogue Sphinx! Later, get some new production Genalex Gold Lion 12AU7s for the preamp section. https://tubedepot.com/products/genalex-gold-lion-b749-ecc82-12au7-preamp-vacuum-tube

Use the Pioneer with some vintage speakers in a second system ...! best of both worlds! I'll shut up now !!! :D

20. 4140

Hey - thanks for the additional info. I've been looking over the Rogue Sphinx during breaks from work, and I'm seriously considering it now. I have some mulling to do...

Rick58 likes this.
  21. 4140

I was a little concerned moving to a lower-end SOTA would be just that - somewhat of a lateral move. I'm glad I talked with you guys. I like the looks of those Heresys ... thanks again.

22. 4140

Thanks - very nice video. Though I may not be going with a new turntable this go around, when I eventually do I'll certainly visit vinylnirvana.

ddarch likes this.
  23. 4140

Ha! I think you're right, though - the Sphinx really seems like a smart move.

24. brooklyn

brooklyn I'm all ears

I see a lot of forum members are suggesting new speakers. I don’t know if you have
    the room or amp power but I own a pair of Magnepan MMG’s speakers, they are flat
    panels that sound amazing. A pair of MMG’s will set you back $600.00 which would
    leave you some cash for other neat stuff and they are made in the USA at
    White Bear Lake, MN 55110.

Good luck with your new purchase which ever you decide.

25. beppe

beppe Forum Resident

If I were you I'll buy tower used speakers, top of the line at their time AND old. No One of new cheap speakers can compare. And bigger than possible. Small speakers, small sound (I don't mean pressure/volume)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.