Please recommend some great sounding SACD's?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Todd Fredericks, May 30, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member Thread Starter

I was a naughty boy last night. I brought the Sony SCD-CE775 SACD/CD/blah, blah, blah changer at Circuit City for $179 (it's being discontinued and it's now considered a "snooze looze" bargain). I've read a lot about this changer on the net and thought "Why not?". It's supposed to be a pretty good bang for the buck. I've hated my current CD playback stuff and was planning on waiting for the fall but this should be enjoyable until I decide on a good single player some time in the future (with a bigger budget). I picked up the SACD (S-Cad) of 'Blonde on Blonde' and really enjoyed it (I've read that the player needs more than 100 hours of break-in time to start opening up). So, what are some other great titles (rock, jazz) with great mastering (of course)?

Thanks,
    Todd

2. GoldenBoy

GoldenBoy Purple People Eater

Well, Willie Nelson 'Stardust' is good. Miles Davis 'Kind of Blue' (multichannel) and Thelonius Monk 'Straight No Chaser' are good as well, if you like Jazz. Indigo Girls' new one 'Become You' (multichannel) is a nice one as well. Those are all on Sony and are single layer. Cowboy Junkies 'Open' (stereo/hybrid) on Rounder Records' Zoe Records label is very good. If you like classical, I would recommend 'Music of Hovhaness' (hybrid/stereo) w/ Yolanda Kondonassis, harp and I Fiamminghi on Telarc, a full DSD recording; 'Dedicated to the Victims of War and Terror' (mulitchannel/hybrid/full DSD), Shostakovich/Schnittke w/ Constantine Orbelian Pianist/conductor and the Moscow Chamber Orchestra on Delos; Toru Takemitsu 'How Slow The Wind' (Hybrid/Stereo/Full DSD) w/ Tadaaki Otaka, Conductor; Chrisitian Lindberg, Trombone; Kioi Sinfonietta Tokyo on BIS.

3. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

James Taylor - Hourglass
    Stevie Ray Vaughn - all titles released
    Dave Brubeck - Time Out
    Miles Davis - Kind of Blue
    Miles Davis - Miles Smiles
    Mingus - Ah Um

If you like Blues - anything on the Audioquest label - but you might start with the SACD Audioquest Blues Sampler Disc.

The recent Analogue Production releases on SACD of Original Jazz Classics like:
    Miles - Cookin
    Rollins - Way Out West
    Rollins - Saxophone Collossus
    Chet Baker - Chet
    Bill Evan - Waltz for Debbie

are all great sounding SACDs - they can only be purchased, so far, from places like
    www.elusivedisc.com
    www.acousticsounds.com

All the above are just the tip of the iceberg - as I sure you will get more suggestions.

Out of the near 90 SACDs that I have I would say most are very good - only a handful really sound terrible.

A disc to stay away from would be Aerosmith - Just Push Play - probably the worst SACD released so far sound quality wise.

4. sgb

sgb Senior Member

Thanks for the warning, Mike. The worst sounding SACD in my collection has to be The Byrds Greatest Hits. Although not by much, the redbook is a little more listenable, so I still prefer to listen to the earlier 20 Essential Tracks CD that came out in the late 80's or early 90's (forget which).

As for SACD recommendations, I find that the Opus 3 Sampler entitled Showcase is just about as good as you can find. It's a nice mixture of Jazz and Blues. A little too New-Age for my tastes, but great sounding also is Opus 3's Tiny Island. The Blood Sweat and Tears SACD was so good that I sold my MoFi copy on ebay.

5. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Todd,

Other's have made good recommendations, although I would suggest that you hear the Hovhaness before you buy it. Harp music just may not be exciting enough for you. Since you have bought "Blonde on Blonde" I guess you're more a rock/pop/jazz fan, so I won't mention any classical.

What sort of music do you really like? I have over 170 SACDs now and there's only one I don't like - Tony Bennett "Unplugged". And it sounds good!

* Blood, Sweat And Tears - you must hear this. Superb.
    * Santana - "Abraxas" - from the opening bell-tree you will be amazed right till the end. "Caravanserai" tops it, but it's a JSACD and expensive.
    * The Sopranos - Music From The Original Series (2CD) - oh so varied. Excellent.
    * Jeff Beck - "Blow by Blow" - a bit short. But Jeff Beck's finest and it sounds great.
    * Genuwine - "The Life" - don't dismiss this if you haven't heard it.

I love the Roger Waters double "In the Flesh", though it was panned in a review I recently saw on line. I like the three Billy Joel SACDs, and Gloria Estafan is a fun disc. "Thriller", "Tapestry" - both good.

Soul? "Soul Vaccination: Tower of Power Live" is good; so are The Three Degrees.

For more laid-back stuff

* Laura Nyro - "Angel in the Dark"
    * Alison Krauss - both are excellent and "New Favourite" is available, but I've not heard that yet.
    * Nancy Bryan - "Neon Angel"
    * Rebecca Pigeon - "The Raven"

Wasn't that pleased with "Hourglass" though the sound is good. I just thought that James Taylor was short on ideas there.

For jazz, the three MoFis (Patricia Barber) are mind-blowing, but you have to be a fan of hers. I am and the sound on these is awesome.

Jacintha - all three are delightful.

Duke Ellington - "Meets Count Basie". I've got the MoFi "Blues in Orbit" and that's a really expensive disc. The Sony goes very close and is excellent.

All the APOs are great (Rollins, Chet, Davis).

I like all the Miles Davis - maybe not "Jazz at the Plaza", though the music is great.

Different stuff:

Monty Alexander - "Sly and Robbie". This has some of the best recorded bass playing I've heard; excellent rhythm section.

Erich Kunzel - Cincinnati Pops Orchestra - "A Celtic Spectacular" - wonderful, wonderful disc. If you love Irish music this is a treat. The best recorded version of "Danny Boy" I've ever heard.

Kodo - "Mondo Head" - this is awesome. Some fantastic sounds, and just thrilling.

I have 10 Linn SACDs and these are just divine sounding. Claire Martin is a nice one, but so are the Tommy Smith's.

Just so much good stuff.

Regards,
    Metralla

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.