Police "Message in a Box" question...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RoyalScam, Jan 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DetroitDoomsayer

DetroitDoomsayer Forum Middle Child

I didn't know that. Ya learn somthing new every day! :righton:

2. btomarra

btomarra Classic Rock Audiophile

It's used in place of the original after Don't Stand So Close to Me. I like it!

3. btomarra

THis is very confusing. So, the US digipacks of the catalog (I believe these are the redbook of the SACDs hybrids) from 2003 with the fixing of the tape drag of Roxanne and Can't Stand Losing You eq fixing, is not the way to go as it is fatiguing? Pre MIaB box set mastered cds is the way to go and not the box set?

4. DetroitDoomsayer

Let me say that I'm not as sensitive to some of the things that folks here hear. I really don't find anything objectionable about the 2003 remasters.

I know that I'll get the slap down from some forum members, but I like the punchiness of the new ones.

If I could figure out how to post screen shots of the wave form I would as they are pretty dynamic looking. They are, I'm sure, louder than the old discs, and the wave form says as much, but in no way are they brickwalled, or a flat-topped green bar.

I will also say that the first edition 'Ghost In The Machine' I had was THE quietest CD I've ever heard, when making a tape comp back in the day, I had to just about turn the recording level all the way to max just to get a good level next to other CDs, or the other CDs in the Police catalog for that matter.

5. btomarra

Thank you. And you are refering to the current 2003 digipack redbook cds still in print as being dynamic and not flat topped or brickwalled?

6. DetroitDoomsayer

Yes. Mastering by Bob Ludwig. Some like his style, some don't.

7. audiodrome

audiodrome Senior Member

So let me get this straight. On the latest CD version of Outlandos D'Amour "Can't Stand Losing You" and "Roxanne" were remastered from new tape sources?

8. Demolition Man

Demolition Man Forum Resident

Its also on the SACD for the 5.1 mix. The stereo SACD layer has the original version.

9. maxheadroom

maxheadroom Senior Member

There's a set "out there" called "Missing in a Box" that collects all missing material listed in this thread.

10. Gang Twanger

Gang Twanger New Member

I too don't mind the "Ghost In The Machine" digipak (Those are the cardboard ones with the odd-sized front covers and the clear plastic inner, right?). I think it sounds quite good in comparison to other remasters. I guess the only problem I have is the louder volume, but it's not earth-shaking. Since I've really gotten into the older 80's CD's as of late, I really pay attention to volume. But I don't find much wrong with the Police remasters I've heard. I also have that 2CD "The Police" best-of, which sounds okay, but seems to have a bit of midrange suckout compared to the remasters I've heard.

I don't think any of the Police issues I've heard have any huge problems. I can listen to both. But wait 'til I get a better system. Then I'll be complaining all over the place.

Oh, and thanks for ruining "Can't Stand Losing You" for me. I hadn't noticed the issue until you guys brought it up. I really liked that song.

Now the Marshall Tucker stuff I have........ No problems.

11. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian Thread Starter

Either that or they were somehow fixed, but yes the anomalies from previous masterings are gone.

Well it was ruined for me for YEARS, so now we're even! :cheers:

12. audiodrome

audiodrome Senior Member

Does the 2007 Police 2CD set have the same mastering as the 2003 Digipaks? If so, I'm still a little confused. I just compared the new "anthology" version of "Can't Stand Losing You" to the version on Message In A Box and to my ears it sounds like the exact same tape source except that the new 2CD set version has a more aggressive mastering style.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.