Police " Message In A Box Volume 2 Coming..."

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by full moon, Jan 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dugan99

dugan99 Forum Resident

As I was the one who originally posted the track listing, I did note it with an "if true", so I agree let's take with a grain of salt until otherwise confirmed...however, the one thing that concerns me about this track list and the potential that it is legit is the lack of commentary from anyone else about potential unreleased Police material. I'm not that up to speed on the status of material in the Police vaults. In fact, the only thing I can recall is a bunch of Ghost in the Machine demos that kicks around in the "trading community". If this box is a sequel to the first (and notes on the front page of the Copeland website seem to indicate that), what the heck could be on it? There are only 5 Police albums, and they toured pretty heavily in the 1979-1984 window. Its not like the spent years in the studio. Are there any Police experts who could speculate on what unreleased material there could be?

2. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

I've heard and read that many shows were professionally recorded. If that is true (and I'm guessing with their success, it probably is), it does seem strange that they would add the 2 shows from "The Police Live" to the proposed boxed set outlined in that track listing. It would make much more sense and guarantee more sales to give us live shows that have yet to see the light of day. Add to that a DVD of live material and you have a box that many Police fans would gladly purchase.

3. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

:agree: Give us a box with one CD that finishes off the odds and ends missing from the first set and add three CDs of live material from the tours between the two found on "Police Live" and you'd have a killer box.

If this box tracklisting is for real then it's a massive snoozer. I don't think the presence of the previously released material ensures it's NOT real, though. After all, most of the first "Message" was already available on CD, wasn't it?

4. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

One concert that would make this set a must buy is the 1978 Hartfield Polytechnics where they played "Message In A Bottle" for the first time ever. Fantastic sound and great tracklist!

5. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

The level of detail on the proposed track listing makes me think it's the real thing, as if it was cribbed from a legitimate source. If so, this quickly becomes the worst box set in history and a shoo-in for THE ONION's "Least Essential Recordings of 2007."

6. Mike Dow

In the early days of Nickelodeon, they used to air an early Police concert quite frequently. Our local cable system in northern Maine picked up the channel very early in it's existence and Nickelodeon seemed to air this show several times a week. I have no idea where it was filmed but I probably saw it at least ten times over six months. I'm sure there are many other shows from the band's six years together that could be considered for official release.

I would like to see a Police box similar in design to The Rolling Stones "Four Flicks" box. Give us four previously unreleased Police shows on DVD, and they have my money.

7. dugan99

dugan99 Forum Resident

I would agree this would be great, but I wouldn't be thinking "DVD" in terms of anything having to do with this box in question. They are already planning on a DVD release of "The Police:Around The World" documentary from the early 80's as part of this 30th Anniversary celebration. If they had a live DVD to release, I think it would be its own seperate item.

Nor would I think this is going to be some kind of archival live release. In concept, they already did this, as the live album came after the first box.

I spent a little while googling the Police, and there doesn't seem to be any speculation of unreleased tracks in the vault. I agree with Ron...the level of detail on the notes makes me think it might be legit. It's a lot of detail for a hoax. :shake:

8. Mike Dow

According to FMQB, the industry trade paper, Sting has some February and March "Lute Album" dates to fulfill before The Police reunion can become fully cranked....

http://www.fmqb.com/Article.asp?id=340349

9. dolstein

dolstein Senior Member

EXACTLY!!! SOMEONE GETS IT!!!

I agree wholeheartedly. However, I think that Message in a Box II should have four discs of live material and then a "bonus" disc containing any studio tracks recorded between 1977 and 1986 and not included on the first Box set. I have absolutely no interest in shelling out $$$ for a bunch of dubious post-breakup remixes.

10. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

I agree with both of you. I "still" think that the track listing is bogus. I don't think I've ever seen such a lame track listing for such a potentially major boxed set by a major act of the calibre of a band like The Police. Ever.
    Wasn't it Dylan who said "I Just Don't Believe You"?

11. dolstein

dolstein Senior Member

Actually, I agree with you regarding the original track listing. I think a big fan with a lot of time on their hands and access to some solid discographical information simply compiled a list of every officially released Police track not included on the original Message in a Box Set.

However . . . I wish that whoever compiled this list had worked on the first box set. Perhaps then we wouldn't have had the egregious and completely boneheaded omissions.

I think it would be logical for Message in a Box II to focus on live material, rather than studio material, and it's an open question as to just how many unreleased studio recordings exist.

12. rocketman

rocketman New Member

I did not read all the posts but I heard today on KSHE 94.7FM in St.Louis today that The Police were getting back together for one tour to celebrate the thirtieth anniversary of the release of their first single record.That Sting,Stuart Copeland,and Andy Sommer were already rehearsing and recording in studio not only for the tour but for maybe a new album.I don't recall the name of the studio.Sounds like a one chance deal to see them if,like me you never got to.

13. dolstein

dolstein Senior Member

On the one hand, I'd love to hear some new material (hell, I'd be happy with a Police recording of Fortress Around Your Heart, which is one of the few solo Sting tracks that really sounds like a Police song). On the other hand, I want them to get back out on the road ASAP, before Sting and Stewart get in another fight and call the whole thing off.

Oh, and Stewart -- don't even THINK of playing polo, ok?

14. music4life

music4life Senior Member

If it were demos instead of half a dozen remixes of the same (what looks like) three songs, I'd be interested, but I fall into the majority here that this is a complete peice of crap! I've never got around to buying the live album, and decided to get the Syncronicity DVD instead.

15. TSmithPage

TSmithPage Ex Post Facto Member

You guys aren't being creative marketing-wise. What they could do in order to sell a bunch is make it a "limited edition collectors item numbered" box and charge double what you would ordinarily charge for it. It'd be a guaranteed sell out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.