Police Reunion?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by nosticker, Jan 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

No records is better than "Brand New Day"...in my opinon....

See I used to LOVE The Police...then something in Sting changed....round about the time he started writing nonsense like "Russians"...oh we knew it had been building for quite a while, but he lost his sense of rocking and fun at least from where I stood....here's a chance to bring some of that back....there was a reason we all loved The Police and they had credibility and there is a reason why many consider Sting to have lost that since the group broke up...

IMO of course...

2. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

I definitely hear where you're coming from, and I agree, I can't stand most of Sting's solo stuff.

However, check out any bootleg from Sting's 2005 tour where he brought along a small band and played Police songs the way they should be played. Then tell me whether or not you think he's still capable.

I think he's gonna shock people big time.

3. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

I actually HOPE he is still capable....that's what I desire...they meant a lot to me....

BTW nice avatar! According to Jay, The Cartel's version of that album (with the Sloan Party disc) is the way they wanted this to be mastered....Lawrence Currie (the producer) HATES the way the vinyl was done and doesn't have too much nice to say about the Canadian CD of it....

4. Man . . . get "Ten Summoner's Tales." The whole record has that fun, not too serious slant to the lyrics that is a polar opposite of "Russians." It was recorded with a relatively small group and isn't arranged much more densely than were "Ghost In the Machine" or "Synchronicity." {Skip the track "Fields of Gold.} Vinnie Colaiuta is fantastic on that album. That said, I'll take Andy Summers over Dominic Miller on guitar anytime. Summers' bits on "The Lazarus Heart" are a highlight of "Nothing Like the Sun."

5. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Only for the Grammys,nothing else has been announced but its a start.

6. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

If one didn't like Sting's first 2 solo albums, they sure won't like Ten Summoner's Tales. (I like Sting's first 4 studio releases and I was a huge Police fan) I can see why some folks wouldn't like Sting's solo work while loving The Police. However as much as I loved both these bands back in the day (and I was 18 when I first heard them), I would give The Clash the edge over The Police. Why? Probably because I thought some of The Police's singles were a bit "light" (De Do Do Do...; Every Little Thing...) where as The Clash were "heavier" and more energetic. (It was more fun to cover a Clash song if you were in a rock band in those days than a Police song) Having said all this, I'm looking forward to this reunion as I NEVER thought it would even be considered!

7. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy Thread Starter

I saw him play "Next To You" on one of the late night shows. Josh Freese was the drummer.

The band kicked major a**!!! He can still bring it. Enough tantric rock, Stingy! Let 'em loose!!!

Dan

8. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

I saw Sting at Live 8 and thought "If he is doing this, why didn't he just play the show with the Police?" You wonder now whether the idea of a reunion was already percolating in his mind, or if playing with the smaller band made him nostalgic.

9. Metoo

Metoo Forum Hall Of Fame

I have just read that The Police will open the Grammys. The reunion marls the 30 year anniversary of the release of the song "Roxanne." The announcement of The Police's appearance at the Grammys comes directly from the Academy itself. A tour, to take place this summer, has also been announced although no specific dates have been given.

10. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

As long as Dominic Miller stays in the band, Sting won't EVER play Police songs "the way they should be played". That guy's the guitar-playing equivalent of Sominex... :thumbsdn:

11. Ryan Lux

Ryan Lux Senior Member

I agree with you that in certain places, The Clash is considered way cooler than The Police.

12. Interesting that The Police would chose the U.S. who were long behind the U.K., W Europe, Canada, Australia, etc. in getting into the Police.

"Roxanne" made it to the Billboard charts, mid 1979, probably peaking in early 1980. I remember playing the Police on radio in probably early 1978, debuting in its entirety, the first album the week it was released by A&M Canada. And somewhere along the way, I possibly played the "Fallout" single long before that.

13. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

Well, I don't think you'll have to worry about him this summer. :cool:

14. Stateless

Stateless New Member

Another reunion...:o They are usually disappointments but the Police might be able to pull it off....athough I thought they were pretty lame at the HOF a few years back. Having John Mayer come out with them didn't help things. ;) Guess we'll see...

15. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Man, having seen Sting keep Miller in his band since 1991, I wouldn't put it past him to include Miller as a second guitarist. Don't think it'll happen, but I wouldn't be shocked either...

16. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

I don't know if this has been posted, but I heard on the radio that the are in North Vancouver rehearsing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.