Police SACD vs vinyl: Which is better?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by thomh, Mar 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thomh

thomh New Member Thread Starter

I've got first UK/US/Dutch pressings of all the Police LPs and have been sitting on the fence with regards to the SACDs. For those who have made a detailed comparison: Do these SACDs better the existing vinyl with regards to listening pleasure and musical enjoyment?

Thanks.
    Thom

2. Gardo

Gardo Audio Epistemologist

I've compared my first US pressing of Ghost in the Machine to the appropriate album tracks on the Classics SACD (stereo mix, natch), and while my vinyl sounded very good indeed, the SACD did beat it to my ears, by a considerable margin: smoother treble, fuller and more articulate bass, sweeter and more palpable mids. How much of this is medium, how much is mastering, I don't know, but it tallies with my experience of most SACDs I've bought and compared to vinyl.

3. Holy Zoo

Holy Zoo Gort (Retired) :-)

I'm planning on doing several comparisons. I have original UK pressings of the first 3 albums, a Nautilus pressing of ZM, a Japanese pressing of GITM, as well as US pressings of GITM and Synchronicity.

I'll report back when the SACDs arrive. (Thank Sam Goody for the delay!)

HZ

4. aashton

aashton Here for the waters...

Jeff - if you are selling tickets to this event - please book me a ring side seat :D I will be very interested in reading your thoughts on the matter :)

All the best - Andrew

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.