Polk Flagship Line Speaker Sale - Hurry!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by SandAndGlass, May 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident Thread Starter

I run them as my front speakers for stereo and HT.

My front amp is a SS Emotiva XP2-2, which is 250/watts per-channel.

I run any front speaker that I have hooked up with the amp, gives me plenty of bass and plenty of headroom.

I don't see and issues with running at half that power. But you can really crank these up, so 250-WPC is a decent amount of SS power for them.

You really don't need any more power than that.

rushed again likes this.
  2. Rentz

Rentz Forum Resident

Those bookshelfs are massive, aprx 32lb each

SandAndGlass likes this.
  3. SandAndGlass

Oh Yes, they are some serious bookshelf speakers!

The Polk LSiM line are some serious speakers, all through the whole line.

Notice the endorsements from our other member's on the 703's.

During the last sale, I bought the larger of the two LSiM center channel speakers. It is too massive to fit on the equipment stand that is under the TV, so I put it back in its box.

I'm still using the large center channel that I was using with the RTiA9's.

At Polk's regular prices, they are very competitive with the market place, Because of their production facilities, they can bring a speaker to market, at half the price of a smaller company.

To get these fine speakers at half price is something you really don't find other's doing.

I just had to move one of the 707's earlier today, to get at the amps, behind the TV. This thing is massive.

4xoddic likes this.
  4. 4xoddic

4xoddic Forum Resident

SandAndGlass, as you're an owner of both the Polk RTiA9 & LSIM707 (whom, I believe, has powered the RTiA9s well above the avg. AVR-level); could you describe where the LSIM707 wins out? Also, how do they blend with the CSi center?

I was on the Polk forum (from the Cornhulio era); and am well aware that most opinions there are based upon what I believe to be under-powering of the RTiA9 (other than Parasound HCA 3500 users).

I don't anticipate switching out my 4 RTiA9s, CSiA6 & FXi6s until we move. I also prefer the looks of my cherry RTiA9s. But Polk keeps sending me 1/2 price enticement!

THANX, Joe

Kristofa likes this.
  5. SandAndGlass

Yes, I have. Powering both of these, at different times with an Emotiva XPA-2 (Generation 1), This is a 72-lb, 250-watt amp and can really get things cranking. I have done this with the A9's and they really can fill a room with sound.

Having a powerful amp is important with both of these speakers to get a big, full sound. It doesn't necessarily mean that you have to play them at loud a loud volume.

I think that the A9's were intended for louder play than the 707's.

[​IMG]
    A lot of drivers at work there. The cabinet has a hollow knock to it compared to the 707's.

But you are talking about a $1,500/pr. speaker, compared to a $4,000/pr. speaker.

Everything about the $4K speaker is far batter quality (and it should be).

When I look at at A9, it looks like a Polk speaker design and construction wise.

When you look at a pair of 707's, they don't remotely look like a Polk speaker. In fact, if you were to demo the 707's for someone and then let them look at one up close, with the product name badge covered up, you'd probably have a hard time convincing someone that they were looking at and listening to a Polk.

They blend fine with the CSiA6 center channel speaker, which seem to be on sale right now. They are usually $399 and now they are just under $280. This is an excellent large, room filling center channel speaker for that price.

BTW... I'm noticing that the RTiA9's which are usually $749.95 are also on sale for $524.97. which is a really good deal, @Kristofa maybe this will be a good time? Who knows if and when they will run a 50% off sale on them, I think it will be a couple of years now, since the last one.

The photos definitely don't do the 707's justice. Since mine are black, I haven't seen the cherry, but I bet they will have a nicer looking finish in cherry than the A9's. And the plastic feet on the 9's don't exactly scream quality.

The A9's are my way least favorite Polk speaker with the grills off and I'm a pretty utility person when it comes to gear being used to pro-sound. But, with the grills off, there was way too much "bling" look to them, I did try but it wasn't working for me. They do look big but nice, with their grills on.

I have Zu Omen definition's sitting next to the 707's and they look alright, even though they don't have grills. In general, I do think that home speakers look best and blend better with the room with their grills on. Definitely adds at least 25-points to the WAF.

The 707's look real refined with their magnetic grills on. With the grills off, the finish around the drivers (the entire face) is a piano black gloss finish. The magnets are concealed and the 3-D badge holds the grills from the effects of gravity, while the magnets hold the grills against the cabinet.

Anyone buying or thinking of buying the 707's, be VERY careful with the GRILLS, if they get bent, just a tiny little bit, they will not stay on.

The 707's speaker drivers are mounted from the rear and do not have those unattractive silver rings that the 9's do, all you see are the surrounds and black rubber mounts, looks much better.

Sending you a PM with more info.

4xoddic likes this.
  6. Guss2

Guss2 Senior Member

I'm going to have audition some of these at Best Buy and maybe take advantage of this killer sale next time it comes around. I find it odd that they list Home Depot as one of their authorized retailers though.

4xoddic likes this.
  7. 4xoddic

4xoddic Forum Resident

Me too . . . a search @ HD shows 12 items, none @ my store, some only online.

8. SandAndGlass

That is odd! Never seen speakers at Home Depot.

Guess that is going to be the new thing, your don't carry something through your regular retail outlet, so you buy a few of something and place them on your web site and take orders.

Let's figure out yet another way, to throw another product line, down the drain.

9. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

Just a couple of comments. The veneer on the RTiA speakers is actually cherry wood and the color is perfect for cherry, just beautiful. The veneer on the LSiM speakers is.....well, I'm not quite sure, but I think it's an Asian mahogany type wood. The cherry color is not appealing. The black is called Midnight Mahogany, which is more commonly known these days as Expresso. They sprayed a black toner over the cherry color, so in strong light the speaker has a purple hue.

The LSiM drivers are mounted from the front, but have rubber trim rings hiding the mounting area.

4xoddic likes this.
  10. SandAndGlass

Interesting. I do have a pair of Cherry RTiA9's and agree, that it looks like what anyone would expect a nice Cherry Wood to look like.

It is a nice, real wood veneer when you consider the price point and the size of the speakers.

The LSiM707's color is listed as being Mount Vernon Cherry, which would suggest an American Cherry Wood, as in George Washington chopping down the Cherry Tree.

I have never seen the Cherry speakers in person but from the photos, they appear to be Cherry.

I would think they would have some legal issues with shipping the speakers with some kind of Asian Mahogany?

They are not advertising a color but "AVAILABLE FINISHES". I would take that to mean the type of wood veneer?

I can't imagine why they would spray anything but a clear coat over Cherry? I don't recall having ever seen a Cherry veneer that has a purple hue?

I have a few Peachtree integrated amps. Some have a natural Cherry veneer. I have their D3, D4 and D5 bookshelf speakers in Cherry veneer. I have their ERA (pre Peachtree) D14 tower speakers in Cherry and they Cherry has a nicer, more natural look than the RTiA9's. They are smaller towers by far, but better constructed and better looking, they are over 50% more expensive than the RTiA9's, so that is not unexpected.

My LSiM707's are the Midnight Mahogany finish and they look black as the Ace of Spades, from a distance. They look, in any light, as black as the Zu, Omen Definitions that sit right beside them, but the LSiM's have a more satin finish. If I get right up against them with a flashlight, you can see a difference, where the piano gloss black front meets the rest of the cabinet. You have to be that close to see the woodgrain which appears as a slight brown color.

My rear speakers are Klipsch WF-35's. Their color is listed as Expresso and in reviews, some reviewer's would comment that the wood was so dark that it looked black. When I look at the WF-35's in normal light, they look like a rich dark brown to me. Standing fairly close, I can clearly see the dark streaks of black in the wood grain. I would relate this color more like Expresso. The Polk's seem more like "Midnight" Mahogany.

They are the color that they are, to the average eye at a distance, they look like a satin black finish. Or to put it another way, they are about the blackest brown that you will ever see.

Either way, they are an incredible nice looking speaker.

Earlier, I had pulled of the grills and at first glance the rubber rings appeared to be the rubber surrounds. On closer examination, they are not part of the speakers, which have their own surrounds.

It would make more sense for them to be front mounted as there doesn't appear to be any access from the rear of the speaker.

11. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

I have, shall we say, first hand knowledge concerning the LSiM's. The cherry refers to the color, not the type of wood veneer, which is some type of Asian mahogany, I just don't know the specific species. It's the same veneer used on the Midnight Mahogany version. Since the speakers are built in China it only makes sense to use a local wood. There wouldn't be a problem importing any type of wood to the US as long as it isn't Brazilian rosewood.

There are a lot of reasons to add color to any wood. The RTiA cherry veneered speakers are not simply clear coated. A dye was added to the lacquer to obtain the color you see.

The purple hue is the result of spraying the black toner over the cherry colored finish. Yes, it appears black without strong light, but it is not pure black. If you are using an LED or florescent light it will appear to be a brown hue instead of purple as those lights kill red.

david1111 likes this.
  12. SandAndGlass

It would make sense to use the same wood to reduce the constriction costs. Just use different stains, one Cherry and one dark something or other.

I understand that they are made is China, as are Peachtree amps and speakers and they are made with a nice Cherry veneer. All kinds of Cherry veneer things come out of China, so someone must ship a bunch of Cherry Wood to China. Do they grow Cherry trees in China. The do grow Cherry trees in Japan.

Peachtree also has amps and speakers with a Rosewood veneer, which does have the look of S. American Rosewood, I have seen the Asian Rosewood from the Gold Triangle area. It doesn't look anything like the Rosewood we think about, it looks closer to Redwood. I prefer its natural color. But most of it ends up being died a deep red that is the Color used in Chinese furniture that is not that black lacquer. So they must get their Rosewood from somewhere also.

Aren't the Cherry Wood ARiA9's made in China also or are they made elsewhere?

Hard to comment without seeing these but I have never seen a Cherry Wood anything that had a purple hue?

I believe that you know what you are talking about, having first hand knowledge. But why would they put anything in, on, over or under the finish that would give it a purple hue? I don't understand their reasoning behind that?

My black "Midnight Mahogany" speakers don't have a purple hue that I have noticed. They are just really dark! I liked the looks ever since I took the sock off that was covering the speaker.

13. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

Sorry, I'm not making myself clear. The purple hue is the result of layering the black toner coats over the cherry color that was first applied over the Asian mahogany. Mixing or layering black and red/orange tones results in variations of purple/maroon/burgundy. It doesn't help that most black dyes have a slight purple cast to them. There's only one black dye that I know of which is pure jet black. It's made by an Italian company called ILVA.

I saw quite a number of pre-production samples, which were seriously purple under normal lighting.

14. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

The Polk 707's S&G referenced, seem to be a beautiful technical tour de force speaker that sound awesome as he's said. So many super nice speakers get lost in the forest of the "latest darling" speakers. There are a lot of really nice speakers out there that are "gems" as far as we ( audiophiles) are concerned and get lost in the noise. I would love to have these speakers.

timind, Tullman, Helom and 1 other person like this.
  15. SandAndGlass

It's not that, I believe that I understand your explanation as to where the purple hue is coming from.

What I do not understand, is why would they layer some black anything over the Cherry finish, if it results in the Cherry wood, having a "purple hue"?

Who wants their Cherry wood to have a purple hue?

You have seen it, I have not. But my Cherry RTiA9's don't have a purple hue. I would think that there was something strange, if they did.

16. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

All I know is whatever speaker I have, if I add Acca Poco Gold to the veneer it becomes the most beautiful hue/high I've ever seen in a speaker look/performance:)

david1111 likes this.
  17. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

It's not cherry wood on the LSiM's, it's a cherry color.

Polk wanted to offer two different colors for the LSiM's and this was the most economical way to do so.

For the RTiA's they used cherry veneer on the cherry colored speakers and either ash or oak on the black colored ones.

18. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

The LSiM's are a nice speaker, a much better music speaker than the RTiA series.

david1111 and Manimal like this.
  19. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Yes.
    The premise for my post was that there are some extremely good loudspeakers out there that do not make it into the mainstream "darling" list. The beauty of this forum is that we can use experience from members to show us the way. Heck I have LSA1 speakers that flashed briefly in the galaxy of our hobby. I bought them and I'm super happy.
    Polk has huge resources and R&D, THEY WONT SUCK!
    Anyway rock on my brothers:) Thanks sand:)

SandAndGlass, F1nut and Kristofa like this.
  20. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Having fun tonight in a liquid and friends family way! And as always wanting to communicate with my people on SH. Always good stuff here with my tribe. Peace

david1111 and Kristofa like this.
  21. SandAndGlass

Where are the RTiA9's made? Are they made in China?

Wondering, since they are 1/3 the price of the flagship LSiM707's.

I would think that it would be the other way around.

Most people would think that they would want to put the real cherry wood on the better speakers and the "fake" cherry wood on the less expensive speakers.

I get from what you are saying, that they are not a cherry wood, and are a cherry color.

Sorry to be so dense, I completely get it now (or at least, I think that I do).

Let me see if I'm getting this correct?

Your informing us how beautiful the ATiA9's actually look, owing to the fact that they are a real cherry wood.

And, that the cherry LSiM707's don't look as nice, as the color is not appealing. And the reason for that is that they are not cherry wood, even though Polk describes their "finish" as "Mount Vernon Cherry".

And, that in the process of making this "faux" cherry finish, they have an undesired artifact of having a "purple hue".

You further, go farther to explain where specifically, the purple hue comes from.

This has been very interesting, thank you for your insightful information.

When I elect to have black speakers, like my Zu, Omen Definition's cabinets or the almost black, Midnight Mahogany 707's, I can't say that it doesn't really matter what type of wood they are using, because they are so dark that it doesn't really matter.

Here is where it does get interesting to me.

I mentioned previously, that my rear towers are Klipsch. They were originally $1,500/pr. that I bought at a close out sale through New Egg for $600/pr. At $300/ea. for brand new Klipsch tower speakers, made with real wood, I stumbled across a great deal.

I thought that I would go back to the Klipsch web site and see how they describe the wood on the WF-35's, a member of their Icon-W series:

"While the WF-35 employs modern advancements on the inside, it reflects a classic approach on the outside, featuring a timeless wood veneer cabinet finished in espresso or cabernet. Unlike most speaker manufacturers who opt for domestic veneers (cherry, oak or maple), we selected an exotic, non-endangered Berlinia veneer from West Africa. Berlinia is a sister veneer to Zebrawood, which is often featured on luxury goods.

The WF-35 cabinet is carefully sanded, sealed and stained. Much like in high-end furniture manufacturing, the stain is then top coated with a polyurethane finish. This spray application involves 10 coats, with sanding in-between each coat to achieve the proper thickness. The cabinet is also inspected at every sanding level to ensure clarity over the stained veneer."

These speakers are beautiful, they do have the light and dark grain structure of real zebra wood and it shows through the stain.

They were available in two finishes, Cabernet and Espresso.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Even though the Espresso finish is dark, you can see that is has a brown tone to it and the light and dark grain structure, is clearly visible.

Their marketing is clear and up front, in describing the way the wood is sourced and then how the stains are applied...

I like both of these colors. I have a Zu sub that is in a Cabernet color also and I think that it really looks attractive.

When they describe how their cabinets are finished, I don't feel that it is coming from a Cabernet or an Expresso Tree.

Now, as specially since I do already own the RTiA9's and they are not just a cherry finish, but are real cherry wood, the same as other speakers I have that are also REAL cherry wood, naturally I would be given to expect that when Polk advertises their $4,000 a pair FLAGSHIP speakers in Mount Vernon Cherry, that they would be made of real cherry wood!

Two things, I'm glad that I bought the ones in Midnight Mahogany and I'm glad that I bought them at a half price sale.

Because, If I did purchase them for $4,000 a pair in Mount Vernon Cherry "finish", and I got them, thought that they looked "funny" and found out that they weren't real cherry, I would be one very unhappy puppy!

IF, they did make this clear to me, before I ordered them, then I would not have any reason to be unhappy.

But, who the hell wants fake cherry wood on a $4K speaker?

This would apply, not only to speakers. If I went to Ethan Allen and bought a dining room set or a bedroom set that were shown on the information card, describing the set as Mount Vernon Cherry, I would hope that it was made of real cherry wood and not "fake" cherry finish.

Anything that I have ever bought that was made of real wood as was described as cherry, always has been, made from real cherry wood.

With speakers, I do understand that they are not solid cherry wood, but that they would be made of MDF, with a cherry wood veneer.

I went back to the 707's page on the Polk web site and reread the entire description and specifications.

I find it interesting to note that they say nothing at all about the exterior of the cabinet? They do not even mention that it is a real wood finish. I can kind of understand that, because, once speakers get around the $800/pr. level and above, the vinyl coverings give way to real wood veneers. My first modern Polks, that were purchased back in 2011, the Monitor 70's, series II, were covered in a cherry vinyl, I had no problems with a $200 speaker being covered in vinyl.

In the page with the link to the LSiM series, it does state that they are "rock solid - furniture grade cabinets", I going to assume they mean "wood", we can only assume, since they never use "wood" to describe the cabinet's exterior and furniture is made from many different materials.

I'm concerned by some of their listed specifications.

Having looked at Polk specifications for a number of years, I see that they have made some changes in their specifications which, since they are technical specifications, are a bit disturbing.

For instance, on the LSiM707 product specific web page:

Under, Total Frequency Response 20 Hz → 40 kHz

They used to state +- 3DB. They would have an other specification, which would be outside this range and would be called something like total electrical limit. So if a speaker went to 42Hz +- 3dB, they might list 37Hz at the lower electrical limit. Meaning that it can play a down to a 37Hz tone, just not as loud.

Fair way of describing things and good to know. Notice that the dB is completely absent from the Total Frequency Response, specification.

Since when does a loud speaker company, omit a specification as important as this? And on their flagship speaker?

Another specification that they used to publish, is completely missing all together. They used to publish the recommended amplifier power range, such as 50 watts - 250 watts.

Wouldn't be special if a prospective purchaser were to know how much power would be required to "properly" drive the speaker?

If I have a modest tube amp of, say 36-watts, will it properly drive the 88dB efficient LSiM707's?
    Also, how much power is too much, 100-watts, 200-watts, 300-watts...?

Just things I have noticed too.

Thanks again for the Head's Up F1Nut! These are things we really need to know, sorry for being so dense. :righton:

22. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

No, the cherry LSiM doesn't have a purple hue, the Midnight Mahogany does.

In regards to speakers and furniture, just because the manufacturer calls it whatever cherry, whatever maple, whatever oak, etc. doesn't mean the wood or veneer is actually that species. Generally, it refers to the color. I'd bet at least some of your cherry furniture doesn't have any cherry wood or veneer in it. It's pretty easy to make certain cheap woods look so damn close to more expensive woods that the average person couldn't tell the difference.

One last thing. Most speakers and furniture are built to a price point. In this case to meet that price point Polk choose to use a less expensive veneer and put their money into the build quality and components.

4xoddic likes this.
  23. 4xoddic

4xoddic Forum Resident

I seem to recall someone posting on the Polk forum about removing the clear coat from his cherry RTi-a9s & polishing them up with carnauba wax. Google was no help. He posted some nice pics, & I commented that my wife couldn't keep up with dusting my 4 a9s, so I couldn't expect her to polish them.

This technique would work for the cherry a9s; while IF you tried it on the LSiM series Mt. Vernon Cherry => wouldn't one risk buffing thru the color coats & finding out what the underlying color really was?

24. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

No, he didn't remove the clear coat. He used professional polishing compounds, not wax, to change the sheen from flat to high gloss. The same could be done on the LSiM's.

4xoddic likes this.
  25. SandAndGlass

Sorry again, I thought you had meant the cherry had the purple hue. I couldn't figure out why anyone would make a fake cherry wood, with it having a strange purple hue.

As to the Midnight Mahogany, I've always thought they are so dark that they would look black or almost black, to the average person.

When I was examining them up close, last night, I could tell where the brownish color was different where it met the piano gloss black of the fronts.

There was something a little weird, because I was having some difficulty in determining that the main speaker body was brown. I wasn't sure how to describe it, because it was some sort of brown.

Going back right now and examining it with a small led flashlight, because my office lights are florescent's and the speakers do not get direct sun exposure.

Now, I know how to better describe the color that I am seeing. It is a purplish brown. Since the two are not usually found together, my poor brain didn't know what to make of it.

Don't really have too much actual furniture at present, because I run a motel. Most furniture is covered in vinyl or leather and we use black Ikea drawers in the rooms. Front desk and kitchen is genuine Formica, except for some newer cabinet additions, one of which has a granite top (all free, leftover from two different kitchen remodeling jobs. Great to have contractor's as friends :)).

I have both new a vintage speakers and I do believe that they are the real woods and veneers that they appear to be.

But you are right.

This has been an excellent head's-up for me.

In the future, the next time that I am shopping for a real wood something or other, I will be examining it very carefully to make sure that it the real deal. Previous to this, it would have not occurred to me.

In the past, yes, I have had shelves and other furniture and have seen other furniture that was not the genuine thing, but I always knew that it was simulated. Now, I definitely see that, today, greater scrutiny is strongly advised!

Thanks again!

And I do think that Polk is knowingly misleading people. I bet that most people buying speakers in the LSiM line, think that they are buying real cherry wood.

As you say, with the technology today, most would never know the difference (unless they are reading this thread :)).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.