Poll: Are You a Fan of Star Trek?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by marke, Mar 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marke

marke Forum Resident Thread Starter

I recently picked up a batch of Star Trek TV box sets due to video stores closing and sales at second hand stores and have renewed my affection for Trek in its various incarnations. At the moment I am watching Star Trek: The Next Generation.

Although Star Trek would not be in my top 5 tv shows of all time, I do enjoy many episodes of the five series to date and various Trek movies. I would rate myself as a fan. So are you a Trekkie, casual fan or non-fan?

2. marke

I first started watching Star Trek in the early eighties when repeats were shown on Australian television. Not every episode was gold but I really enjoyed the interplay between Kirk, Spock and McCoy. The next series that really grabbed me was Deep Space Nine, particularly the latter seasons with the Dominion War. Quark was possibly my favorite character in the series. Of course I liked TNG and various Voyager episodes but surprisingly I really got into Enterprise. It copped a lot of flak but for me, Seasons 3 and 4 are very strong.

My favorite Trek films are Wrath of Khan, Search for Spock, Voyage Home and First Contact.

3. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

I voted "casual fan"... I own all the movies on DVD (the first 6 with the original crew are absolute classics that I've re-watched countless times)... but I'm not a big enough fan to bother with the seasons any of the TV series. I've never even seen a single episode of Voyager or Enterprise.

4. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Definitely a Trekkie.
    Seen every episode & movies multiple times.
    Been to a few conventions (no I did not dress-up).

Darryl

5. Casual fan now, but as a kid I was a total Star Trek geek - had the models, books, Kirk Halloween costume, blueprints, and so on that I could get my hands on (and convince the parents to buy when my meagre funds ran dry).

marke likes this.
  6. marke

I didn't know there was a Kirk Halloween costume. We Aussies missed out big time.

7. marke

Some of my favorite Trek characters-

Spock
    Jean-Luc Picard
    Data
    Bones McCoy
    Kirk
    Khan (original as played by Ricardo Montalban)
    Neelix
    Captain Jonathan Archer
    Worf
    Deanna Troi
    Borg Queen
    Seven of Nine
    Chief O'Brien

Many great memories

8. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

Sure, I enjoy a lot of it. Over the years I've probably seen the majority of it all, though I've never had a yen to go to a convention (whether dressed as Kirk, a Klingon or stranger yet, myself) or collect models, comics, etc, so I guess I'm a "casual fan."

The original series is the most vivid in my imagination, Next Gen is the most consistently enjoyable, DS9 the best drama, Voyager is an "also-ran" I've not managed to get excited about yet, Enterprise a half-way abbreviated series I like well enough and the movies are a mixed bag, with hits, mixed bags and misses. JJ Abrams had a use for the "reboots," but I don't.

marke likes this.
  9. Jupiter

Jupiter Forum Resident

Star Trek? I don't watch Sanitised SF.

10. Jackson

Jackson Senior Member

I'm a fan of the original series only.

No Static and Vidiot like this.
  11. marke

Finally we have a meh! :pineapple:

12. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I'm somewhere between "Trekkie Forever" and "Casual Fan". I'm not a true Trekkie - if I was, I'd correct you and call myself a "Trekker"! ;) - but since I've seen every episode of every series as well as every movie, it's hard to call myself "casual", either.

Caveat: if I didn't run my website, my level of "Trek"-watching would be MUCH MUCH MUCH lower...

scobb, Pinknik, mgoad30 and 1 other person like this.
  13. Laibach

Laibach Forum Resident

only watch voyager, tng occasionally.

14. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

I'm a full on trekker & love all of the series. Star Trek TOS / TNG rank in my top 3 one hour shows & just edge out The X-Files as my top sci-fi show. I was a fan of the original series to begin with and had some issues with TNG when it started - thought that it sounded lame & some of the actors annoyed me. However when I started watching it on video in the early 90's I quickly became a huge fan - to the point where I now rate it as highly as TOS. I rate the other three in the order they began - DS9 - Voyager & then Enterprise.

I love all the movies except the final one where they kill off Data. I'm especially fond of the first four and first contact.

Favourite characters

Data
    Spock
    Capt Kirk
    Q
    Bones
    Scotty
    Quark
    Odo
    Capt Archer
    Capt Janeway
    7 of 9 (of course!)
    Capt Picard
    Worf

15. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

I agree with Oatsdad, I'm somewhere between a Trekker and a casual fan. Love the original series and TNG, have to admit not really liking DS9, Voyager or Enterprise. Been a fan of the movie series since I saw Star Trek:The Motion Picture when it was first released, I've seen all of the Trek films in the theater.

16. Remurmur

Remurmur Music is THE BEST! -FZ

I was a huge fan of TOS, mostly for Roddenberry's optimistic future view that someday...human brings will become far more than the immensely flawed beings that they now are and lose their desire to hate and kill anyone or anything different than themselves.

A lofty future view perhaps but certainly in this presant day, a worthy one.

I always enjoyed the interplay between Kirk, Spock, and McCoy as well. In the episodes where their characters were well written, their mutual respect and unspoken affection for each other was a compelling dynamic not often seen in the episodic network television of the time.

Yes. TOS did stumble here and there , but when it hit....it usually hit big.

TNG was a more mature version of TOS that had many outstanding episodes once it really found it's footing in the third season. And I love Kirk, but Picard was a lot more believeable as being the type of person who would even be allowed to lead a starship.

DS9 I never really got into as much as I should have, which from what I've heard from others, was a mistake on my part, as I missed some really fine TV writing throughout it's run. I did think Sisko was... in his way...just as cool as Picard as a leader.

Voyager was the first Star Trek that ended up being a real let down for me. 40 years from the nearest starbase, the Voyager get beat to hell every week by those horrible aliens, but next week...what do ya know...she's as good as new ! Sorry. That really bothered me. And it seemed too much like the kind of thing that you would see on Lost In Space. After a few episodes I bailed.

Enterprise finally lost me near the end of the first season and I never went back. Even though I guess it did get better in later seaons I lost out on that.

I've seen every movie and with the exception of number 5 , pretty much enjoyed them all.

So, I'm still a fan of Gene's vision, still a fan of TOS and TNG and of selected series episodes after that.

marke likes this.
  17. Vens

Vens Member

This wont be a popular opinion but the only one I liked was Voyager. I thouth the idea of a ship lost in space, trying to find its way was really cool. Except it is not original at all since Lost in Space heh.

18. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Fun Fact: The Capt. Kirk mask was used to make the Michael Myers mask in Halloween. They simply spray painted the mask white.

Dudley Morris likes this.
  19. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

True Trekkie when it comes to the original series and original crew films. Love them and watch them all the time on blu-ray. Have tons of merchandise too.

20. I went with Casual fan, but only because there was nothing between that and Trekkie Forever. I'm no Trekkie, but more than just a "casual fan", especially back in the day. :D

21. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

"Casual Fan".

I like the original "Star Trek" for camp. I think "Star Trek: The Next Generation" has some really thought provoking episodes. I did not watch much after that.

22. It wasn't a full-blown costume, to be sure - I certainly didn't wear a Shatner mask! It was essentially the gold Kirk tunic with the insignia, coupled with a pair of black slacks and topped off with my toy phaser carried in, IIRC, a holster appropriated from a cowboy costume. All together it did the trick nicely.

marke likes this.
  23. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

Did you get to kiss a green Orion slave girl?? :winkgrin:

SBurke and marke like this.
  24. Vens

Vens Member

[​IMG]

Ghostworld and Pinknik like this.
  25. quadjoe

quadjoe Senior Member

I didn't vote because I am a Trekker, not a "Trekkie." I've been watching Star Trek since the 1960s and love the show to this day, and I've seen all the films as well. My life doesn't revolve around it, but I will say that I met my wife in a Science Fiction fan club! :D

marke likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.