Poll: Are You a Fan of Star Trek?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by marke, Mar 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. m5comp

m5comp Classic Rock Lover

On the BDs you can watch either the "modern" special effects or the original FX. I guess you would get the original credits if you chose to watch the episodes with original FX. I like the improved picture quality, although it varies from shot to shot in some episodes.

alexpop likes this.
  2. benjaminhuf

benjaminhuf Forum Resident

Incredibly enough, I start teaching a college course on Star Trek for the first time just this week....

jriems and forthlin like this.
  3. Mike B

Mike B Forum Resident

The original Star Trek show is my single favorite TV show of all time by far.
    Even though I was born 8 years after it got canceled and was introduced to the series through the later shows, I have come to love and appreciate what Star Trek means within its context for entertainment the way I came to appreciate Charlie Parker and the The Beatles retroactively.

As an awkward nerdy boy who dreamt of being of an astronaut and loved fixing and understanding machines, Star Trek is an unabashed celebration of progress-through-science. Humanity exploring the unknown instead of warring amongst itself is basically the sum total of my greatest utopian fantasies.
    Having it portrayed through colorful characters, with dashed of good old-fashion action/adventure, is entertainment nirvana.

Of course a lot of it sucks "objectively" because they made like a billion hours of it when you take into account all the TV shows, movies, etc. But I can derive some enjoyment out of all but the most truly terrible episodes of the original, TNG or DS9 even after seeing them over and over again.

sgtmono likes this.
  4. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Star Trek: Axanar looks interesting. It begins filming later this year and will be released next year. The video below is Prelude to Axanar, a mock documentary to generate interest for the film's Kickstarter campaign.

5. Drew

Drew Senior Member

I consider myself a little more than a casual fan. I've seen pretty much everything but don't own anything on DVD or Blu-ray at home.

I love Gene Roddenberry's vision, but artistically its played itself out. Its just a money making property for Paramount at this point.

6. GlamorProfession

GlamorProfession Forum Resident

casual fan cruising the galaxy at 1/4 impulse power

Erik Tracy likes this.
  7. sgtmono

sgtmono Seasoned Member

I love Star Trek, but I'm not devoted enough to consider myself a Trekkie. The original TV series, the first 7 movies, and TNG are all things I enjoy and have watched/would watch multiple times.

8. erniebert

erniebert Shoe-string audiophile

Star Trek. Good stuff. :thumbsup:

9. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

10. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

Casual fan of the original and the movies. TNG was good but I haven't spent a lot of time with it. I don't own any of the movies or boxed sets of the show but I always watch an episode of the original when it pops up on cable. I love that the franchise has people who have followed it for so long.

Blastproof and alexpop like this.
  11. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

I'm a total Original Series Trekie.

12. alexpop

Truck on trek. :)

13. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I've got all the Trek series on my media server (except Enterprise, which I choose to erase from reality) and cycle through them every few years. I find it interesting that I discover something new each time through, like an actor that I've come to know and like much later in their career and then realizing that they also appeared in Trek, like for instance, the super-cute Ashley Judd in TNG.

Lucidae likes this.
  14. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

Yeah recognizing familiar faces is one of my favorite things about re-watching old episodes. DS9 even has a guest appearance by Lost in Space's Billy Mumy.
    I totally understand your disdain for Enterprise, but I've warmed up to it myself recently and actually it's not that bad in retrospect.

15. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

I've got a few of these DVDs

[​IMG]

Darryl

alexpop likes this.
  16. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

"They are the hell not your whales"

"You`ll have to excuse my friend,he did a little too much LDS back in the 60`s"

old4mat likes this.
  17. I'm probably a lot more than a "Casual Fan", but not quite "Trekkie Forever" (or I certainly don't think so).

70% of The Next Gen was great (especially after the first 2 seasons), as was Deep Space Night (at least 75% was great!). Voyager wasn't as good, but I'd still say 50% of it was at least pretty good. So I've seen practically all the episodes of all three of those series (90%).

Enterprise was OK, but I gave up after the first 2 seasons (or maybe early in the 3rd season), and haven't found an easy way to catch the last two seasons (I understand the 4th season got a lot better, but haven't seen any of it -- maybe eventually).

I've seen a LOT of the original series over the years (including when it was in syndication back in the late 70's and all through the 80's), and I'm catching it all again now on cable (on "Me TV"), and discovering a number of episodes I'd never seen (to my surprise) -- and it's fun seeing the series again.

I've seen all the TOS and TNG movies (3-4 times each, over the years), the I like them in pretty much the same patterns as everyone else (the even-numbered ones are the best, and the TNG movies are hit and miss, but generally good and occasionally great).

I hated the first 'reboot' movie, and might catch the second one eventually on cable, but I'm in no hurry (and don't expect to like it any better than the first).

I've never owned any DVD's of any of the Trek series, or movies -- but then, I don't really buy movies on DVD (or even have a Blue Ray player).

And I've never owned any Trek-themed stuff of any sort.

18. Roninblues

Roninblues 猿も木から落ちる。

Was a fan of Nyota Uhura as a kid.

19. hogger_reborn

hogger_reborn Active Member

Casual fan. I watch "Space Seed" directly before watching Star Trek II - Wrath of Khan. Idrc for The Next Generation or the other spin offs.

20. aussievinyl

aussievinyl Appreciator Of Creative Expression

I love the original series, due to the bizarre acting style of William Shatner and the interesting plots. I bought almost all the movies they made with the original cast and am working through those. I bought the Blu Ray sets of the original series and current reboots and enjoy them, but that will do it for me. You have to have Spock - it's illogical not to.

alexpop likes this.
  21. Thwacko

Thwacko Forum Resident

Very casual fan. I watch TOS and TNG episodes sometimes, but haven't seen them all. I've seen most of the movies. I've never attended a convention nor dressed as a character, and I don't own any merchandise.

22. alexpop

?

23. quadjoe

quadjoe Senior Member

As I sit typing this, I am relaxing for a few minutes from the festivities here at DragonCon in Atlanta, GA. I guess you'd say I'm a true Trekker, though this is the first SF convention I've been to in a long time!

24. Damien DiAngelo

Damien DiAngelo Forum Resident

I had to go with 'meh'.

My dad was a huge Trekkie. He loved that show dating back to it's original run. He used to watch Next Gen. when it was on tv too. So, I've seen a lot of Star Trek.
    I certainly don't dislike it. If it's on during lunch at work, I have no problem watching it. But I will not turn it to a Trek show or movie on my own.

25. alexpop

Available?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.