POLL: Best David Bowie Parlophone Reissue

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SoundDoctor, Oct 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SoundDoctor

SoundDoctor Forum Resident Thread Starter

Many on this forum have expressed frustration over the remastering of the Berlin box, but what do you guys think is the best of the Bowie Parlophone (CD and/or vinyl) reissues so far? I included the live albums, but not the Re:Call compilations or the album remixes because there wasn't enough space (I did include The Gouster, though). Pick 3.

2. SoundDoctor

I voted for Diamond Dogs, The Gouster, and Hunky Dory. Most of the reissues, especially Lodger, sound dull and boring. The excitement of the top end isn't there.

3. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Man Who Sold/Hunky/Dogs

Casagrande and SoundDoctor like this.
  4. SoundDoctor

TMWSTW was good, too.

sound chaser likes this.
  5. I think Hunky Dory and Diamond Dogs are among the better ones in that list.

TonyCzar and SoundDoctor like this.
  6. Diamond Dogs

SoundDoctor likes this.
  7. SoundDoctor

Seems to be the consensus so far...

8. Marc 74

Marc 74 Senior Member

The Man Who Sold The World would be my choice. If you don't want to spend lots of money for one of the RCA's that's a decent alternative.

9. dubious title

dubious title Forum Resident

I voted Low. Perhaps his best record. I compared it to my VG+ UK first and thought it held up rather well. It comes with the dippy fan club card, glued on sticker and the cover looks close to the real thing. It also played nice and quiet. Feel free to tell me where I went wrong.

JimJimFalls likes this.
  10. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

... really surprised not to see anyone voting for Ziggy, as the vinyl reissue is identical to the acclaimed 40th Anniversary AAA edition.

11. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Uh ... but Lodger has never sounded great. That was the whole point of the Visconti remix. There is literally no great-sounding original version of Lodger.

MungoMusic likes this.
  12. SoundDoctor

And the Visconti remix is soaking in way too much reverb...

13. SoundDoctor

I thought Low had bloated bass and too much compression, but I enjoy the jacket.

NunoBento and dubious title like this.
  14. Merrick

Merrick The return of the Thin White Duke

To me Pin-Ups is the only slam dunk better than any other version release Parlophone has done. I also chose Young Americans, which is pretty good, and The Gouster which flowed better than I thought it would. If it were an option I’d have chosen NLMD 2018 over Young Americans.

15. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway YES, I'M A NERD

The Pin-Ups and The Man Who Sold the World CDs are very good.

I don't have any of their vinyl, or any of their releases after Scary Monsters and the Cracked Actor live CD.

rrowley and SoundDoctor like this.
  16. SoundDoctor

Interesting that somebody voted for "Heroes." It had volume issues, distortion, and bloated bass from what I could tell. I still respect that person's opinion, though.

17. mr_spenalzo

mr_spenalzo Forum Resident

Ziggy, Diamond Dogs and The Gouster (the beautiful "Who Can I Be Now" and "It's Gonna Be Me" instead of "Fame" and "Across The Universe": excellent!).

If NLMD '18 was included, I'd have picked it over Ziggy.

18. Tim Bexter

Tim Bexter Well-Known Member

Bloated bass problem is "LOW".... "Heroes" 2017 remaster is good with Japan For USA RCA CD. My vote is Young Americans. Much better than Awful Remixed AU20 & Ryko and terrible 1999 & 2007

SoundDoctor likes this.
  19. SCOTT1234

SCOTT1234 Senior Member

Don't agree. It's one of those oft repeated myths. The original vinyl sounds perfectly fine. Not saying it's an amazing audio experience but neither are Heroes or even Diamond Dogs for example. All those records have airless Visconti mixes, which are relatively lacking in dynamics. Bottom line is there is is nothing actually bad about them. They can sound great on a good system that allows you to get your head into those mixes. That also means they could sound crappy on some systems.

20. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

The WG RCA CD sounds perfectly fine, good, even. It's my go-to version over the original vinyl. Blast it and enjoy.

no.nine, Casagrande, karmaman and 3 others like this.
  21. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I have an original UK Young Americans LP, but I'm tempted by the new reissue as it has the textured sleeve, lyric inner and insert. Just a far nicer package overall.

Please can anyone let me know if this record sounds good and is comparable to the UK pressing I have? Thanks.

22. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

If you're lucky enough to have one, not many people are.

SoundDoctor likes this.
  23. SoundDoctor

Ryko never remixed Young Americans. Low has bloated bass, but "Heroes" has the same thing IIRC and was ruined with volume and distortion issues.

24. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Is the Parlophone Diamond Dogs that much better, than the UKRCA?

25. Tim Bexter

Tim Bexter Well-Known Member

Heroes distortion... i bought fixed jewel case release. i think Heroes 2017 Remaster EQ has no problem about EQ.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.