POLL: Best David Bowie Parlophone Reissue

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SoundDoctor, Oct 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dbstay

Dbstay Senior Member

Young Americans vinyl is perfect.

zither, Man at C&A and SoundDoctor like this.
  2. Zongadude

Zongadude Music is the best

The man who sold the world is my obvious first choice: the album sounds fantastic in this reissue, and we've got the original UK cover with the original textured feel. What's not to like?

Than I pick Pinups: I've never really liked it before hearing the wondeful remaster ! It makes the album suddenly come alive !

And then, I choosed Let's dance, because I cannot stop listening to the 2018 version since friday. It sounds so good and it breathes, at last, after a long series of bad sounding cd masters.

(I've got the Lp box sets, and my comments are vbased on them)

TonyCzar likes this.
  3. zombiemodernist

zombiemodernist Forum Resident

The gold Ziggy reissue I picked up sounds awesome, as @Ben Adams says, it’s a repress of the earlier AAA reissue, and the gold wax is dead quiet.

What prevents me from recommending a lot of these reissues is that Bowie’s stuff isn’t really that uncommon or pricey. To those discussing it, I would note that unlike “Low” and “Heroes” a clean OG UK press of “Lodger” is like a $15 record in Europe, so even with international shipping it’s still beneath the price of the reissue. If anyone digs in Euro shops it turns up all the time, compared to the others in the Berlin era. Very solid sound to that one.

Most of my Bowie vinyl is US Sterling, first pressings or early reissues which are also usually under $20 and sounds great. The most impressive Bowie I have in my collection is an early UK repress of Hunky Dory I got for $10 in VG condition. Now I’m looking to upgrade because this thing is dynamic with some crazy slam and treble. Much better than the reissue needledrops I’ve heard, even semi-beat up, I still turn to it before a digital copy.

erowid and SoundDoctor like this.
  4. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Not a myth. I've thought Lodger sounded lousy - soft and lacking power - since I bought it when I was 14 in 1980.

5. olsen

olsen Senior Member

Sounding "perfectly fine" is a good description of the basic fidelity but the original mix itself is thin and lacking in power. The drums don't push at all

Solace and Ben Adams like this.
  6. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

^^^ This.

7. SCOTT1234

SCOTT1234 Senior Member

You folks want it to sound different. I think it sounds good as it is. That's ok by me. We've heard the remix. You might think it's an improvement, I think it's lousy. If you're talking about a lack of power the new mix certainly does a good job of removing the power from boys keep swinging and red sails. The power doesn't all come from the drums.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
    zither likes this.
  8. SNDVSN

SNDVSN Forum Resident

Man Who Sold The World for the original artwork but mine has pretty bad rumble. Have to agree with a previous poster, the original Lodger vinyl sounds fantastic.

zither and zombiemodernist like this.
  9. Zapruder

Zapruder Just zis guy, you know?

I must have gotten lucky with my Bowie reissues, because mine all sound fine. Actually like the low end on Low (it always sounded kind of thin to me, though) and Heroes sounds aces. I did buy the revised stand-alone master, so maybe that has something to do with it?

10. Halloween_Jack

Halloween_Jack Senior Member

Same here, and I went through two box sets, and then a stand alone purchase to try and get a rumble free pressing. Even ignoring that I wash’t impressed by the somewhat muddy sound of the mix.

Ditto on the original Lodger pressing too - superb!

11. ShockOfDaylight

ShockOfDaylight Forum Resident

My votes for best sounding reissues in the series so far:
    The Man Who Sold The World
    Pin Ups
    Diamond Dogs

SoundDoctor likes this.
  12. Dylan Terhune

Dylan Terhune Forum Resident

I've been slowly adding all these to the collection and they are phenomenal. Just got Station to Station and it blew my mind.
    Pinups and Diamond Dogs are en route

JoeWild and boboquisp like this.
  13. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

His three best albums!

14. Ghost of Ziggy

Ghost of Ziggy Forum Resident

Never heard any of them sadly.

15. cmcintyre

cmcintyre Forum Resident

Perhaps you know this by now (your post was 18 months ago); most of the UK RCA albums covers are derived from the original US albums - Aladdin Sane & Pinups being the exceptions. Most suffered to some degree in their reproduction. The UK Young Americans suffered more than most - the textured sleeve and lyric inner of the original design were not reproduced.

Young Americans is the first of the RCA albums that the Parlophone reissue covers resembles the US packaging - although even then, it is the UK labels that are mimicked.

Sound wise - I have not played a Parlophone copy, though the original US LP (APL1-0998) is excellent and may be a good alternative as it's not seen as desirable as it (perhaps) should be.

16. maui jim

maui jim Forum Resident

Was surprised by my original choice of Ziggy. Changed it over past year for Space Oddity due to Conversation Piece edition. Been happy Moonlight came out.

Dylan Terhune likes this.
  17. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

That doesn't make sense, since the FY box set version is considered inferior to the CP rereleased 2009 version.

maui jim likes this.
  18. robcar

robcar Forum Resident

I went with Hunky Dory, Stage, and Never Let Me Down. The first because the remaster is, to me, the closest that the remasters have come to replicating the original LP and RCA CD from a sonic standpoint. The second because I think the sound is much better on the remaster (it's not a remix, at least as far as I can tell; David Live was a remix) and we have some additional tracks added to the original double LP. The third because I found the remix very interesting and, in many cases, an improvement over the original version of the album - unfortunately, one song from the original album was omitted, which is really almost unforgivable but was apparently what Bowie wanted. Of the other remixes, the only one that I think is worthwhile is the remix of the David Bowie aka "Space Oddity" album. However, that remix didn't force me to reconsider the merits of the songs the way that the Never Let Me Down remix did.

19. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Parlophone "David Live" didn't give me a headache, but their "Stage" did.

20. Nitrous

Nitrous Forum Resident

One of the most important music icons in the history of music. Why on Earth don’t they bite the bullet and do AAA vinyl releases with appropriate quality cover art?
    Especially of the 70’s output up to and including Scary Monsters. The demand is there I’m sure.

21. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Ziggy.

Dylan Terhune and siebrand like this.
  22. siebrand

siebrand music lover

for me too.
    Ziggy (& Stardust)

Echoes Myron likes this.
  23. rjp

rjp Senior Member

question:

how many labels has david bowie been on?

303 Squadron likes this.
  24. SCOTT1234

SCOTT1234 Senior Member

RCA and EMI for the longest stretches of time. Before RCA there was Mercury, Philips, Decca and Pye for his solo stuff. But there's more recently I think. Arista, Virgin, Columbia. I guess some are subsidiary labels of larger global companies. So, probably 10 or more

Last edited: Apr 24, 2020
  25. rjp

rjp Senior Member

so odd, he must have had a very bad lawyer/agent in the beginning of his career.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.