Poll . Cost of your system

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Tim 2, Jun 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE Thread Starter

Over kill or under kill, if your happy with your setup little else really matters. :)

2. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

The number of source components can also affect the cost of a system. I have a Vinyl playback system, an SACD/CD playback system, a DVD-Audio playback system and a FM tuner with a scope and an antenna on the roof. There is also much invested in wiring all these things together, including hiring an electrician to run dedicated lines, and let's not forget about room treatment.

Now, I have just started to do Hi-Res down loads, that means I need to include the computer in my system cost. Not to mention that aftermarkent USB cable is recommended. I'm still on the fence about Hi-Res down loads. I don't know where to put my computer.

Tim 2 likes this.
  3. Mike in OR

Mike in OR Through Middle-earth...onto Heart of The Sunrise

Thanks Metralla, appreciate it. You have an excellent set up as my friend. :righton:

Last edited: Jul 16, 2014
  4. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

We have the same aging CD player, so you must be dying to upgrade by now. Right? Right!! Let me know how it goes. I'll be ready in a few years.

5. Mike in OR

Mike in OR Through Middle-earth...onto Heart of The Sunrise

Oh no....many other upgardes are coming before that Cary, like a brand new pair of S3s!

Outside of having a DCS stack, I am happy with the Cary.

jh901 likes this.
  6. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

Does anyone think that VPI's self-described "entry-level" room (presumably LP as single source) will come in at under $10k MSRP? My prediction? Only if they go with a speaker like the KEF LS50 can they even come close.

7. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

I'd expect an entry level room to come in between $12,000 and $20,000. Maybe up to $25,000. Non-audiophiles who've never owned high performance gear will not come to terms with how amazing fidelity can be unless they find someone to help them out. Alternatively, blissful ignorance will continue to be on display here at the forum. Sadly.

8. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

If a person is satisfied with the sound of their own system, I say, great. Not everyone is willing to put a lot of time, money and resources into a home audio system, and that is fine by me.

Tim 2 and Mike in OR like this.
  9. nm_west

nm_west Forum Resident

I'll take blissful ignorance over blissful arrogance any day. :sigh:

10. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

Why should this be an either/or question? Neither is desirable nor necessary. There also seems to be a common misconception here that those arguing that better (usually more expensive) systems sound better than some more modest systems are displaying arrogance; I think it's just stating the way things are. I don't see arrogance stating that, especially when I (and many others with that opinion) don't have especially expensive or fancy systems.

Johnny Vinyl likes this.
  11. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Well, you have ignorance nailed. Arrogance seems to be a good fit also. Or you could try to learn something here from those who actually care about audio fidelity?

12. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Same here. So why does the attitude that those seeking better are fools come around so often? The lo - fi is cheap and easy and the result is pedestrian. Those who want more come here to learn and the road is made more difficult by the same members we all know so well.

Tim 2 likes this.
  13. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE Thread Starter

I'm not sure where this all began or how it was conceived.
    Are local audio club has just a whisker over 100 members, I can't think of a one thats either ignorant nor arrogant.

Shawn likes this.
  14. nm_west

nm_west Forum Resident

What have I posted that leads you to believe I don't care about audio fidelity?
    I'm not disagreeing with your message, just the delivery.

jimbutsu and Shawn like this.
  15. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

What sort of alternative delivery system would you suggest?

16. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

For starters, stop referring to member's inexpensive systems as lo-fi, pedestrian, barely scratching the surface, etc.

Buff Terror and sami like this.
  17. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Entry level? Nah, that's harsh too. The best thing to do is what? Let the lo-fi guys convince open minded beginners that, for example, lossy will sound more or less that same as redbook or SACD on a better system?

We all started with very modest, entry level "lo-fi" systems. At least I did. Thankfully no one tried to convince me that the pricey gear all sounds the same as any other Best Buy special. Sadly, that's what we have here all too often. It isn't right that those who have no passion for this hobby expect to rant without being called out.

18. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

That's meaningless; don't say what not to do. How do you tell someone that their idea of good audio system sound isn't, and there is better sound reproduction to be had?

19. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Exactly. And how does one counter the "exaggeration argument" where a member with NO EXPERIENCE states over and over and over that the improvements to be had are rather insignificant and are exaggerated? And how about the old "you think you heard" expectation bias? I don't want the lie that, say, a well regarded $30,000 digital front end sounds the same as an Oppo to be perpetuated. And I don't want someone coming along with yet another logical fallacy such as "oh, so now I need a $30 grand cd player to enjoy music...pffft....".

Good grief.

Tullman and Tim 2 like this.
  20. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

I'll just start a Cost Of Your Home poll and tell everyone that lives under a certain dollar amount home that it's pretty lackluster and it barely scratches the surface of what a real home should be like.

Buff Terror, sami and Shawn like this.
  21. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

I assume you mean "house" rather than "home"?

22. missan

missan Forum Resident

The enjoyment of listening to music we like over a system we like seems to me not bad, seems to fullfill the purpose. How it really will sound at our homes will vary very much, not many people are listening to exactly the same type of sound quality, never mind if we call our system high-end or low-end. There will be a tremendous amount of different sound qualities, if we were to listen at people´s homes.

Personally I don´t think we should have that much opinions as a whole about what people are enjoying and really like, neither about the music they like, or the system they enjoy it on.

I don´t need any approvements considering what is good enough sound when listening to music I like, I presume not many do really. If we are not really in the position to have anything interesting to teach, why should people be interested in learning anything?

23. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

What lengths will people go to in twisting another's words in order to "win" a fight which doesn't exist?! Who'd have thought the SH Forum may have that answer. The use of logical fallacies here very well could be unparalleled.

Remind me why you are visiting here?

24. missan

missan Forum Resident

Not that I have to, but I truly believe there are many here with interesting thoughts and experiences, and also knowledge in many different areas.

Tim 2 likes this.
  25. nm_west

nm_west Forum Resident

Tact

Buff Terror, Daz and sami like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.