Poll . Cost of your system

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Tim 2, Jun 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

Hardly. But not really relevant as it's more about priorities, expendable income and other factors (college for kids or those new speakers? Hmm.)

Looking over some of the comments on this thread, it seems a new term must be invented/deployed:

Audiophiliac Insecurity.

Many of us, if I may be so bold, are quite happy with our systems (our wives are too) that "barely scratch the surface", while others seem to have a compelling need to flaunt their own, so much so they need to denigrate, belittle, and ridicule others who don't measure up to their own self-made definitions.

It's a bit High, scratch that, Grade schoolish.

Rock On.

2. jimbutsu

jimbutsu WATCH YÖUR STEPPE

In fairness, I think the insecurity can go the other way as well, where people with "surface scratching" systems get self-conscious and insist that there's little or nothing to be gained from the more expensive gear.

As with most things, the truth is somewhere in the middle.

Yeah, a lot of spendier stuff can often make more of a difference than one side would care to admit, but the law of diminishing returns applies more than the other side would care to admit.

Buff Terror likes this.
  3. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

You just did!

4. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE Thread Starter

Just checked back in to see the latest results of the poll, surprised there wasn't more mega buck systems on this site.
    8 out of roughly 600 over $200,000 that participated, and only a total of 28 over $75,000.

jh901 likes this.
  5. Daz

Daz Forum Resident

I'm surprised at your surprise. $10K buys a LOT of musical happiness. $200k buys a house, not a stereo. $75K buys my car, my wife's car and the cabriolet she won't let me buy. With change.

Buff Terror, sami and rbp like this.
  6. Rodney Toady

Rodney Toady Waste of cyberspace

An arm and a leg...

jh901 likes this.
  7. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

You and others who feel this way are going WAY out your way to make a mountain out of a molehill. Denigrate, belittle and ridicule oh my!!! Dramatize much? Or frankly, completely fabricate to make yourself feel good. Flaunt!? LOL. Yeah, let me flaunt my pre-amp. IN. YOUR. FACE.

What is wrong with being over the moon about trading up to a 2015 Golf GTI yet, at the same time, not needing to be told that there is none better? That luxury sports sedans are a waste and that $25 grand for a terrific car is the peak?

It is a fact that a $10 grand system, assuming 25% discount from MSRP, cannot even touch a system costing twice, three, four, or five times as much (all else being equal such as acoustic treatment, etc). So considering that spending $80-125grand isn't out the question, then the $10 grand system, relatively speaking, is scratching the surface. Now then, this theoretical $10 grand system is going to be pretty darn nice and better provide a great deal of satisfaction. Most won't be interested in going further, but there is much, much, MUCH more incredible fidelity to be had.

8. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Whatever price(s) I paid for my system, I could never let my wife know. :)

And even I got something for free (which has happened) and told her it was free, she's surely say "stop bringing home more stuff" :laugh::laugh:

Tim 2 and PROG U.K. like this.
  9. The Good Guy

The Good Guy Forum Resident

I spent more than I wanted to . I was in a band for a few years & that didn't help because I heard real instruments at real levels all the time so it made me more fussy. I am happy with my system now.

10. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

So, what did you end up with?

I'm not sure what "real levels" means. The sound of real instruments which aren't Eq'd and amplified to death aren't all that loud in a nice room are they? I do gather that many only appreciate Thor level reproduced sound, so I wasn't sure if that's what you intended. I don't want the sound of my system to inflict physical pain.

11. ElizabethH

ElizabethH Forum Resident

IMO discussing the costs of ones system with others is like arguing about how many angels can dance on the head of a pin. All I can say is different strokes for different folks. and that most folkd can enjoy music on whatever they want to use for it. Regardless of what they paid for it. The 'mine is better than yours' stuff belongs on the grade school playground.

octaneTom, Cheepnik, kfringe and 4 others like this.
  12. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

5.5k for me. When i upgrade my speakers, it will be about 6.5k and i wont be looking to spend any more!

13. apesfan

apesfan "Going Ape"

I sold and traded and made deals over theyears so I will only give the cost of what I have at this precise moment. I couldnt believe after looking at the receipts and it was about 40 grand. It was not what I wanted but after the extras, tweeks, upgrade tubes, some special cables, and the gremlin of it all -sound absorbtion and diffraction pads bass absorbtion and the cost of all those is about 4 grand.
    I could not beleive it but its obvious, just as with everything in life it all adds up right nder your nose. Since it took about 5 years I did not really feel it, most of the time. Take care, John M.

14. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

I'm glad I'm happy with my main system that cost me less than $3000 (in earlier years dollars).

15. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

The cost of my system looks high but it was acquired one piece at a time over years. I also keep good gear virtually forever. :)

So it's not as onerous to assemble as it appears if you look at total system value.

Tim 2 likes this.
  16. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Over the weekend I upgraded my system quite a bit. I plunked down over $200,000, so now I am part of the inner circle. I can't believe what I fool I've been to live with such an inferior system all these years. My system is now so resolving that I can actually see the audio transients. The bass is so solid and authoritative that I often soil myself when listening to Techmaster PEB and dubstep. My kitten was able to open my bunker door to my audio compound and I accidentally made it explode from the canon fire in the Telarc version of The 1812 Overture. What a mess!

I think I've finally scratched the surface and it is an amazing experience. You people who have not experienced these things have yet to fully experience all that recorded music has to offer.

Buff Terror, Cheepnik, Kyhl and 9 others like this.
  17. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Money lost over the years buying, trading, selling, upgrading- etc exceeds current system cost. Downgraded years ago and I have no interest in making any changes. In fact, I barely listen anymore.

18. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

I find that sad (barely listening anymore). My only interest in audio gear is to listen to music. With streaming sources like YT, Pandora, Spotify, etc., I find I listen now more than ever. I have what most here would consider middling level gear but it reproduces music in a pleasing manner that makes me want to turn it on and LISTEN. So many conversations here are more about listening to the system and not the music that I sort of wonder why these folks even bother. The day I ever discuss a cable opening up the soundstage is the day I'll, well, I don't know but it'll never happen! :D

sami and Tim 2 like this.
  19. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

i've simply lost interest, it has nothing to do with audio gear.

nm_west and Metralla like this.
  20. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE Thread Starter

Down grading can have that effect.

21. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

That's not what I wrote, stop being a jerk.

Tim 2, nm_west and Metralla like this.
  22. jimbutsu

jimbutsu WATCH YÖUR STEPPE

I can soil myself without spending one single cent, much less 200 grand.

So there.

Buff Terror and Synthfreek like this.
  23. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

I confess that I haven't fired up the stereo in a few months.

nm_west likes this.
  24. Welly Wu

Welly Wu Active Member

Presently, this is my audio system:

Resolution Audio Opus 21 CD player, power center, extra sources, and S30 power amplifier: $8,00.00 USD
    Ray Samuels Audio Emmeline HR-2: $875.00 USD
    Sennheiser HD-800: $1,500.00 USD
    AKG K 702: $350.00 USD
    Shure SE-846 CL: $1,000.00 USD
    Ultimate Ears Ue-10 PRO: $950.00 USD
    Ultimate Ears Ue-18 PRO: $1,450.00 USD
    Etymotic Research ER-4P with 4S adapter: $300.00 USD
    Lenovo IdeaPad Y510P: $1,800.00 USD
    Blue Jeans Cable RCA stereo interconnects: $35.00 USD
    Blue Jeans Cable S/Video: $25.00 USD
    Volex 17604 power cords: $25.00 USD

Soon, I will add this product:
    Oppo Digital HA-1 DAC/headphone amplifier: $1,200.00 USD

Grand Total: $17,510.00 USD.

Mind you, this is what I paid for each component.

Tim 2 likes this.
  25. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

And yet when I read here about people listening to their systems rather than the music it's almost always people with relatively modest (less than $10k MSRP) systems. :confused:

jh901 and Tim 2 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.