Poll . Cost of your system

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Tim 2, Jun 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gmitchel

gmitchel Forum Resident

Speakers: $500
    CD Player: $200
    Used Amp from 1980s: $30
    Headphones: $180 (2 sets)

2. BrewCrew82

BrewCrew82 The Most Notable Member

Damn...a $200k system would be fun :)

Tim 2 and kfringe like this.
  3. brooklyn

brooklyn I'm all ears

I did the math not long ago... Retail price for my system is 14k.

4. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

From a look at my profile you would not believe my equipment amounts to U$ 5000. And the mewest piece of quipment were bought 7 years ago ! This is the most expensive country in the world.:realmad:

5. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Yeah. I was just pondering what my existing system would sound like if a sales rep from Naim dropped by with their new flagship pre and power amps. While this wouldn't be a real-world demo since my speakers and Cd player aren't in that league, I tend to believe that I'd learn a great deal about what's possible.

6. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE Thread Starter

Does the cost of your system the age or the place you live really matter ?
    My systems have gone through decades of up grades and no doubt sound wonderful, but I often ponder, do I enjoy music more? :tsk:

Regards
    Tim

jimbutsu likes this.
  7. 56GoldTop

56GoldTop Forum Resident

I would really rather not think about it. It's a kill joy. :sigh:

8. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

No idea. Some of my best gear was free.

Linger63 likes this.
  9. The Pinhead

Well I cannot but wonder how much better a rig that money would have gotten me in the USA. The only thing I was lucky enough to get at USA price were my Klipsch towers, and I'm talking Klipsch direct, not Amazon sweet deals. Turned out the seller had smuggled them into the country and could not sell them because people here want JBL and few has even heard of Klipsch !

The rest of it cost aprox 3 times it's USA price, and that in a country were salaries are waaaay lower than there. And yes I enjoy music more the more I manage to upgrade my rig !!

kfringe likes this.
  10. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

I'm up to about 8 grand for the main system.

11. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Does Argentina have huge import tariffs?

12. The Pinhead

Yes, the highests. Im in the 50.1% on the poll and that's a surprise ! But I peruse the profiles and feel like the poorest on the forum. I was very happy when I posted pics of my receiver and was told how good it was though:)

13. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

Ouch!

The Pinhead likes this.
  14. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

A good poker player doesn't show his hand.:targettiphat:

15. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

Argentina pricing: $2500 US for a Rega Brio R doesn't sound like a good deal, as much as I really like that integrated amp. Not to mention English brands are likely not to be had.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2015
  16. chuck rodgers

chuck rodgers Forum Resident

under $4000. but I still need a turntable, so that could jack up the total quickly.

17. Ephi82

Ephi82 Still have two ears working

I would like to see a poll on how much money people spent on listening space sonic treatments as compared to hardware.

An expensive system in a untreated crappy room will sound like an inexpensive crappy system...... This probably obvious to many, but should be included in the discussion.

The Pinhead likes this.
  18. norman_frappe

norman_frappe Forum Resident

Members should help you out by organizing a steaks and wine for hi-fi cross-border trade deal!

Last edited: Jan 14, 2015
    The Pinhead likes this.
  19. Pneumonic

Pneumonic Member

+1 ......... room/speaker performance errors are measured in 10's of dB's whereas amps/digital sources typically measure in hundredths (or less) of dB's.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2015
  20. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

The SRP of acoustic treatment can be super expensive, but how are you going to account for DIY? No one is going to build my speakers, for example, at a fraction of the SRP, but I tend to believe that my $500 investment (not including time) for DIY cylinder bass traps comes pretty close to the performance of several thousand in ASC products.

Additionally, it doesn't cost anything to position speakers and listening position properly. All the hi-end gear in the world can't overcome poor positioning.

The investment in "hardware" is wasted to some degree if certain considerations are ignored irrespective of the size of the investment.

Robert C and Tim 2 like this.
  21. The Pinhead

Well, while I do agree with you, people place their equipment where they can as oppossed to where it would be ideal more often than not. I'm lucky enough my wife didn't object the placement of my rig in HER house for that would certainly have been a deal-breaker. A friend of mine has one speaker on a corner and the other ON TOP OF A TALL CLOSET by the oppossite corner across the room; he's bitter about it but he'd rather shoot himself on the foot than arguing WAF:doh:

22. jjhunsecker

jjhunsecker Senior Member

I'm poor, so I can't afford too much. My best purchase ever was an Oppo-93 universal player in 2012. I can finally listen to the SACDs (such as the Stones and Dylan hybrids) that I had, and the DVD-As as well (especially the Talking Heads brick). I have some low-budget Polk floorstanding speakers (Monitor 70), that sound great in my little NYC apartment

gojira and Tim 2 like this.
  23. TraneLives

TraneLives Active Member

Retail: 23,500 approx. Oh yeah, and one marriage.

chuck rodgers and Linger63 like this.
  24. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE Thread Starter

Nothing wrong with that, I had more fun tinker with my little systems and trying to get the most from them than I do now.

25. It's difficult to pin-point exactly due to the age of some of my components now but somewhere in the order of $25,000

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.