Poll: Do you dig George Michael?*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AdamCalifornia, May 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I like the Wham era.

2. CrashU

CrashU Forum Resident

I like him
    Faith and Older I can listen to when in the mood.
    very good albums.

Make It Big I like too.

3. Witney Devil

Witney Devil Well-Known Member

Talented songwriter with a decent voice. Went off the rails about 20 years back and recording wise has never really recovered. He coulda been a contender.

4. Do I dig dye-job Wham-Guy? NO! Just so we're clear...

5. StrayCat

StrayCat Active Member

6. Popmartijn

Popmartijn Senior Member

Or is then Duran, Duran?

7. ranasakawa

ranasakawa Forum Resident

Between can't stand and the last option.

8. Groggy

Groggy Forum Resident

9. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

He has a sense of humor about himself. I like that in musicians:

keyXVII and ARK like this.
  10. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Indeed! I prefer his cover to the Queen original, actually.

ARK likes this.
  11. TyphoonTip

TyphoonTip Forum Resident

Listen Without Prejudice is a genuine masterpiece. Before and after that album is sadly hit and miss.

ARK likes this.
  12. Pendulous Threads

Pendulous Threads Well-Known Member

Undeniably a great vocalist but as far as his genre and era goes, he was/is undeniably disposable. I am also sure that the fact that he disappointed thousands of girls when he came out probably didn't help his overall longevity. If he was the most played artist in Britain in that time span, he should feel fortunate. P.S. The park bathroom sex scandal was strange but whatever gets you through it I guess.

13. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

there's always money in the banana stand.

ARK and theMess like this.
  14. groovelocked

groovelocked Forum Resident

love him. Not so much as Wham! tho there was a few good tracks. I like him best funky.

15. peteneatneat

peteneatneat Forum Resident

A minor talent in every respect. His Wham material is some of the cheeziest crap I've ever heard. He'd have made a good cruise liner singer.

Old Rusty and Jackson like this.
  16. Jackson

Jackson Senior Member

17. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Ehhh, someone beat me to it!

18. DrAftershave

DrAftershave A Wizard, A True Star

He wrote "Everything She Wants". He wrote "Everything She Wants". The guy gets a free pass from me right there.

As long as he keeps to himself if we ever happen to be in the same bathroom somewhere in Beverly Hills. :D

What???

JeffMo and S. P. Honeybunch like this.
  19. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I normally hate pranks like that, but I must admit I think that one's funny, mostly because the guy will. not. stop. For the first couple of minutes, he comes across like an idiot hipster, but the gag gets funnier as it goes because of the repetition...

jeffrey walsh likes this.
  20. agaraffa

agaraffa Senior Member

I voted "He is okay". I don't find anything he's done offensive, but mostly what I've heard doesn't do much for me either. He has done a couple of songs that I love... Here's one of my favs:

21. Matt I

Matt I Forum Resident

Not my cup of tea, some OK songs but that Faith video has to go. I voted that I don't care for him.

22. Yannick

Yannick Forum Resident

I like him as a musician and songwriter but love his voice. He is one of the best singers out there.

His best work came with a core band: Hugh Burns on guitar, Deon Estus on bass, Chris Cameron on keyboards (I think it was).

I got introduced to his work when his live duet of "Don't Let the Sun Go Down On Me" with Elton John was all over the MTV. "Listen Without Prejudice" was the album of his which I got at the time and it remains his best. I can only hope that he has ended his cannabis consumption which led to him causing quite a few road accidents in Britain during the 00s (and seems to have slowed down his songwriting muse considerably since the 90s).

It's a shame this great voice doesn't feel the urge to sing more new songs for creating recordings. With a career as long as his, he could have a huge catalogue by now, but instead, it's just a very slim one. He might not like the album length but he could make a lot of his fans happy if he considered putting out new singles in shorter succession.

theMess likes this.
  23. WolfSpear

WolfSpear Music Enthusiast

Well... Give me Wham's "Final" and George's "Faith" and that's really as deep as I'll go.

Personally, I like his voice and I thought he was pretty sexy. A really good artist that just didn't last too long, unfortunately. There are some good cuts on "Listen Without Prejudice" but overall, still a tougher pill to swallow.

24. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

25. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

What's the difference between "i don't like him" and "i don't care for him"?
    I'll take those.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.