Poll - Do You Still Have Your First Speakers?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Gruni, Jan 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gruni

Gruni Forum Resident Thread Starter

What were they?

2. tyler928

tyler928 Forum Resident

Just replaced my Polk Audio Monitor 40 Series II with Epos Epic 2s. Still have the Polks, although I plan to get rid of them shortly.

3. Yes. Stashed in the back of a closet someplace.

Advent "New" loudspeakers.

kBear likes this.
  4. brew ziggins

brew ziggins Forum Prisoner

My first real speakers were a pair of Fried bookshelves, Q3s I think, purchased new in 1986. I believe they're still in service in my friends barn/garage just over the hill.

5. coleman

coleman Forum Resident

Mine were a pair of Polk 5jr+. Still use them and they still sound great.

kevintomb likes this.
  6. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

No. Some no name 4 way speakers as part of a package in the 1970's.

No. First "real" speakers were New Large Advents but they now have a good home. :)

kBear likes this.
  7. ek1psu

ek1psu Forum Resident

No. My first speakers were from a (low end) packaged rack system that I bought in '81, I think. I used money from my paper route (do kids have those anymore?) and paid $17 a week to Hess' Department store until it was paid off. The system was a Fisher 'Studio Standard'. I kept the speakers around until '98, which was long after I parted with the other parts of the system.

ben_wood likes this.
  8. TONEPUB

TONEPUB Senior Member

First speakers were AR-7s. Always wanted JBL L-26s and now have a mint pair.

9. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

I'm 60. I bought my Large Advents (first serious speakers) in 1973 and kept them for about a decade. I've gone through three sets of main speakers since. (JSE, Martin Logan and PSB).

kBear likes this.
  10. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Well-Known Member

Paradigm Titans. $220/pr.

Clanceman likes this.
  11. coffeecupman

coffeecupman Forum Resident

Sort of. I gave them to a friend, whose house I listen at.

I voted yes, since I'm still listening through them sometimes.

Athena F2's. I wish they still made them. They were a great answer for "I've got $400 to spend - what speaker should I buy?" questions.

We always try to keep them in the circle of friends.

One man's trash is another man's treasure.

ccm

12. lobo

lobo Music has always been a matter of Energy to me...

Elac ELX 8060, but I'm looking for a upgrade. I'm still angry with myself for not buying the KHL Model 17 I could have won on ebay for under hundred bucks...

13. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

Sony rack system speakers with 8 inch woofers. I blew the tweeters out of them, and still used them. Either way, anemic to say the least. I finally tossed them about 7-8 years ago.

14. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

First I remember was a portable stereo with a fold-down Gerard record player and detachable speakers. Lost it somewhere along the way.

15. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

My first speakers were Realistic Mach Two. Big woofer and a horn tweeter. A fun speaker for a college kid.
    I sold them about 10 years ago when I couldn't justify keeping them around just for nostalgia.

16. JimD

JimD Forum Resident

No. My first speakers were KLH 33s which I bought in 1973. I replaced them in 1978 with Epicure Model 11s which I still listen to daily. I still have several more expensive pairs out of all that I have owned, but none can unseat the Model 11s as my favorites.

17. bdiament

bdiament Producer, Engineer, Soundkeeper

Doug Sclar and Robin L like this.
  18. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Long, long gone. As are dozens of other speaker sets. I can't seem but to find space for two or three decent sets at home and three is a bit of a crowd. I do have computer speakers and some mounted on the wall in the kitchen though.

The technology has generally improved so much that we have smaller, more accurate speakers now. There are a couple of vintage types that are still worth owning but they are typically huge.
    -Bill

19. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

No, I sold my Dynaco A-25s, but my second ones, Large Advents are still here.

kBear likes this.
  20. dhoffa85

dhoffa85 Well-Known Member

No they were some yamaha bookshelfs. I gave them to my friends parents a long time ago.

21. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

Nope. Mine were Jensen two-ways in 1973 from Tech HiFi in Boston. I remember a blue-ringed woofer.

22. quicksilverbudie

quicksilverbudie quicksilverbudie

Back in High/School had DB+ tower speakers , cheap about $300 but the sound was fantastic. Also had a pair of BOSE 301's above (hung on chains) the DB+ for the wall of sound I was lookin for....both long gone early/mid 90s

sean

23. JBryan

JBryan Forum Resident

No...the 1st pr came with a late '60's Philco set up but they blew when the Philco went 'nova. Luckily, it was still under warranty so the service shop fixed the stereo but said the speaks were toast and gave me $150 to replace them. My dad took me to my 1st audio shop where they sold me a used pr of Bozaks for $100. I got rid of the Philco a few years later but kept the Bozaks through a couple of years of elementary school, high school, college and used them in a 2nd system until about 15 years ago. They now reside in a corner of the basement between a stack of underappreciated guitar amps and some McIntosh gear that I also can't bring myself to part with.

Style Counts likes this.
  24. atbolding

atbolding Forum Resident

Yep. JBL 2600s. Still in use for surround speakers.

25. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

My first speakers were AR-3s. Do not have anymore, alas.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.