Poll: Do you use a Rega or a 3rd party cartridge on your Rega turntable?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by oregonalex, Jul 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Art K

Art K Retired but not tired!

I have used both Rega and others on my Rega decks. I presently use a Rega Exact 2 on my RP6 and love it. I prefer it to the Dynavector 10x5 on a Rega table.

2. shutdown66

shutdown66 Forum Resident

Rega planar 3 + rb300 + goldring 1042

3. Nick Scott

Nick Scott Forum Resident

Planar 3 + RB300 + AT33EV
    In the 15 year life of the TT, it has had an Ortofon OM10, then a 40 mk2 stylus (twice I think), Denon DL110, 2M Bronze (didn't like). Have had the AT for about 6 months now & really like it.
    Never had a Rega cart.

4. buckeye1010

buckeye1010 Zephead Buckeye

Nick - curious why you didn't like the 2M Bronze?

5. oregonalex

oregonalex Forum Resident Thread Starter

Can you elaborate on what you prefer most on the Exact 2 compared to the 10x5?

6. geoffr

geoffr Lifeguard in a carwash

Rega P25 with a Shure V15VxMR, Jico sas

7. Art K

Art K Retired but not tired!

I have used a 10x5 on a Rega P3-24, Rega P5, Clearaudio Concept and Well Tempered Simplex. To my ears the 10x5 sounds like having a loudness contour on all of the time. It's like the garish look of someone who wears too much makeup or the smell of someone who wears to much cologne. It sounds like the tone color is oversaturated. I replaced the 10x5 with an Ortofon 2M Blue on my Well Tempered and much prefered the presentation even though it was not quite smooth enough for me. The 2M Bronze has now replaced the Blue and it is like a breath of fresh air compared to the 10x5. Clean and clear with just right amount of tone and detail.

On my RP6 the Exact is more subtle about the detail it brings to the table than the 10x5 or the Ortofon. The Exact has a wonderful midrange which is best tested with the human voice where to me it's better than either the 10x5 or the Bronze. The bass is a bit heavy handed but I always enjoy a full bottom, especially when it has as much subtle detail as the Exact has. The detail is heard as much as felt...visceral. The RP6 and Exact seem like they are made for each other...oh yeah they are.

vinylbuff, Shiver, Bob_in_OKC and 3 others like this.
  8. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Two Rega turntables, both with Rega cartridges. Happy vinyl listening.

Long Live Analog and Ntotrar like this.
  9. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

Two Rega turntables, both with Rega cartridges. Doesn't get simpler than that.

Lonson and Long Live Analog like this.
  10. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

Yeah 95 bucks and you can raise the height of the arm up to 3.5mm. if the height of the arm is 25mm, then raising it off the base 3.5mm is akin to raising the profile 14%. in engineering terms, the arm just became 14% less stable in its ability to maintain its position and 14% more susceptible to the acoustic effects of noise and vibration.

11. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

Yeah 95 bucks and you can raise the height of the arm up to 3.5mm. if the height of the arm is 25mm, then raising it off the base 3.5mm is akin to raising the profile 14%. in engineering terms, the arm just became 14% less stable in its ability to maintain its position and 14% more susceptible to the acoustic effects of noise and vibration.

12. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Rega RP6 + Exact 2 + GT Subplatter + White Belt = :edthumbs:

Long Live Analog likes this.
  13. oregonalex

oregonalex Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. It is a very clear and understandable description. Getting the right cartridge is the hardest thing. Most of the time, you have to buy them sound unheard and the mistakes are expensive...

14. rischa

rischa Forum Resident

RP3 with AT 150MLX. The Elys 2 the table came with distorted terribly much of the time. Had I known (sounded good at the dealer) I would have saved 200 bucks and bought the RP3 sans cart. The Elys reproduced bass well, though.

15. Long Live Analog

Long Live Analog Forum Resident

if you've got the GT subplatter by all means try the a23 Standard or Hommage mat...

16. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

I forgot that I added a Herbie's Way Excellent mat.

17. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

Yeah, but in non-engineering terms the arm became more susceptible to pointless commentary.

John K.

18. Nick Scott

Nick Scott Forum Resident

I found it very resolving, but just didn't find it relaxing to listen to. In my system it was too bright - maybe needed some additional loading. I went to the AT after this (my first LOMC) and it just sounded right straight away.

utahusker likes this.
  19. buckeye1010

buckeye1010 Zephead Buckeye

Yep! I got some loading resistors in parallel with the inputs on my Rega Fono pre-amp. It tamed it down.

20. Greg Carrier

Greg Carrier Senior Member

RP1 with a Nagaoka MP110 cart. Came with an Ortofon Om5e.

21. vinylman

vinylman Senior Member

Rega Planar 2 with a vintage Audio Technica AT 115e cart. I got the cart around 10 years ago when I bought an old - but rather good - Yamaha late '70s TT. I loved the sound (barely any IGD) and it sounds just as good on the Rega. As long as I can get the original AT stylus - just bought a NOS one - I'll continue to use the AT cart.

22. Campbell Saddler

Campbell Saddler Used Bin Explorer

On my P25, I have used a Zu Denon 103, a Dynavector 17D3, and currently a Dynavector 10x5.

23. Upstateaudio

Upstateaudio Senior Member

Dynavector 10x5 now with a Soundsmith retip on my P3-2000. Had the original before that for many years.

24. spintheblack72

spintheblack72 Forum Resident

Used previously Ortofon (came in deck when it was sold to me) then replaced with Grado Black which I switched to my replacement RP2, I now have a brand new RP3 and have Rega Elys 2 on it.

25. Shiver

Shiver Forum Resident

RP3, M97xe/Jico SAS, Denon DL-110

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.