Poll:Genesis-Lamb Lies Down on Broadway-What do you think is the best CD mastering?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Slipperman87, May 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Slipperman87

Slipperman87 Active Member Thread Starter

I have having a hard time deciding which is my favorite. The problem for the original mastering is not the low level hum, but the lack of bass. It sounds thin and doesn't seem to come close to the fullness of the vinyl.

2. Jeff Carney

Jeff Carney Fan Of Specifics (No Koolaid)

I don't really see the issue. You have three versions. How any of these but the first would make any sense for most people strolling through a place like this, I can't say:

1. The original: Sounds very good. A little bright compared to the vinyl versions I've heard, but quite a lot of bass to my ears. When those bass pedals kick in on "Fly On A Windshiled," that'll shake your floor.

2. The DE: No-noised to death. A really frustrating listen. What sounds like some smiley-faced EQ moves as well.

3. 2008 remix: Dynamics heavily squashed. The worst of the three.

Conclusion: Vinyl is best, but for digital, only the original is even close, IMO.

3. Slipperman87

Jeff, do you think the level shifted done to the Atlantic affected the sound in any way (the one I have). I remember you said that the first disc of the Atlantic had a flat sounding EQ applied or something like that.

4. Jeff Carney

No.

When I finally did a level matched test, I couldn't hear a difference between the Atlantic and the V/C.

5. Slipperman87

For some reason, I don't hear the infamous hum, but I do hear a heavy amount of hiss on the left channel and a little on the right (Is this the hum)

6. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

This ought to be interesting.

7. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Yea, it's about time we had a thread on the various Genesis CD's! :laugh:

On a related note, I found stone mint Virgin/Charisma CD's of SELLING ENGLAND and FOXTROT at Amoeba yesterday, $3.99 and $4.99. "This Compact disc is not digitaly recorded" :D

8. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

The 1st one is the easy pick for me. There are too many problems with the DE and the new one. => But I'm surprised that the vote is as close as it is.

9. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

The DE is fine with me. I have the Classic Records pressing....and I had the V/C original cd.....with all the hum...forget it.

10. Jeff Carney

The fact that you don't hear the hum reveals just how relevant it is.

It's so minor it's silly to even worry about it, IMO. And of course it's only noticeable during super quiet sections.

11. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Cue up The Grand Parade Of Lifeless Packaging and listen carefully to the intro. You'll hear it!

12. Slipperman87

well I'll be. Still, much ado about nothing. That is the only place I hear the hum.
    I hear more hiss than humming (I guess a good thing). I am still trying to figure out what certain something these old CDs are lacking compared to PORKY vinyl cuts.

Does anyone think the master for the DE is just the Old Cd mastering no-noised to death?

Another note of interest, the book version of the AMG music guide goes on about how bad the old Atco CD of Lamb is and how the DE comes really close to the spectacular sound of the Atco L.P (a spicy meatball indeed).
    The book condemns the old Atlantic CD of Live which everyone on the board likes (go figure).

danielbravo likes this.
  13. Slipperman87

I still find it funny when looking at very old posts that many people found the DE superior to the old Atlantic.

danielbravo likes this.
  14. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

You need a more revealing system ;)

I do prefer the first version over the remaster, I have yet to hear the remix.

15. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Yeah, I never understood that. Even before I knew I was an audiophile I was really disappointed in the DE. I had sold my original, popped in the DE and was bummed at what I heard. It sounded dead to me. I didn't realize it at the time, but that dead sound was the no-noise applied. Same goes for Nursery Cryme.

16. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

When I started posting on this forum in 2003, the general consensus was that the Genesis and Steely Dan remasters are superior over previous issues.

danielbravo likes this.
  17. ATSMUSIC

ATSMUSIC Senior Member

This was my first thought as well. :wave:

18. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

OK, the correct (IMO) choice is pulling ahead. I should have documented how close it was earlier. ;)

19. August1954

August1954 Forum Resident

It's a pity there's not an option for the mch layer on the latest reissues. Nothing comes close as far as these ears are concerned.

20. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I voted for the original, although my vote should probably not be counted because I only have two copies of this CD - Both of them are the Japan black triangle! By the way, I think that it sounds fantastic; but don't have anything to compare it with. Is there a 5.1 SACD of this particular album?

21. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I would add that if anything the Genesis black triangles (like Roxy Music) have a bit of "kick" to them - the highs might be slightly boosted. But it does not sound brickwalled or compressed in the modern sense at all.

22. foobar2000

foobar2000 New Member

Sorry, I've lost track. Are the Black Triangles different from the other early masterings?

23. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

24. Jeff Carney

In the case of Lamb (in fact, in the case of all black triangles except Trespass, iirc), the original UK Virgin/Charisma mastering was also used in Japan.

25. Dr. Merkwürdigli

Dr. Merkwürdigli Active Member

I find CD1 to be much better than CD2. CD1 has a very nice EQ and is IMO very close in sound to the best vinyl copies I have heard. It does not have the brightness issue that CD2 has. Some of the tracks on CD2 are close to unlistenable like Lilywhite Lilith. Ouch. Cd1:thumbsup:. parts of Cd2 :thumbsdn:.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.