Poll: George Harrison - Extra Texture (1975 Album) - Top 5 songs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dr. Pepper, Apr 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry? Thread Starter

I want to know how folks feel about these songs now. What are your 5 or so favorites? As a bonus let us know why you have picked your choices and if your thoughts on any of the songs have changed over time.

2. AKA

AKA Senior Member

I could only pick two songs from the album I actually like.

3. ZiltoidtheOmniscient

ZiltoidtheOmniscient Forum Resident

I'm still waiting for Scouse the Mouse!

4. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

This Guitar
    Tired of Midnight Blue
    You

The first online Platinum Weird version of This Guitar was by far the best version of the song. The reworked/remixed version of that they eventually officially released started to ruin everything that was great about the original remake. The version on this album is good, but in comparison very pale.

Not nearly enough guitar on this album.

forthlin and Dr. Pepper like this.
  5. urasam2

urasam2 A Famous Potato

Best track by far is Ooh Baby, supposedly a tribute to Smoky Robinson, though I can't hear it myself

rswitzer and Dr. Pepper like this.
  6. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

IMO, his best album. Ooh Baby (You Know That I Love You) is the only weak track.

Gethan Wall and Dr. Pepper like this.
  7. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

Here is the cover design, with the textured card and die-cut lettering that was so easy to tear.

[​IMG]

Dr. Pepper likes this.
  8. Changingman

Changingman Forum Resident

Curiously, my top five songs from this album are the first five. Ooh Baby is my favourite here. A homage to Smokey Robinson, a longstanding hero of George's. The Beatles had covered one of his songs on With The Beatles, as early as 1963.

You is the other top track here. One of George's best singles, it was inexplicably left out of the erratically-compiled Let It Roll best-of collection.

I think Extra Texture is very underrated. It's probably George's most soulful album. Not one to be listened to while driving or on a Saturday night out, preferably sitting on your sofa in a rainy winter morning.

9. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry? Thread Starter

10. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Well, I suppose I'd be shortchanging my forum nickname if I didn't participate in this one:laugh:

"The Answer's At The End"
    "Ooh Baby"
    "World Of Stone"
    "Can't Stop Thinking About You"
    "Tired Of Midnight Blue"

Mine too!:cheers:
    If you haven't already, feel free to post yer thoughts here:D:
    Read All About It...The EXTRA TEXTURE song-by-song discussion!

11. CrombyMouse

CrombyMouse Forum Resident

Wow! That must be the weakest Harrison's album IMHO since I only remember one song from it - "You", which is not that great itself.

Paper Wizard and OobuJoobu like this.
  12. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

I'd be happy if history had shown You and This Guitar.... to have been held back to enhance the next album, then Extra Texture need never have happened at all.

13. ohnothimagen

Sacrilege!:p:laugh:

OobuJoobu likes this.
  14. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

Zero. This is George's, "Sometime in New York City".

Bern and Jimmy B. like this.
  15. paper shoes

paper shoes Forum Resident

Took me a while to find this album to complete the solo collection back in the mid-1980s, I had to settle for a Fame budget re-issue imported from Germany.
    It has a very strong opening three tracks, side two by contrast is very weak to begin with. "Grey Cloudy Lies" is bleak but I could relate to it at one time "Legs" is a lot of fun but probably should have been a b-side. Overall I don't think it's as bad or as miserable as most people make out, I still prefer it to anything he put out after 33.

16. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Never liked the album cover.

YOU!!!!!!

17. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

The only ones that really resonate with me are "You" and "This Guitar." I may like some of the other slow, sad songs that plod on one after another (3 slow ones in a row is too many for me, and the 45-second filler "A Bit More of You" is not enough to pick up the tempo in the middle) if I isolate them away from the album which I hear as his depressing divorce album. It finally picks up the tempo at the end, but "His Name Is Legs" is a top contender for the dumbest piece of funk ever recorded.

ohnothimagen likes this.
  18. ohnothimagen

As I said in the ET song by song, it's sorta like George's Blood On The Tracks.
    If "Legs" is supposed to be funk, George clearly had a very broad idea of what constitutes "funk":laugh:

19. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

I could only pick 7 favourites from this album.

ohnothimagen and Changingman like this.
  20. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

"You"

That's it.

21. Digital-G

Digital-G Senior Member

I LIKE this album. And the album cover. Don't understand why so many people don't like it. The Answer's At The End is an overlooked classic.

"Scan not a friend with a microscopic glass".

My favs:

The Answers at the End
    This Guitar Can't Keep From Crying
    Tired of Midnight Blue
    Can't Stop Thinking About You
    His Name is Legs

I don't understand half of what the words are in 'Legs' but I'm pretty sure it's funny. I would have liked You if it wasn't so 'chipmunky' and sounded like George did a blast of Helium before singing - it's catchy and could be the best song here, but....

ohnothimagen likes this.
  22. Tord

Tord Forum Resident

The Answers at the End
    This Guitar (Can't Keep From Crying)
    World of Stone
    Tired of Midnight Blue

Bern likes this.
  23. JDeanB

JDeanB Senior Member

Tired Of Midnight Blue
    You
    The Answer's At The End

24. Basenote66

Basenote66 Forum Resident

Basically ignored here in the UK - no idea why.

It’s not George’s best album but was really easy to pick five strong song on here.

blutiga likes this.
  25. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

I thought the album was a bit of a comeback for George in the UK, with some good reviews in MM and from John Peel. I think it actually charted there (#16), whereas Dark Horse did not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.