Poll: George Harrison - Extra Texture (1975 Album) - Top 5 songs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dr. Pepper, Apr 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Basenote66

Basenote66 Forum Resident

Chatted higher than I thought - apologies.

Dark Horse is a really good album too.

blutiga likes this.
  2. gottafeelin

gottafeelin Forum Resident

I can only tolerate "World of Stone." Don't even really like that one...

3. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

No need to apologise. A #16 chart album is not exactly Dark Side Of The Moon :) I don't think George had any albums even remotely close to the UK top twenty for years afterwards until Cloud Nine. Interesting in retrospect. Why did Extra Texture sell so much more than Dark Horse in the UK when most consider them both flawed albums in one way or another? You would think Dark Horse would have still been closer to basking in the All Things Must Pass/Living In The Material World limelight and been the one to crack a chart position and then Extra Texture to be the sales drop off. I'm only surmising because I wasn't there in the UK.

4. The Quiet One

The Quiet One Forum Resident

It's one of my facorite records from George Harrison. My list may change as it now reflects my state of mind, but there it goes:

The Answer's at the End
    This Guitar (Can't Keep From Crying)
    World of Stone
    Can't Stop Thinking About You
    Grey Cloudy Lies

blutiga likes this.
  5. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

If I really, really stretch I come up with these 3:
    • You
    • This Guitar
    • Tired of Midnight Blue
    First GH album I didn't get upon its initial release (first of many, actually). As a cash-strapped highschooler, I was loathe to part with any more of my hard-earned, minimum-wage $$$ after the Dark Hoarse album/concert debacle.

6. majoyenrac

majoyenrac Forum Resident

Extra Texture is very underrated

Of course it has 5.5 good to great songs and then filler but I like the filler ok too. Here’s my top 5.

1. You (I think one of the best Harrisongs ever, I just wish it was recorded better...)

2. The Answers At The End. Extra credit goes for incorporating Foibles into a song and still making it work. I think this is a classic.

3. Can’t Stop Thinking About You. Harri-Soul. I love this one too!!

4. Ooh Baby (you know I love you). Dang that English boy with the slight, distinctive voice can sing (occasionally). He gives a great performance here.

5. This Guitar can’t keep from Crying. Another gem....

The 0.5 goes to A bit more of You (Reprise) as it’s good but not really a song

The rest pretty much defined filler but ain’t terrible (tired of midnight blue and legs kinda stick with me, world of stone never does).

I don’t get the rep on this one, I feel like a lot of GH albums suffer from the post ATMP law of diminishing returns, and yet Extra Texture is the one relative standout (3.5/5) in his post Bangladesh pre Cloud Nine career...

Gethan Wall and ohnothimagen like this.
  7. BGS

BGS Forum Resident

- You
    - This Guitar
    - Can't Stop Thinking About You
    - This Guitar (Platinum weird version - I may like this version better than the original)
    The rest of the songs are about average with "The Answer at The End" below average.

8. "You"
    "The Answer's At The End"

Followed by...
    "Grey Cloudy Lies"
    "World Of Stone"
    "Tired Of Midnight Blue"

Like "Dark Horse", a very underrated effort... also like "Dark Horse" short, but half great to very good... put the best of each together & you got a pretty terrific playlist/CD-R

Bern likes this.
  9. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry? Thread Starter

Think you meant to say this differently somehow. You are mentioning the same album twice.

10. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan

I voted for the only 3 I actually care for

1-You
    2-This Guitar
    3-Tired Midnight Blue

Can't Stop Thinking gets honorable mention for 4th.

There's really only 8 songs, a bit more of you is just a short reprise of You, & his name is legs is just a ridiculous joke song. Comedy skit

Of the remaining 8, I picked the 4 catchy ones, the other 4 are kind of slow & depressing.

Ooh Baby You know that I love you is Harrison's attempt at a "soul song" but his vocals on it & the whole album are kind of weak, his voice from the 74 laryngitis cocainitis hadn't fully recovered.

Extra Texture shouldn't have been an album, the best 3-4 or 5 should've been added to Dark Horse, maybe saved 1-2 & added to 33 1/3... Both good albums, that could've each used 1-2 more good songs. Extra Texture only has 1/2 an album of decent material & crappy singing mostly.

Bern likes this.
  11. No... but to clarify...

"Extra Texture", like "Dark Horse", is a short album, as well as an underrated one, wherein there's half of a terrific album - combine the two & you'd have something pretty formidable....

12. Solace

Solace Forum Resident

I’ve recently (re)discovered Extra Texture after years of being told it was a career catastrophe. I like it a lot. Yes, not all the tunes hit their mark but as his ‘soul’ record, I think it sounds great and the 2014 remaster is particularly well done. My vote for (in order of preference):

This Guitar Can’t Keep From Crying
    Tired of Midnight Blue
    Oooo Baby (You Know I Love You)
    The Answer’s At the End
    Can’t Stop Thinking About You

‘You’ and ‘...Legs’ are OK but the rest I don’t care for at all, so I skip them.

ohnothimagen likes this.
  13. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

It does not speak well of the album that A Bit More Of You made top 5.

I can't believe Legs is getting votes

Bern likes this.
  14. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Take out So Sad, Simply Shady, Bye Bye Love from Dark Horse and replace them with You, This Guitar, and Tired of Midnight Blue from this and you have an album that would at least be better than Somewhere In England or Gone Troppo (and Electronic and Wonderwall) and about equal to LITMW, but would still fall short of the rest of his solo albums.

15. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

"This Guitar", the last US Apple 45, I don't think it even charted. This is the only song I actually like on the album. "You" is OK, but not as good IMHO. This era of GH is easily forgettable in my book. Which is what made "Cloud 9" so surprising to me, Finally a good album from George. I didn't know he still had it in him!

16. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

IMO "His Name Is Legs" is not without its charms but it did not need to be nearly six minutes long!

blutiga likes this.
  17. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Name one! ;)

18. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Willie Weeks' bass intro!:p Actually the song has a pretty good groove in general, Weeks' and Newmark's rhythm section are probably the most redeeming factor about the song but I still don't think I'd call it funk...

blutiga, Arnold Grove and BeSteVenn like this.
  19. Arnold Grove

Fair enough about the bass intro, although I disagree about the groove!

ohnothimagen likes this.
  20. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

Not that you asked me :) But I like the oooha ooo ooo bits :D

ohnothimagen likes this.
  21. Arnold Grove

And people make fun of me for liking "Bip Bop". ... ;)

blutiga likes this.
  22. Bern

Bern JC4Me

Unlike Thirty Three & 1/3......I have trouble picking 5 from this LP. Thought it was a dirge then...and still do. Midnight Blue...Ooh Baby....Answer's at the End....This Guitar. You.
    Bern

ohnothimagen likes this.
  23. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

I like His Name Is Legs, but not nearly as much as Big Bop :D

Arnold Grove likes this.
  24. Arnold Grove

I never heard of "BIG Bop"...

25. Bern

Bern JC4Me

[​IMG]