POLL: How do you rate Paul McCartney's "Press to Play" album?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mrjinks, Mar 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

That is interesting. Hopefully the reissue campaign has made Paul re-evaluate and appreciate his solo career more than he used to do. It may even lead to him playing the occasional 'obscure' song during live shows.

Shak Cohen likes this.
  2. Phil_Lip

Phil_Lip Forum Resident

Just had to play Angry, he's right it kicks ass!
    The only thing I don't really care for is the answer back lyrics.

'I can't begin to tell you all the reasons why you're making me crazy - Crazy'

But still a good song.

3. Oyster Black Pearl

Oyster Black Pearl Forum Resident

I played PTP recently, for the first time in any years. Quite liked it, not as bad as I remembered. Made me dig out the multitude of 12" singles I had to buy at the time....

theMess and Paul H like this.
  4. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

Overall, I'm heartened to see that many people have voted it as a "pretty solid effort". I didn't really expect anyone (bar me) to give it top marks, but many have given it the next best rating :righton:

Rob Hughes, theMess and Frank like this.
  5. RonBaker

RonBaker Forum Resident

It has a nice cover photo.

6. RonBaker

RonBaker Forum Resident

7. RonBaker

RonBaker Forum Resident

8. Frank

Frank Senior Member

Wondering what you think of the cover photo, though.

mrjinks, theMess and Paul H like this.
  9. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

I'm guessing it's nice :)

I like it but I don't think it fit the vibe of the album. At the time I remember being annoyed that Linda was so prominent: it wasn't a Paul & Linda album and her reputation wasn't the best.

theMess and Frank like this.
  10. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

I fully agree. I like the song overall, and think that he sang it well, but I am also not a fan of the repeated backing vocals, which don't suit the song IMO.

I am hoping that any potential reissue will include at least one of the earlier, rougher versions of the song.

The potential was there, I just don't feel that the final version is quite right.

11. RAJ717

RAJ717 Forum Resident

That cover would have been more appropriate for Kisses On The Bottom. The back of the "Press" 12-inch single would have been a better cover.

[​IMG]

12. bagofsoup

bagofsoup Forum Resident

I think for a particularly dated-sounding recording, this has aged surprisingly well. I hated the single when it came out, and felt the same way about the album upon release. But now, in spite of the very 80's overproduction and instrumentation, I find this to be one of the most fun Macca releases ever. It's like McCartney II with a budget. I need to revisit some of the demos next!

13. Bullis

Bullis Forum Resident

Pipes for peace and this one. Average at best

14. 905

905 Senior Member

I think Footprints is one of Paul's finest songs :D

Carlox and theMess like this.
  15. gottafeelin

gottafeelin Forum Resident

Have you started a thread synthesizing all the results?

theMess likes this.
  16. bagofsoup

bagofsoup Forum Resident

Am I alone in my love for Broad Street?

theMess likes this.
  17. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

You might Rabbit, you might... ;)

theMess likes this.
  18. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged Thread Starter

I was going to last week, but will try to do so this week. Thanks for asking!

theMess and 905 like this.
  19. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

And don't tell anyone, but you'll be receiving a $5 bill in the mail from me. Just make sure that Driving Rain tops the results. If you do it right, I'll send another fiver. It'll be our secret.... ;)

theMess and She is anyway like this.
  20. gottafeelin

gottafeelin Forum Resident

Yes...yes you are.

bagofsoup and mrjinks like this.
  21. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

I'm listening to it now, and I agree with an earlier poster that it isn't as bad as I remember it being. The thing that bothered me in 1986 was the drum machine sound- and that dry ping-pong effect percussion. That still bothers me a bit.
    It is indeed interesting at least because it's experimental and unlike any other LP of Macca's.

22. Fivebyfive

Fivebyfive Forum Resident

OK, all of you Press to Play fans, here's some interesting news. I just read that next week, Hugh Padgham -- yes, that Hugh Padgham, the producer who tangled with Macca on this album and who said a few not very nice things about Bossy Paul -- is going to receive honors from the Liverpool Institute for Performing Arts (LIPA)-- yes, that LIPA, the one co-created and financially supported by Paul.

:faint:

Miracles do happen. Peace is at hand. Pigs are flying. Paul is, as usual, going to be at the ceremony passing out the honors. I guess the conflicts between Paul and Hugh are water under the bridge. Kind of nice to see!

Here's the short news item I read on the BBC wire:

Oh, and Paul's honoring his manager, too! :cool:

mrjinks and theMess like this.
  23. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

That is great news. Maybe he is repairing the relationship, so that Hugh will contribute to a potential PTP Reissue?

Fivebyfive likes this.
  24. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged Thread Starter

Ran out to the store just now - OK, I admit it, the LIQUOR store - and tuned into the "oldies" station (which, at #6 on my dial, rarely gets chosen). Anyway, I catch a rerun of an old Casey Kasem's "American Top 40" from late Sept, 1986. I suffer through a couple songs, but then it dawns on me - this ought to be about the time "Press" peaked on the charts and a quick internet search confirms it's THIS SHOW. Highly amused to hear Casey counting down the songs of the day. He's up to #26 (and Twist & Shout will be next). Press hit #21 that week. Then I can (mercifully) return to a movie or something more intelligent...

theMess, RAJ717, Frank and 1 other person like this.
  25. 905

905 Senior Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.