Poll: How do you rate Pink Floyd's "Delicate Sound of Thunder" album?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Johnny Reb, Jul 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Actually it was re-released on CD (remaster, cardboard sleeve) last year.
    Pink Floyd - Delicate Sound Of Thunder.

Psychedelic Good Trip likes this.
  2. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I read that this live album was also planned for a release in East Germany (around 1989) but it was cancelled (same with The Wall back in 1980).
    Instead, Delicate came out on Melodija (Russia) and was imported to the GDR.^^

3. Having become a teenager in the mid-80s, this was, for better or for worse, my era of Floyd - the tour I got to see them, the albums that I bought when they were released. I loved them when they came out, but I don't think they stand up well. I still enjoy Momentary Lapse and One Slip when I hear them on the radio. With all of the amazing music, and limited time to listen, this live set is not one I'll ever reach for.

4. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

I saw the tour and bought this when it came out. I loved the tour, enjoyed this release back then but haven't listened to it since the late 80s.

Too much percussion!! I did like what they did with the Momentary Lapse songs..although the live "single" version of Turning Away is better than what was here IMO.

So-so. I should probably listen to it again to see if I feel differently. Agree that "Pulse" is better.

5. CrazyCatz

CrazyCatz Great shot kid. Don't get cocky!

Back in tha day, a very long time ago.. This was my go to Floyd Album..but was VHS only(for me) but I had Video Recorder connected via Interconnects to my Amp and bloody BiG Speakers.. and it got played almost every weekend,bit like the Film version of The Wall.. I had no real knowledge of FLOYD at that point in time,and it was down to my Uncle and his Friends that I started listening to em.. Never looked back..well apart from at their Back Catalogue that is.. SOOoo for Me this Live album has special place.. Just wish they'd do a DVD/Blu-ray version..i have the Fatbox CD but would like a crisp Video Edition to watch..

6. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

Is there any footage anywhere of the tour that shows the neon drumsticks at the start of 'Time' in full effect?

CrazyCatz likes this.
  7. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

CrazyCatz likes this.
  8. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Well, that's what Discogs (the link) says.

9. zinan

zinan Forum Resident

It is quite difficult to me to estimate this album correctly. It is the very first live album Pink Floyd released in Russia. Long time it was the only vinyl which was my own disk. Of course, I listened also to other albums - but all of them were studio recordings and at that time I had them only on the cassette.
    I very much like to listen to this album still, but I can't precisely tell what is pleasant to me - this live album or my memories of past tense.

10. jonboy71

jonboy71 Forum Resident

Disappointed they left "One Slip" off of this.

11. jonboy71

jonboy71 Forum Resident

and "Yet Another Movie"

jonnyslb likes this.
  12. Derek Slazenger

Derek Slazenger Specs, rugs & rock n roll

Yes, the official VHS features this (but have a feeling you know this) ;)

CrazyCatz likes this.
  13. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

I should've clarified - footage that doesn't make it look like some sort of aftershave advert with all that soft focus and slo-mo.

14. kendo

kendo Forum Resident

It's a fine representation of those tours (I saw them twice) but having bought the LP when it came out, significantly I've never bought the CD. Some decent song versions, "Sorrow" in particular.
    ...but that sax guy...err...blows? :)

CrazyCatz likes this.
  15. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

Good story in Guy Pratt's book about Scott Page (the sax player) having his guitar lead repeatedly shortened as the tour went on for the songs where he joined in on guitar...

16. Derek Slazenger

Derek Slazenger Specs, rugs & rock n roll

Not that I know of.

17. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

Fond memories watching the VHS and then laserdisc

I still don't understand why oh why they haven't released it on Blu Ray/DVD yet

I'd love to have the COMPLETE concert

'One of These Days' alone is worth having it. IMHO, better than 'Pulse' version. Also, better versions of 'Money', 'Great Gig in The Sky', 'Wish You Were Here', etc
    And many of my favourite moments aren't included on 'Pulse', like 'Signs of Life' or 'On the Turning Away'

[​IMG]

18. drum_cas

drum_cas Forum Resident

The tv broadcast of Venice is what turned me into a pink floyd fan. It even got me back to drumming seeing that really enthousiastic percussionist! While my mothers went to see them live, i got into dsotm, wywh and the wall. This album will always be linked to my pink floyd introduction. Love it!

19. Solace

Solace Forum Resident

I think you'd like it to be Rachel Fury as The Wall...

Zack likes this.
  20. BadJack

BadJack doorman who always high-fives children of divorce

I had it on cassette when it came out, but that's long gone and I've never felt the need to replace it. I don't remember it being horrible so much as just unnecessary. However, I totally hate the way they handled the verses of "Comfortably Numb" in this era with the moany harmonies.

At least "Pulse" had that flashing light.

21. Zack

Zack Senior Member

You are right, the model's name is Jo Caine according to the internet. I'm guilty of poor research. Strictly speaking, I'm more of a Durga fan anyway.

[​IMG]

22. MicSmith

MicSmith Forum Resident

I got this with HMV vouchers and never took to it. The new material is OK, nothing special but the classic stuff is dreadful. Give me the original albums any day of the week. Love 70s Floyd with Rog but this is verging on a tribute band when they play the real Pink Floyd material. I'm strictly a 70s era fan with some interest in a few of the 60s songs. Not for me I'm afraid.

23. Since this is the tour that I saw th m n, for me it's a lot more solid and better than the second Gilmour live album. My only complaint--I really wish that Colin Moulding had joined them on bass and vocals. He would have done a good job of singing the Roger tunes (although Dave does just fine).

24. I think we've (as a group) had this argument before but I don't think it's a forgery just Dave's version of PF since he's the dominant composer. Personally, when Eofer described it as a "cover forgery" I used to tell people I knew that Roger's solo albums sounded the least Floyd like that one could imagine.

25. kendo

kendo Forum Resident

For sure "Pro's And Cons..." had a unique theme running through it. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.