Poll: How do you rate Pink Floyd's "Pulse" album?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Johnny Reb, May 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

Pompeii is on DVD, but might I suggest not just putting it in the player and hitting play. I feel you should start with the original film (not director's cut). The original film can be found in the "Features" menu.

I don't have the newer box set that includes it, so I can't speak for that.

tedhead and Rfreeman like this.
  2. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

As far as live albums go I find it very enjoyable.

3. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

In an era of all digital and pro tools approach, one of the things I immediatly noticed is the "this is an analog recording" written

It would be WONDERFUL to have a 3CD remastered version, with the full songs performed at Earls Court concerts, including 'One The Turning Away', 'Poles Apart', 'Loss For Words' and 'One Of These Days', and the 'Soundscape' included on the cassette only version

4. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Not bad, but I never listen to it, mainly because I don't have it (the same applies to Thunder). I have the DVD, though.
    I do remember when it was first released. I was 13 and I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw that blinking LED!

azjvm05 and andrewskyDE like this.
  5. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

It's a pretty solid live album, no doubt, but they pulled a Stones so soon after Delicate Sound Of Thunder (One studio album inbetween).

pablo fanques and andrewskyDE like this.
  6. deredordica

deredordica Music Freak

As a fan of pre-Wall Pink Floyd, Pulse doesn't even exist for me; I'm not even slightly curious about it.

xfilian and PinkIsTheSky like this.
  7. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Voted "not bad." It is probably better than that. Pink Floyd was a well-oiled machine and produced consistently good, professional concerts during the Division Bell tour.

tedhead likes this.
  8. Billy Infinity

Billy Infinity Beloved aunt

My favorite Floyd release of all time. Takes me back to that amazing tour. The version of "Shine On" is definitive for me, studio or live.

As others have said, I wish "One of These Days" (21/10/94) was added to disc two (it would have fit).

Big Pasi likes this.
  9. dkurtis

dkurtis sonoftheFather

Funny that you'd say that. I opened my LP box and removed the battery immediately after purchase - then wrapped it with plastic wrap and put it away. I did not want the battery to become an issue over time or the LED light to go out. Battery excluded, it is exactly like it was on the day of purchase. I listened to the CDs over the years. I attended the Dallas (Texas Stadium) concert from that tour. I wonder how many of those LP box sets have a working LED light now?

10. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

I just pulled my slightly corroded batteries out of the box. Will replace soon.
    I pretty much never listen to it, I find it dull.

11. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

Presuming you mean CD box (my LP edition has never had a blinking light), I alas chanced my luck once too often and ended up pretty much destroying the box on a battery-change (you could almost call it 'assault and battery'). I occasionally get pangs to repurchase a second-hand one, but I know it'll end up stored away in a box somewhere after a month or two.

12. dkurtis

dkurtis sonoftheFather

My LP box does have a blinking light. The battery was much easier to remove from the larger LP box.

13. PretzelLogic

You've blown my mind. I never knew that existed. Is the LED the same size as the CD? Where is it placed?

14. dkurtis

dkurtis sonoftheFather

My apologies to you PretzelLogic. You are correct. After your comment I went to look at my LP box and it does NOT have the light and is still sealed. It was the CD box that I took the light out of back in 1995. Again my apologies.

15. PretzelLogic

No worries!

Have to admit, there are times when I'm tempted to customise my LP set by adding the LED to the spineā€¦

16. dkurtis

dkurtis sonoftheFather

The bad news is there is no light - the good news is that it is still sealed. I did put Saran Wrap around it in 1995 because the original seal was partially coming off a corner. At least I remember the Saran Wrap correctly.

17. DirkGentlyUK

DirkGentlyUK Forum Resident

I wore out my VHS Pulse video. Don't know why anyone would want to listen to it without being able to watch the show though. Surely a DVD must exist and be the best way to experience the music?

18. dkurtis

dkurtis sonoftheFather

That tour had some amazing sound board bootlegs that rival the Pulse box for optional song content.

19. Eric Weinraub

Eric Weinraub Forum Resident

I think an important part of the collection and a much better effort than Delicate Sound of Thunder which was incredibly sterile. I saw both tours and its hard to believe that the DST sounded the way it did.

Billy Infinity likes this.
  20. Eric Weinraub

Eric Weinraub Forum Resident

..this poll made me go out and watch the video of On the Turning Away...sure, Pulse is better but this is such an awesome song and the video is fantastic.

21. dkurtis

dkurtis sonoftheFather

I need to get the DVD so I can actually see the concert. While I was on row 15 on the floor, I stayed annoyed all night at the people walking in front of me. Texas Stadium blocked off the floor from the rest of the stadium seating and had only about 15 portable toilets on the floor. They served beer so most people on the floor spent half the concert in lines to the toilet. It was so bad that men would go to the top of the ramp and try to urinate through the 20' fence blocking the ramp. The second night of their two night stay in Dallas rained so very, very hard that I do not know how anybody could have been on the floor under the open roof. The side stadium seating was always under cover but not the playing field. While I could say that I was there, the DVD would be a better viewing experience.

22. dkurtis

dkurtis sonoftheFather

I also notice that Discogs doesn't even carry the LP box release in the Pulse Discography. What am I not seeing, or have they really omitted it?

Pink Floyd - Pulse

23. Rekkerds

Rekkerds Forum Resident

That's the link to the video versions of Pulse.

Here's the Discogs link to the LP and CD sets:

Pink Floyd - Pulse

I have the 4lp set too. Not my favorite live Floyd by far (a "not bad" vote from me), but I like it better than Delicate Sound of Thunder. Dark Side doesn't do it for me from this tour. But performance aside the 4lp set is a really nicely done package, one of their best from that point of view.

24. dkurtis

dkurtis sonoftheFather

:oops: Thanks, I had serious doubts that I was looking at all releases. Discogs is usually outstanding for release references - however - I am not always at the top of my game in locating them. My batting average is in the cellar on this thread tonight. I'm going to bed. :shrug:

25. glennzo

glennzo Forum Resident

Haven't listened to it for years, but always thought it was a decent release partly because at the time it was the only official live Dark Side available.

I'd say though that the biggest disappointment with it was that someone foolishly decided to shoot the concert on 4:3 video tape (instead of film), meaning a proper widescreen release on DVD was problematic.

Ignominious likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.