Poll: How do you rate Pink Floyd's "The Piper at the Gates of Dawn" album?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Johnny Reb, May 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Johnny Reb

Johnny Reb RĂ©sident du forum Thread Starter

In the upcoming months I'm going to create a whole series of these threads on Pink Floyd's entire discography. This is inspired by @mrjinks 's brilliant series of threads on McCartney's discography; I will be using his threads as a template.

Here are the rules, almost copied verbatim from mrjink's threads! This poll, like the up-coming others, is designed for people familiar with the album in question and with at least some familiarity with some of their other catalog (for comparison purposes). If the poll doesn't interest you, please kindly move on to a thread that does. Please simply consider how YOU would rate the album in question, in comparison with the rest of the Floyd's discography!

About the discography I will be using: I will be posting threads on the core Pink Floyd albums, and their three live albums. Not compilations. I will not be posting these chronologically, and will take some time in between polls. At some point I will also post polls on the core solo albums of the five members; albums credited to them alone. These albums:
    Syd Barrett:
    The Madcap Laughs
    Barrett
    Opel

Roger Waters:
    The Pros And Cons Of Hitchhiking
    Radio KAOS
    Amused To Death
    Is This The Life We Really Want?

David Gilmour:
    David Gilmour
    About Face
    On An Island
    Rattle That Lock

Rick Wright:
    Wet Dream
    Broken China

Nick Mason:
    Fictitious Sports

Comments are welcome.

Alright, sorry for the long introduction, time to get to business! How do YOU rate this album? Note: you are voting on the UK version of the album. Album history:
    "The Piper at the Gates of Dawn is the debut studio album by English rock band Pink Floyd, and the only one made under founding member Syd Barrett's leadership. The album, named after the title of chapter seven of Kenneth Grahame's The Wind in the Willows[3] and featuring a kaleidoscopic cover photo of the band taken by Vic Singh, was recorded from February to May 1967 and released on 5 August 1967. It was produced by Beatles engineer Norman Smith and released in 1967 by EMI Columbia in the United Kingdom and Tower in the United States, in August and October respectively."

Tracklist:
    UK release

Side one
    No.
    Title Lead vocals Length
    1. "Astronomy Domine" Barrett, Richard Wright 4:12
    2. "Lucifer Sam" Barrett 3:07
    3. "Matilda Mother" Wright, Barrett 3:08
    4. "Flaming" Barrett 2:46
    5. "Pow R. Toc H." (Barrett, Roger Waters, Wright, Nick Mason) Instrumental, wordless vocals by Barrett, Waters 4:26
    6. "Take Up Thy Stethoscope and Walk" (Waters) Waters 3:05
    Total length: 20:44

Side two
    No.
    Title Lead vocals Length
    1. "Interstellar Overdrive" (Barrett, Waters, Wright, Mason) Instrumental 9:41
    2. "The Gnome" Barrett 2:13
    3. "Chapter 24" Barrett 3:42
    4. "The Scarecrow" Barrett 2:11
    5. "Bike" Barrett 3:21
    Total length: 21:08

[​IMG]

2. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

The very best Pink Floyd album.

3. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

Other than Astronomy Domine, I really don't like this album at all. Just not into Syd's stuff.

4. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

It depends what you are into.

But... without a doubt... ESSENTIAL listening for Floyd fans.

5. Joey Self

Joey Self Red Forman's Sensitivity Guru

I went with lower tier Pink Floyd. I've only listened to it a couple of times, and didn't like it for the most part. It is akin to watching video of Michael Jordan playing basketball in high school--more interesting than entertaining or fascinating.

But there were albums I liked less--OBSCURED BY CLOUDS and ATOM HEART MOTHER--so I didn't put it on the bottom.

JcS

Vinyl_Blues and DrBeatle like this.
  6. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

It's my fave Floyd album. It took some time to get the more whimsical tracks, but I like those a lot too.
    Also, it's basically the only full-length Floyd album; all the others are about 5 songs padded out with sound effects and jamming ;).

stavx79, BDC, pablo fanques and 5 others like this.
  7. SonicBob

SonicBob Forum Resident

In a lot of ways, Piper was a catalyst and gave the band an excellent canvas to draw from for future releases as well as offering a foundation from which they could build their creative muses from stem to stern. It's Syd Barrett's great splash of innovative and artistic splendor. Such a shame that he went off the rails so quickly, but Waters, specifically, would use Barrett's shadow as inspiration on future Floyd releases such as Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here and The Wall. Piper is certainly the most psychedelic of the Floyd canon, in my opinion.

8. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

It's a good album but it's soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo overrated it's not even funny.

9. townsend

townsend Senior Member

I'm not a big Pink Floyd fan (owning only Piper, Wish You . . ., Dark Side . . ., Meddle), but I thoroughly enjoy listening to Piper. It is an absolutely fantastic example of the psychedelic period of music.

10. boboquisp

boboquisp Magic Prism Eyes

Essential with a capital E and NOT overrated! :wave:

11. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

:shake:

Obscured By Clouds is top 3 Floyd... top 2 in my books.

12. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

I wish they would have made more like this one. An absolute classic for this band and in the history of rock. Iconic. A ground breaking foray into the progressive rock genre.

stavx79, goodiesguy, YardByrd and 4 others like this.
  13. Marvin

Marvin Senior Member

Middle choice. Some good stuff but I'm not a big Syd-era fan.

14. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

It's funny . When I was younger I didn't know anything about the Syd era but nowadays it's pretty much top 3 in my Floyd albums. Groundbreaking album imo.

15. Rodney Toady

Rodney Toady Waste of cyberspace

I love Piper, but I must say that I find it difficult to relate it to the rest of the Floyd catalogue - hence my vote to "a pretty solid effort".

thematinggame and starduster like this.
  16. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

Essential listening for music fans.

17. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

One of the band's best,

A touchstone in psychedelic rock music,

and also quite easily one of the best debut albums in rock history.

18. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

The best thing about it is syd. If this was his legacy it was duly informed by its incompletion.

19. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

It can't be more overrated than, say, Sgt. Pepper. Piper is after all still something of a cult album, not an album you get showed down your throat every minute.

20. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

Essential, and one of my favorite albums ever.
    It was Syd's Floyd, never seemed fair to compare it to the rest of Pink Floyd.

And it will never appeal to most people which is fine by me because I hate to share.
    (...it's not for you go away stay out...)

21. Only "mostly liked" this album when I was back in my 20's (basically the entire 90's).

But over the last almost 30 years Piper has slowly grown on me, quite a bit in fact. Easily a top-5 Floyd album for me now, and I really love it and all the associated early non-LP singles.

Longest gestation period (for me) of any album I really love (love), but was only moderately positive about for the first decade I had/knew it.

ODShowtime and DTK like this.
  22. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

Middle choice. Not even close to their best, but not bad.

23. Victor/Victrola

Victor/Victrola Makng shure its write

I say "Not Bad". It's an inventive and trippy album for sure, but if they had never released anything past the Syd era, I probably wouldn't be a big PF fan.

Doug_B and ronm like this.
  24. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

25. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Forum Resident

A masterpiece. A milestone in the history of rock and roll. You could clearly define the "psychedelic" movement with this album: It's all here. The synthesis and the apotheosis of the Psychedelic late '60s period.

Chris M, Old Rusty, stavx79 and 9 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.