Poll: How do you rate Richard Wright's "Wet Dream" album?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Johnny Reb, Nov 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Johnny Reb

Johnny Reb Résident du forum Thread Starter

Whether the title should be Richard or Rick, here we are.

The rules for this series: this poll is designed for people familiar with the album in question and with at least some familiarity with some of their other catalog (for comparison purposes). If the poll doesn't interest you, please kindly move on to a thread that does. Please simply consider how YOU would rate the album in question, in comparison with the rest of the Floyd's discography! And as always, a shout-out to member mrjinks for creating all the groundwork for this series.

Note: please use the same criteria for rating these solo albums as you would Pink Floyd as a band albums, so we can compare the results of this poll to, say, The Division Bell. A poll like this only makes sense rating the few - or only - albums of each solo member against something else - the logical choice is their works as a band. This will not change.

So, how do YOU rate this album?

Album history: "Wet Dream is the first solo album by Pink Floyd keyboardist Richard Wright, released in 1978. Wet Dream was self-produced and Wright wrote all the songs himself, except "Against the Odds", which was co-written with his then-wife, Juliette, who, as Juliette Gale, had been a member of one of the early bands that evolved into Pink Floyd. He said, "Doing this album has helped me get back my creative energies for the next Floyd thing." The album went virtually unnoticed at the time.[4] The album has long been out of print in Wright's native UK, but it was re-released on CD in the United States and Canada in the 1990s, with some success, and again in 2008 in Australia, following Wright's death."

Tracklist:
    1. Mediterranean C 3:52
    2. Against The Odds 3:57
    3. Cat Cruise 5:14
    4. Summer Elegy 4:53
    5. Waves 4:19
    6. Holiday 6:11
    7. Mad Yannis Dance 3:19
    8. Drop In From The Top 3:25
    9. Pink's Song 3:28
    10. Funky Deux 4:57

[​IMG]

Previous polls:
    Pink Floyd (updated 10/9, will be updated next poll):
    The Piper at the Gates of Dawn. Currently 602 people have voted, with an average of 4.26.
    A Saucerful of Secrets. Currently 370 people have voted, with an average of 3.79.
    More. Currently 304 people have voted, with an average of 3.37.
    Ummagumma. Currently 440 people have voted, with an average of 3.09.
    Atom Heart Mother. Currently 473 people have voted, with an average of 3.73.
    Meddle. Currently 525 people have voted, with an average of 4.70.
    Obscured by Clouds. Currently 451 people have voted, with an average of 3.86.
    The Dark Side of the Moon. Currently 636 people have voted, with an average of 4.75.
    Wish You Were Here. Currently 776 people have voted, with an average of 4.77.
    Animals. Currently 721 people have voted, with an average of 4.62.
    The Wall. Currently 849 people have voted, with an average of 4.01.
    The Final Cut. Currently 590 people have voted, with an average of 3.08.
    A Momentary Lapse of Reason. Currently 445 people have voted, with an average of 2.97.
    Delicate Sound of Thunder. Currently 258 people have voted, with an average of 2.88.
    The Division Bell. Currently 498 people have voted, with an average of 3.29.
    Pulse. Currently 311 people have voted, with an average of 3.34.
    Is There Anybody Out There? The Wall Live 1980-81. Currently 253 people have voted, with an average of 3.67.
    The Endless River. Currently 476 people have voted, with an average of 2.51.

Syd Barrett:
    The Madcap Laughs. Currently 238 people have voted, with an average of 3.81.
    Barrett. Currently 165 people have voted, with an average of 3.78.
    Opel. Currently 91 people have voted, with an average of 3.38.

Nick Mason:
    Fictitious Sports. Currently 65 people have voted, with an average of 2.65.

David Gilmour:
    David Gilmour. Currently 241 people have voted, with an average of 3.86.
    About Face. Currently 115 people have voted, with an average of 3.24.
    On An Island. Currently 137 people have voted, with an average of 3.42.
    Rattle That Lock. Currently 109 people have voted, with an average of 3.39.

Updated 10/9 - will be updated next poll
    1. Wish You Were Here: 4.77
    2. The Dark Side of the Moon: 4.75
    3. Meddle: 4.70
    4. Animals: 4.62
    5. The Piper at the Gates of Dawn: 4.26
    6. The Wall: 4.01
    7. Obscured by Clouds: 3.86
    8. Syd Barrett - The Madcap Laughs: 3.80
    9. A Saucerful of Secrets: 3.79
    10. Syd Barrett - Barrett: 3.77
    11. Atom Heart Mother: 3.73
    12. Is There Anybody Out There? The Wall Live 1980-81: 3.67
    13. Syd Barrett - Opel: 3.40
    14. More: 3.37
    15. Pulse: 3.34
    16. The Division Bell: 3.29
    17. Ummagumma: 3.09
    18. The Final Cut: 3.08
    19. A Momentary Lapse of Reason: 2.97
    20. Delicate Sound of Thunder: 2.88
    21. Nick Mason - Fictitious Sports: 2.61
    22. The Endless River: 2.51

2. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

Better than I expected. And he's not a terrible lyricist, which makes me wonder why he didn't have much confidence in himself as a wordsmith.

'Holiday', with a bit of tinkering, wouldn't have been out of place on The Wall. Same with 'Against The Odds'.

Some good moments of ominous Rick keyboards with GIlmour-esque guitar from Snowy White, too.

3. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Wet Dream's not bad for what it is. Between Wet Dream and David Gilmour you can sorta see why Waters was so pissed when Gilmour and Wright had nothing to bring to the table for the next Floyd project. Not that Roger minded too much, I'd imagine.

I was lucky to find Wet Dream on vinyl a couple years back, bargain section of one of my local record stores yet...I should give it a another spin one of these days soon.

4. quicksilverbudie

quicksilverbudie quicksilverbudie

Sounds great on vinyl, I like this a lot>

sean

5. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Probably my favorite solo album by a member of Pink Floyd, though the few parts with lyrics are less strong than the instrumentals

RangerXT likes this.
  6. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

Although the record label and the cd booklet credit Rick's wife Juliette for writing the words to 'Against the Odds', it was actually 'Pink's Song', like it says on the original album cover. Pink, in this case, being the Wright family's nanny!

RangerXT and zphage like this.
  7. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

I waffled about whether to go with "Not Bad" or "Pretty Solid" on this one. Fact is, it's not really something I can point to and say, "This is for fans of the Floyd." However, it's a nice kind of summery '70s album competently written and played. It's an album of "Summer '68," which can make or break the whole affair. When pressed, I had to go with "Pretty Solid," because it's a decent all-around record that wouldn't be unwelcome for anyone who is a fan of '70s rock.

Now that I think on it, I should give my copy a spin. It's been a while.

8. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

My favorite Floyd solo album. If I had a yacht it would be my go to lp.

9. Johnny Feathers

Johnny Feathers Forum Resident

I would like to recommend it more highly, but went with "Not bad, overall so-so". I consider this as a sort of "anti-Pink Floyd" album of the time, in that it ditches all of the claustrophobia and darkness that they were conjuring with Animals (and would again on The Wall), and presents a sort of easy listening, "light" alternative. I really like Wright's work overall, so I might be more inclined to listen to him noodle pleasantly than I might others. But it's not an album I could really recommend anyone who isn't already a Pink Floyd fan. I don't think it's going to convince anyone who's not already on board.

EDIT: Ok, I changed to solid effort, realizing that this thread already presumes a familiarity/fondness for Pink Floyd in general.

Billy Infinity, kwadguy and Runicen like this.
  10. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Not bad with a strong trend toward so-so. The only song that I can strongly recall after listening to the whole thing several times is "Against The Odds", which is one of the most wrenchingly depressing songs I've ever heard. I respect the effort though. It just sounds like he was in a bad place when he made this album.

11. Johnny Feathers

Johnny Feathers Forum Resident

This was crazy when I discovered this. When I first saw 'Pink's Song' on the credits, I thought for sure he was writing about the band from his own perspective--it even sounds like something that would have been on The Wall. I remember it having lines like "I've got to leave", and I'm thinking this is the holy grail in terms of him predicting his own termination from the band. Then I find out it's about his nanny. Seriously, what are the odds?

Fullbug likes this.
  12. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

I reviewed it for Musician magazine when it came out. Rather unfavorably.

13. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

Been a while since I've heard it, but I think it was "so you had to leave", meaning the nanny.

14. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

I haven't heard it like 7 years. i have to listen again to vote. my memory was that it lacked guitar solos. I mean he had snowy white but most of the solos were on saxophone. I remember being disappointed at that.

15. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Not bad. It has some fine playing from Snowy and the rhythm section. The synth tones and Rick's singing come across rather less strongly — which is a shame as it's his LP!

16. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

Mel Collins on sax. The only example (save for T Lev on Momentary Lapse) of a Floyd/Crim collaboration?

17. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

Shouldn't this be a sticky post?

18. Love it... After Syd's albums, my fave solo Floyd

19. MichaelCPE

MichaelCPE Senior Member

One of the things in my history of this album is that (back in more innocent days) it took me ages to notice that the swimmer on the back cover was a topless woman.

I enjoy this album, as it has a bit of the feel of the pre Dark Side floyd. I also think that, as with most floyd related, the audio quality is very good. So I rated it a pretty solid effort.

Runicen likes this.
  20. stillrockin

stillrockin Forum Resident

... and eminently preferable to the studio disc of Ummagumma

The Quiet One and mando_dan like this.
  21. Johnny Reb

Broken China coming soon... :)

bhazen and Runicen like this.
  22. Paulo Alm

Paulo Alm Forum Resident

I really enjoy Richard Wright's "Wet Dream"! Full of tasty melodies and soundscapes, a very nice trip overall.

The Quiet One likes this.
  23. Johnny Reb

24. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

Hahaha. It took a second, but I get it.

mando_dan likes this.
  25. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

Album is let down by the vocals, which have the air of "Right, that's that done, can I go back to playing keyboards now?"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.